Peach layer cake
Posted: 19 July 2012 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-07-19

This may be a crazy question—but I am trying to find a recipe for a peach cake.  Not a cake with bits of peach in it, but a cake probably made with a peach puree.  So that the cake itself is peach.  I cannot find such a recipe anywhere.  It’s true some peaches would be riper, “pulpier” (is there such a word??), etc and that could affect consistency—but since we can make banana cakes and banana breads that are also made from ripe and over-ripe bananas, wouldn’t it be the same with peaches?  And yet I have come up with nothing.  Can anyone make suggestions?  Or is there a reason why a truly peach cake is impossible to make?  Thanks so much for any opinions/ideas, etc.

Posted: 19 July 2012 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, kmiller, and welcome!

This isn’t going to be terribly helpful, but I had some peach muffins the other day that had chopped up peaches in them.  I don’t know if it would work in a cake pan or not, unless it was a very small one.  It’s possible that it could with leavening adjustments.  Could possiby work in a bread pan.  Although I haven’t seen the recipe, it no doubt has the “muffin mixing” rather than “cake mixing” method. 

If you would like the recipe, I can ask for it.  It doesn’t use puree—it uses chopped up peaches.

—ak

Posted: 19 July 2012 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-07-19

Thank you so much for your speedy response!!  Alas, I was trying to avoid dices or chunks of peach—I am trying to go for a cake that simply looks peach when you cut it—and of course has the peach flavor!  So it would be similar to, say, devil’s food—where while chocolate is in it, it is not in chips, bits, chunks—the chocolate is through the entire cake.  So not a white or yellow cake with dots of peach.  Just a peach-colored, peach-flavored layer cake.  I do have peach extract that I bought online, and that’s okay for flavor, but I just can imagine doing it with fresh peach puree of some kind.  And that’s the recipe I have never seen…...

Posted: 20 July 2012 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

My pleasure. The only other thing I can think of is powdered, freeze dried peaches.  A lot of them.  You can powder them in a food process and mix them with just enough water to make them into a paste.  Then you can mix them with your cake’s liquid (adding the liquid to the past slowly, stirring it, to make sure it incorporates fully).

Will this work?  I don’t know, but it seems plausible.  Does it need a leavening change?  Maybe.

To me, the advantage of freeze dried is that all of the moisture has been removed from the fruit, so you can use more fruit for a stronger fruit flavor, without making your cake too liquidy or having to substitute the fruit juice for the cake’s other liquid. 

I have never done this before, myself, but I have thought of it often.  I mostly use freeze dried fruits in buttercream.

Let us know where you go with your peach cake idea!!!!