1 of 2
Phew - first wedding cake experience over!
Posted: 21 July 2012 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2009-06-28

I don’t post often, but this group has been invaluable in offering information and advice on my first wedding cake journey. Every time I had a question, all I had to do was search here and find the answer. Thank you!

I thought I’d share the results of our collective efforts. Phew! They survived and looked perfect for the rustic, English country setting in a barn in Dorset.

Main cake was Woody’s luxury lemon layers, with lemon curd, fresh raspberries, and the “golden dream” white chocolate frosting.

“Satellite” cakes were:
- biscuit, soaked with hazelnut syrup, filled with hazelnut chocolate ganache, and frosted with vanilla mousseline
- carrot cake (from RHC)
- hot milk sponge, soaked with peach liquor, filled with a peach preserve puree, and frosted with peach mousseline

My husband and best friend managed the decorating with fresh flowers while I did assembly and repair. Great team work.

Image Attachments
fromfront.jpgfromtop.jpg

Posted: 21 July 2012 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Julie!

That is some amazing cake baking!!  And the cakes are all so pretty.

The Woody’s lemon luxury layers is my favorite yellow cake—the Golden Luxury Butter Cake.  That “main cake” sounds so delicious! 

Actually, all of the cakes sound fabulous—hazelnut, peach, carrot, lemon—did everyone rave????

Your hubby and best friend did a beautiful job with the flowers!

—ak

Posted: 21 July 2012 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2009-05-25

BEAUTIFUL!  And holy cow that is alot of cake!  Fabulous job…truly… and a real labour of love!  They all sound like they are incredible!  Well done and I bet the couple was thrilled.

Posted: 22 July 2012 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Goegeous cakes. I love the setting and your cakes were perfect.

Posted: 22 July 2012 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Beautifully done, congratulations!  You baked so many different flavors and textures of cake, they all sound absolutely delicious and look perfect.  So happy you posted!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 23 July 2012 03:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-28

Thank you for all the kind words. Definitely have developed some new knowledge and skills!

Posted: 23 July 2012 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Love the various textures of the butter cream. I’ve never seen the one on the lavender cake before—any tips for how you achieved that? What was the favorite flavor of the reception? Beautiful work!

Posted: 24 July 2012 03:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-28

For the lavender cake, I created a smooth surface, and then used a very small off-set spatula (about the width of a table knife) and did overlapping horizontal circles while using a turntable. I tried to stagger where the “lift and reset” points were so they look random. I’ve attached the inspiration picture, so you can see what I was trying to achieve. I’ve also attached a picture of how they looked just after I finished frosting, on the day before the wedding.

With the golden dream buttercream, I did have texture issues. I froze the cakes with a heavy crumb coat, and then applied the final frosting layer the day before the wedding, with the cake still frozen. Between the temperature of the cake, and then going back in the fridge to finish defrosting for the day, the buttercream lost its glossy texture, and instead had a rougher, spongier look. For this wedding it was fine. Nothing was supposed to look too finished, and the lighting was incredibly dim. But if I had the time to frost on the day at room temperature, I think it would have been a better result.

That “frosting while frozen” technique worked beautifully with the carrot cake - the cream cheese frosting was SO easy to apply to the frozen crumb cake and looked glossy and fabulous at every temperature. So, definitely depends on the type of frosting.

Image Attachments
191543790371119479_wJlskr4q_f.jpegDSCF0064.jpg

Posted: 24 July 2012 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Thanks for the explanation. I’m going to try the technique on the lavender sometime. I think it looks great.

Posted: 24 July 2012 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

Cakes seems wonderful and excellent decoration with lavender!!! I have lavender in my garden but i never had on my mind to decorate some food i make. Very nice idea!

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 25 July 2012 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

I, too, love the texture you’ve created on the sides with the offset spatula- going to try to remember that for my next layer cake as it’s beautiful but also looks approachable and like it could hide a flaw or two. smile 
Thanks for posting!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 25 July 2012 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

I’m wondering how it is this combination of lavender aroma and cake. I’m trying to imagine but it is very difficult smile

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 25 July 2012 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1180
Joined  2009-11-24

Very good looking cakes…definitely fantastic for a first cake.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 26 July 2012 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I haven’t been online in a while. Just beautiful!  They look and sound delicious. ...by the way…could you send me your recipe for the hot milk sponge…been looking for a good one.

Thanks so much

Posted: 26 July 2012 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

Just got back to the States from Dorset, Julie B. We loved it there. Your cakes look amazing.

Posted: 27 July 2012 02:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-28

I didn’t notice any “lavender” contamination. The cake was VERY lemony between the curd and the extra limoncello I soaked it with grin

In terms of hot milk sponge, I used the one from the new Miette cookbook. A bit of faffing for sure, but seems reliable and good structure.

1 of 2