1 of 2
Daisy Cake Pan Replacement
Posted: 18 July 2012 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1652
Joined  2011-02-17

I was asked to bake our granddaughter’s birthday cake this week.  I was thinking of making the She Loves Me cake but do not have the Daisy Cake Pan.  From research I have learned it is 8 1/2x11 or is it 9 1/2 x 11 ( the research is ambiguous).

I have an 8 x 11 Parrish Magic Line rectangular pan. Would that work?  Or a 9 x 13 inch pan?  Would the Milk Chocolate buttercream be a good frosting choice?

Thanks Guys!!

Posted: 18 July 2012 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hey, FG!

The She Loves Me Cake is the All Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Cake, so if you find the recipe in TCB, you can compare the ingredient amounts to see what size pan to use.

I’ve made this cake with the Milk Chocolate Buttercream, and it’s fabulous.  Howeve,r you have to be sure to not refrigerate that buttercream, because it gets hard and doesn’t soften again.

—ak

Posted: 19 July 2012 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you Anne. I did as you suggest and compared the two recipes. It seems the AODYBC, which calls for using two 9 x 1 1/2 pans equals a volume capacity of 12 cups.  The She Loves Me cake calls for a 10-cup bundt or the AWOL Daisy Pan. 

I should probably make the AODYBC in two 9 x 1 1/2 inch pans.

If I wanted to make the She Loves Me, could I use a 9 x 13 pan (capacity 11 cups) ?

I will make sure not to refrigerate that frosting.  I will make it the day of the party (Sunday).

Thank you very much kiss

Posted: 19 July 2012 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hey, FG!

I’ve never made a Rose cake in a 9 x 13 pan—I’m not sure if they work in these or not with that long 13” span.  I’m sure someone else will know, though.  As an opinion, it seems possible, becuase the daisy pan is a rectangle without a post in the middle (i.e., large volume without a heating core).  At the same time, I’m not sure if it’s flatter, and the daisy pieces could “segregate” batter to help it cook.

You will love, love, love the milk chocolate buttercream.  It is amazing!!!!!!!  Of course, you probably won’t eat it, but I’m telling you, it’s hot stuff!!!  *sigh*  I would like some right now.  Send me your spatula!!!  It won’t be any trouble making it the day of the party, becuase you can make it in a snap—just be sure to give enough time for the melted chocolate to cool so it doesn’t melt the softened butter.

—ak

Posted: 19 July 2012 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Can I send you the entire bowl until I need it? It is not safe in my house tongue wink

I think I shouldn’t experiment this time. I’ll make TCB version this time and search for a 10 cup rectangular pan for the future.

Thanks for the cooling tip. That is a big help!

Posted: 20 July 2012 01:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 19 July 2012 02:27 PM

You will love, love, love the milk chocolate buttercream.

Talking to my husband, he mentioned he really loves the Dreamy Creamy frosting and that chocolate buttercream in layers sounds like a lot of chocolate. I told him how you rave about it and that our granddaughter would probably like chocolate. But, since she is only 4, she will probably like anything on cake. 

Do you think the Dreamy Creamy frosting would work with this cake or should I stick to the chocolate? 

One other question: To facilitate frosting, should I freeze the base layers prior to frosting?

Thanks again,

me

P.S. if I don’t make the chocolate buttercream, I think I might make the Chocolate Semifreddo recently posted on the blog.

Posted: 20 July 2012 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I think the Dreamy Creamy would be fabulous with it!!!  I’d definitely feel totally comfortable going that direction!

Posted: 20 July 2012 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

That’s great to know, thank you! As you know, my husband is not a chocolate fan.

May I ask you, can I bake the cake today? If I do, should I freeze it or refrigerate it? I need it for Sunday.

Posted: 20 July 2012 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hey, FG!

Absolutlely!!!  I’d go head and bake it and frost it.  Just make sure the entire cake is covered with frosting, sealing it against the serving platter (so no air gets to the cake), cover it, and keep it in the fridge.  If you don’t have a cover for your platter, freeze the cake until the frosting is firm (probably about 45 minutes or less), then cover it with plastic wrap.  Before removing the plastic wrap,  freeze it again (45 minutes or less)—then remove the plastic wrap—this way you don’t mar the cake. 

If it’s 2 layers, give it a good 5 hours to come to room temp on Sunday.

It will be magnificent!!!!  Can’t wait to hear about it!

FWIW, though, my fave yellow cake is the Golden Luxury Butter Cake.  That’s not to say that the All American Downy Yellow Butter cake isn’t fab—all Rose’s yellow cakes are, OMG, amazing!

—ak

Posted: 20 July 2012 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I read your post too late. I have two 9 x 1 1/2 inch pans in the oven baking the AODYBC right now. Unfortunately, I cannot frost them this morning. I have all the chocolate I needed for the other recipe but now I have to get cream cheese rolleyes

Can I wrap the cooled bases in plastic and stick them in the refrig till Sunday or should I frost them late this afternoon?

I never tried the Golden Luxury Butter Cake. I have an event coming up in August. Maybe I can make it then with the Milk Chocolate Buttercream since I now have all the chocolate I will need LOL

Posted: 20 July 2012 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, FG!

You can definitely wrap them in plastic and refrig until Sunday, or you can frost anytime between now and Sunday.

I like to frost ahead of time, myself.  I feel like a composed cake that gets to sit for a day or two moisture balances nicely.  So, if it were me, I’d frost today or tomorrow—but that’s just my opinion, and you can certainly frost Sunday if that works better for you (or more conveniently re storage).

Just be sure to make sure they’re well wrapped.  You can also freeze them if you want, but I wouldn’t consider it necessary at all if you’re serving Sunday (or even as long as Tuesday).  I have a personal preference for previously-frozen cakes, but I’m sure I’m in a small group there.

—ak

Posted: 20 July 2012 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thanks Anne! That is very good to hear. I’ll frost it later when I get home from the store.

When I freeze a cake I usually wait for the next day so that the flavors will marry (I usually freeze quick breads).  In this case, by the time it is frozen, it will need to be defrosted.  As long as you think it will stay fresh in a cake keeper, I can frost it and refrigerate it until Sunday afternoon. 

Since it is the cream cheese frosting should I take it out 2 hours before serving???

Posted: 20 July 2012 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I think it will absolutely be fine in the cake keepter until Sunday.

Re the cream cheese—it’s up to you.  Personally, I prefer cold cake, but I am, again, in the minority. 

That said, once the cake is cut, it will come to room temperature more quickly, but not necessarily before the chilly slice on the plate has been consumed!!! 

Altough I am no food scientist, I would think that, as it comes to room temp over the 2-5 hour period, it is, generally cold, so it’s not a health hazard.  However, I am rather cavalier about such things—I think stuff can generally sit out for a good while, problem free, but that’s just my personal opinion (and no one’s gotten sick off one of my cakes).

Posted: 20 July 2012 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

That’s good to hear, thank you Anne !!! 

I’m glad to know I can take the cake out a few hours before serving!  And, I’m also glad to know nobody has gotten sick from your cakes LOL LOL

Thank you SO much Anne !!!!

Posted: 20 July 2012 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

My pleasure.  That yellow cake with the creamy dreamy will be soooooooooo good!!!!!  I think it will be even better than with chocolate, really.

Posted: 20 July 2012 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Yay! I’m excited!

I’m very comfortable making that frosting. The chocolate would be new to me.

I’m planning to make 2x the recipe. One of the bases didn’t bake evenly so I will have to stick some extra frosting in there to even it up a bit

1 of 2