Pomegranate curd?
Posted: 25 July 2012 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-07-21

I’ve gotten a request for pomegranate cupcakes now.  Do you think you would make pomegranate curd the same way as lemon curd?  I’m thinking I’d use Pom instead of lemon juice in the lemon curd recipe and then mix that into mousseline buttercream.  Maybe also up the pomegranate flavor by substituting Pom for lemon juice in a lemon cake.

Think it would work?

Posted: 25 July 2012 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Mom!

I don’t think I was able to answer your last posted question, and, again, I’m only giving a guess here, but I’m thinking you might want to reduce the Pom in the microwave to 1/2 or 1/3 its original volume to intensify its flavor before using it.  So, if you want 1/2 cup of Pom, start with 1.5 cups and reduce.  Reducing in the microwave works well because it doesn’t caramelize the juices, but you need to use a container about 4x the size of the original volume becuase it bubbles up a lot.  If you spray the inside lightly, it won’t bubble over.

FWIW, the pomwonderful.com site has a $1 coupon at the moment.

—ak

Posted: 25 July 2012 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

The acidity of the juice plays a role in the thickening power of the curd.  So you may want to reduce the juice as Anne states, but also add some lemon juice or else use gelatin to thicken the curd.  Check the directions for juice orange curd if you have the PPB.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 25 July 2012 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-21

I don’t have PPB, only the Cake Bible, but I just checked.  There’s a recipe fcr Orange Curd that says to reduce 1 cup OJ down to 2 TBS, so I’ll try that with the Pom.

Thanks!

now if I can just find fresh pomegranate seeds out of season.  Wouldn’t that be pretty sprinkled across the tops of the cupcakes?

Posted: 27 July 2012 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-21

I wanted to thank you for the helpful hints.  I made pomegranate curd by reducing down the POM and adding a little lemon juice and it came out with the perfect consistency.  Then I added it to mousseline buttercream and it came out perfect!  Have to admit that the mix of POM and egg yolks was a bit of an unappealing color, so I added a little gel food coloring to give it a nice pink hue.

Thanks for the help!

Which cake recipe would you recommend to make pomegranate cupcakes?  Anything that I could add POM juice or POM curd to?