Texture of Designer Chocolate Baby Grands
Posted: 21 July 2012 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

I am thinking of making these for a pal’s birthday, but what are they like?

When I read the recipe—an oil cake (very soft), with ganache syrup and then glaze—it seems like it would be a chocolate goosh.  But, since it’s Rose’s recipe, I figure it’s probably not goosh.

Can anyone tell me what these things are like?

Thanks!

—ak

Posted: 21 July 2012 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2009-11-24

Hey Anne,  I have never made the cupcakes but the cake is not gooshy…. I love this cake even with out the milk choc syrup.  In cake, this is one of my top two favorites….so far.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 21 July 2012 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

The cakes are very spongy—similar, really, to a chiffon (or I suppose it really is a type of chiffon).  I make it alot!  If you want to make the cupcakes—I recall that I used about 20-21 grams of batter per cupcake.  This makes for a smaller, flat cupcake, but it is much easier to put the glaze on and less messy.  I find the directions for assembling and composing the grands to be very MESSY.  What I have done is bake the smaller cupcakes (watch the time—mine finished in 13.5 mins) and then syrup (if using), ganache (if ganaching), and then glaze.  If you underfill, you will have room for the glaze and ganache so your cupcakes will look like the ones in the book.  If you follow the directions, you will have a giant mess.  Don`t take the foil off the cups.  I`ve made larger batches and have had to leave a pan sit out while the others baked and that will make for a domed cupcake, FYI. 

For a regular, frost the top kind of cupcake, I used about 30g and let the pans sit.  Baked in about 17 mins. 

I agree with CRenee…it`s one of the best chocolate cake/cupcakes recipes I use.  I’ve made a wedding cake, cupcakes, celebration cakes and it’s always a hit!  You are in for a real treat!

Posted: 25 July 2012 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, CRenee and Sherrie!  And Sherrie, thanks for the baking tips for the grands!!!!!

I know the texture of the cake itself—actually, it’s not one of my faves, becuase I don’t like oil cakes, but it is the fave of some folks here at work.  What I was wondering is what is the texture of the composed baby grand?  With the syrup “in” them and glaze, do they get a sort of brownie texture or do they retain a cake texture?  I can’t figure the texture of a soft cupcake with semi-liquid (syrup)/semi firm (glaze) stuff added to it.  I would definitely make them with the syrup and glaze, and do each one about the 20g recommended.

Thanks again!

Posted: 25 July 2012 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

The baby grands definitely retain a cake texture.  I think it’s a bit moister and richer, but still very much cake like.  I don’t know if I have any pics of a baby grand’s interior, but I do have pics of a wedding cake slice (essentially the same stuff…).  Definitely not a brownie…

Image Attachments
cake.jpg

Posted: 26 July 2012 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Sherrie—Thank you so much for that info!  I’m so glad I asked, becuase I got to see apicture of your beautiful presentation and read about its fab components!

So, let me ask you this, since you have so much experience inthis area!  If you were to make the baby grands, would you make them as written (except with a smaller amount of batter and components for each grand), or would you change a component—using a flavored ganache or a different whatever???

Posted: 26 July 2012 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17
Sherrie - 25 July 2012 09:36 PM

The baby grands definitely retain a cake texture.  I think it’s a bit moister and richer, but still very much cake like.  I don’t know if I have any pics of a baby grand’s interior, but I do have pics of a wedding cake slice (essentially the same stuff…).  Definitely not a brownie…

Sherrie, that is a beautiful cake and presentation. I have to say I am actually humbled to be around such gifted people.

Posted: 26 July 2012 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

I would make the baby grands as written (aside from making them smaller as they look much neater and far less messy).  You may be interested in Butter Yum’s post—she used to visit here and she’s who gave me the idea:  http://butteryum.blogspot.ca/search?q=designer

If you read the post and then scroll to the bottom of her page she also has a wedding cake made from it too.

I really like the babies as is.  That said, the raspberry ganache would be delish (and a garnish of a raspberry would be cute on the shiny top….).  I’ve even made them without ganache and just do 2 coats of glaze.  Sometimes I skip the syrup.  I think the ideal topping is something that can be poured so it levels out.  I’ve made them several times and here are few other pics to help give an idea of texture.  I guess I really, REALLY like this recipe!!! ha ha! 
I also did these ones:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/3280/P0/
And these:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/3490/

@Anne & FG:  Thank you, but I wasn’t totally happy with the presentation (step like pattern to the edge of the cake—my sides sometimes slope…and that’s what happens)...and I’d say both of you hold your own quite well here…I’m always impressed with everyone’s work smile  I usually come away from reading posts with new ideas!

Posted: 27 July 2012 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Sherrie!  It was fun revisiting your baby grands (and other baking)!!!!

I saw butteryum’s post before—googled and came across it—truly inspirational!

Thank you so much for all your thoughtful answers (and your kind words)!!  I also always come away from posts with new ideas, and my bucket list is long, long, long!!!

Posted: 27 July 2012 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Oh, phooey, I have another question!

This birthday is on a Tuesday, and I’ll be making these on the Sunday before.  Normally, when I make a cake, I compose it all ahead of time and freeze (if several weeks) or refrigerate it (is several days) in the cake carrier, but I’ve never done cupcakes.

If I use the foil liners—and bake in them like butteryum (removing the paper liner), do you think these will stay fresh in a cupcake carrier from Sunday to Tuesday?  Would you suggest leaving the carrier on the counter or the fridge?

Would it be best to do everything else ahead, but heat and pour the laquer on Tuesday morning?

I’m concerned about them drying out or the wrappers becoming funky with storage.

Thanks!!!!!!

—ak

Posted: 27 July 2012 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

I have frozen the baby grands (composed) and they were ok, but for absolute perfection I wouldn’t freeze with the glaze but it would be ok to freeze all of the other components assembled.  I’m really not sure what I’d do with the carrier…I think they would stay fresh in the fridge if syruped and ganached and in liners (esp. foil).  Yes to pouring the lacquer on Tuesday morning, but you could possibly do it on Monday night, too.  They do take awhile to set.  I’ve had baby grands in the freezer for awhile and they do stay fresh for quite some time.

Posted: 27 July 2012 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks again, Sherrie—I appreciate it so much!