Easy Pie and Ice Cream
Posted: 27 July 2012 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  917
Joined  2009-05-25

I had planned to make Rose’s Rhubarb Pie with some vanilla ice cream when I came to the sudden realization that I was out of cornstarch.  I have made the light custard rhubarb pie variation before so I decided to make that instead (uses no cornstarch) but this posed a couple of problems…I wouldn’t have enough eggs to make the ice cream…so I found the lemon luscious ice cream in PPB and used some frozen lemon curd.  If you have some on hand, this is the easiest ice cream ever…. just add a wee bit more sugar, milk, and cream to it (slowly) and it’s ready to go in the ice cream maker (it’s cold already, so no need to chill).  I love that I didn’t need to cook a custard (well…I did, but ages ago) and that the ice cream mixture didn’t need to be chilled prior to making.  Add in some frozen pie dough, and it’s a really nice dessert with minimal work. 

FYI, I often use frozen rhubarb so when I’ve made the light custard version in the past, the eggs sort of cook around the rhubarb (not very nice) so this time I defrosted the rhubarb a little in the microwave and then added the sugar/lemon zest to it and then whisked the eggs together and gently mixed it in with the rhubarb…this worked out much nicer…if I get around to a photo, I will post it. 

This experience got me to thinking the lemon chiffon cake with lemon ice cream and rhubarb curd would be an ultra yummy dessert combo!  I may be trying this once the weather cools down!

Posted: 31 July 2012 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Wow, this all sounds fabulous!  I’m going to go right now and write a note in my PPB about freezing the rhubarb smile

I’ve also been thinking about making the lemon luscious ice cream, there aren’t any good lemon ice creams for sale around here and both me and my daughter love it.  I made her a lemon ice cream cake for her sixth brithday, it was great.  That one was just a shell of biscuit roulade filled with the ice cream, but I think the chiffon would be better and could be a thicker layer.

I do hope you’ll post a photo of the light custard pie, that’s the only rhubarb pie from PPB I haven’t made yet.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 31 July 2012 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  917
Joined  2009-05-25

There will be no pic, sadly.  The last piece that I was going to photograph was quite a mess so next time…it makes a beautiful coral color.