2 of 2
Daisy Cake Pan Replacement
Posted: 20 July 2012 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Extra cream cheese frosting—boo hoo!!!  Twist my arm!

Posted: 21 July 2012 02:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1651
Joined  2011-02-17

LOL  The boo Hoo to me is I’m not having any

Posted: 23 July 2012 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

My very first birthday cake. Whew! I’m glad its done. There is a lot I need to learn. It was nerve racking and exhilarating at the same time.

I encountered some difficulties with the construction of the cake.

The main problem is one of the bases was not even. It was noticeably lower on one side.  I tried to level the cake without reducing the height as much as possible. I felt I needed to fill the difference with extra frosting.

Initially I made 3x Dreamy Creamy frosting recipe.  It eventually served as a top coat and filling.  I made another 2x recipe to finish the cake.

All in all, I was pleased with the result.

I tasted a little. The cake was great. I didn’t really love this frosting with this cake but my husband was happy and my 4 year old granddaughter was excited.

Thank you Anne, for all your help kiss

Image Attachments
IMG_5655.jpg

Posted: 23 July 2012 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

The cake is BEAUTIFUL!!!  I love your piped writing and the sprinkles!  I love how the sprinkes are graduated, as well.

Wow, I would have thought the tangy cream cheese frosting would go great with a yellow cake, but I admit that I am a cream cheese head, so I will always be a bit prejudiced in favor of cream cheese in any context.  Ditto cinnamon.  In fact, I almost suggested adding cinnamon to it, but I wasn’t sure if it was just my cinnamon mania speaking.

Sometimes you get lucky with bases and they’re both not even, so you can sort of use the tall side of one to correspond with the short side of the other, but one uneven base does complicate things!  It looks perfect, though, from here!  I would have wanted to know where the uneven part was so I could get the extra frosting in my slice!

Posted: 23 July 2012 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you Anne. The sprinkles started to fall on it’s own. I thought it would be easier to put them on the sides than try to clean it up. I like how it turned out too.  We had a # 4 candle that matched the sprinkles.

I couldn’t distinguish where the uneven section was after it was complete. It really turned out well.

I love the cream cheese frosting. My husband prefers it to anything else. But, one of the guests thought the cake was too rich.  But, she has been dieting and hasn’t had sweets in a long time. 

My husband brought cake to work with him today.  I’m sure I will get the raves I always get when I make any of Rose’s recipes.

I used Rose’s cake strips. Both tops were not domed.  The uneven base must have been my error. I always find it hard to make a batter level.

Thank you for the tip! One of the bases was perfectly straight.  The next time I make a layer cake, I will know how to align the bases should they be uneven.

Posted: 25 July 2012 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

FG, it looks amazing!  I love the festive vibe smile  You did a great job of evening out the layers, trimming and filling with frosting is the sort of stuff we all do when assembling a layer cake. 

Re: uneven layers, it could be that your oven has a slight tilt to the rack- not your fault at all!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 25 July 2012 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you!!!

That is good to know because I am sure there is no way I would have put the pan in with THAT much of a difference. Some difference yes, but this was a lot. I’ll ask my husband to check it out.

Posted: 07 August 2012 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Julie - 25 July 2012 01:26 PM

Re: uneven layers, it could be that your oven has a slight tilt to the rack- not your fault at all!

Hi Julie, I just wanted to tell you that you were 100% right. I was cooking on the largest burner the other day and noticed the oil was pooling toward the front of the skillet. I brought it to my husband’s attention and told him what you said about the cakes being uneven. That is when he noticed the back of the range was higher than the counter top and the front of the range was lower than the counter top. Neither of us ever noticed it before. His level confirmed the front neede to be raised. It was an easy fix with a wrench.

Last night I baked corn bread for dinner and it was perfectly level. I think this is the first time anything I baked was geometrically correct.

Thank you very much kiss

Posted: 07 August 2012 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

How awesome!!!

Posted: 07 August 2012 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Glad to be of service, m’am! smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 07 August 2012 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

Beautiful birthday cake Flour Girl! I didn’t doubt you will make something nice like this!

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 07 August 2012 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you Anne and Julie!

And thank you Cookie Monster. You are a real sweetie!

Posted: 08 August 2012 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

You ‘re welcome and keep up the good work!

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway

2 of 2