Strawberry Shortcake Wedding Cake
Posted: 17 July 2012 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-07-17

I wrote this letter after my sister’s wedding was all over, but then realized I didn’t know where to send it. So I hope it’s okay to post it here.

Dear Rose,

Having haunted your blog during the past three months or so, I thought it would be a good idea to send you a picture of my first wedding cake and to express my gratitude for the part you had in making it a success.

First, a little bit of background. If I have time for a hobby, it?s baking or arranging flowers. I live in California, and my three sisters all live in New York. (They are the transplants, not me. grin) When my youngest sister got engaged a few months ago, she asked me to do her flowers for her as I have done for all of my other siblings. She wanted peonies and I was thrilled to be able to work with such a lovely flower and keep it within the budget. But as my other sister and I were discussing cakes, the idea came up that maybe I could do it too. I?m not sure who suggested it first, my husband, my sister, or me. But in any case, the matter was decided and the exchange of ideas and pictures began.

I have your three ?Bibles? already and have baked extensively out of them, but I?d never done a wedding cake. Maybe it?s just the words, but ?wedding? is much more intimidating than ?birthday.? First off, I discovered that the bride had fallen in love with the idea of strawberry shortcake. She sent me a picture of a lovely three tiered cake on Martha Stewart?s web site. But she didn?t like the pillars. So far so good. But then I started looking at pictures on line of ?strawberry shortcake wedding cakes.? That?s when I started seeing what could go wrong. They tend to look horribly messy both before and after being cut.

I started experimenting with cakes and fillings. I quickly concluded that a butter cake was not going to cut well with a whipped cream filling and the bride did not want buttercream. Maybe you know of a way to do it, but I wasn?t having success in my searches or trials. When I tried cutting it, the whipped cream would squish out. So I tried the genoise. Perfect. I decided to use the Grand Marnier syrup to moisten it.

Then there was the matter of the stabilizer for the whipped cream. Cobasin was a bit pricey for how much I would use it, so I decided on gelatin for the top and strawberry conserve made back home for the filling. I also used some of your strawberry puree with wild strawberry essence on each layer for extra flavor and color. After the cake was assembled I used a large round tip to pipe filling between the layers so that it was neat and even around the sides. I think with practice I could do a bit better on that, and the whipped cream was just a tad over whipped, but overall I was happy with the outcome.

Since my sister doesn?t like pillars, I stacked the tiers using straws to support the cardboard cake round. The base tier was 12 inches and the top, 8 inches, giving me extra space for decorating with fresh strawberries. The straws work perfectly. Someone said, ?Cut from the top to the bottom.? Well, they tried to cut from the top through the cardboard to the bottom. And they couldn?t do it. They really tried and the cake hardly moved.

In addition to the large cake, I made and froze five whipped cream bundts. They were a hit, served with a bit of your strawberry puree and a dollop of whipped cream. The Nordicware cake pan was infinitely better than the one I used for testing at home. I?m very much in favor of having the right tools for the job, but I never realized what a difference a better pan would make. Fabulous!

All the baking was done at another sister?s home the week leading up to the wedding. I even got to use a brand new Kitchen Aid mixer?a shower gift to the bride. I myself don?t have a Kitchen Aid, so I was surprised to see how high all the cakes were when they were done. It made for more trimming than I expected, but a Kitchen Aid mixer is definitely on my list of must-haves now.

Thank you so much for your blog. I read everything I could find on butter cakes, genoise, whipped cream, strawberries, stabilizers, even Kitchen Aid mixers! The search engine saved me a lot of time and effort as I learned what would work, what wouldn?t, and what could go wrong. As it was, nothing ended up going wrong, and everyone loved the cake. The goal, to have an attractive and delicious cake, was met. I think anyone could do it since your detailed instructions are perfect, and your support system is wonderful.

Thanks again!

Sorry this post is so long. I tried to just put in what I ended up deciding on rather than all the mental gymnastics I went through. I’m including a couple pics of the cakes and one of the flowers to give you an idea of the style.

Image Attachments
Cake Table.jpgBundt.jpgFlowers.jpg

Posted: 17 July 2012 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, rnest!

Your cakes are beautiful, and they sound delicious! 

Glad you delurked!

—ak

Posted: 18 July 2012 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

Cakes looks wonderful, i like the shape of one in the middle!

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 18 July 2012 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi rnest! Welcome to the forum! Your wedding cake is lovely and goes perfectly with the flowers. I hope to read more of your cake successes in the future.

Posted: 18 July 2012 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

They are all lovely!  The wedding cake is a perfect example of rustic elegance!  I would love to see a slice of it!  Which genoise did you use for the cake?  I love the Heritage bundt pan—the absolute neatest bundt design ever!  Congratulations on your wonderful projects and new brother-in-law!

Posted: 19 July 2012 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Congratulations, they look wonderful!  Wedding cakes are a big undertaking, yours are beautiful!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 19 July 2012 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24

Welcome to the forum.  The cakes look great!!  Thank you for sharing details of your experience.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 26 July 2012 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-07-26

You are welcome. Now you just have to figure out how many 130 cups of fresh strawberries = actual strawberries. Good Luck!

Signature 

http://www.weddeals.ca/

Posted: 01 August 2012 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-07-17
Sherrie - 18 July 2012 09:28 PM

They are all lovely!  The wedding cake is a perfect example of rustic elegance!  I would love to see a slice of it!  Which genoise did you use for the cake?  I love the Heritage bundt pan—the absolute neatest bundt design ever!  Congratulations on your wonderful projects and new brother-in-law!

Thanks! I used the Genoise Classique Base recipe with the master chart in The Cake Bible. Since I was doing three layers not two, I multiplied the Rose factor by 1.5. As for a slice, I’m afraid I was so busy cutting and serving that I forgot to take a picture of that one.

And an update—I just got my KitchenAid! I found a great deal on a 6 quart and KitchenAid was offering a $50 rebate as well. You might say I’m just a wee bit excited. :D

Posted: 01 March 2013 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-03-01

orange county wedding photography: Our philosophy is to be among the best in what we do. Not because we want to prove ourselves to someone but because that is the only way to make our job even more interesting and exiting than it already is. We want to document your memories for all time because it will remain an eternal proof of our creative work and your emotionally important moment in life. Visit: http://www.dinelaphotography.com/