Bread proofing box
Posted: 28 July 2012 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-07-28

I live on the Oregon coast where the temperature rarely exceeds 70 degrees.  It seems to take much longer for my bread to rise than the Bread Bible states, and I think a bread proofing box would solve the problem.  However, a search of sources listed in the Bible has not yielded any proofing boxes.  Has anyone had experience finding this product?

Posted: 29 July 2012 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

the new Brod & Taylor. Julie works for them, I believe. It’s a fairly new product. I’m also thinking of getting one for the cool months here. But you can use it for many more things other than bread proofing.

Posted: 29 July 2012 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-11-16

King Arthur now carries the bread proofer , it was in their latest catalog.  I have one, and it is wonderful!

Posted: 29 July 2012 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

a proofing box…see I did not even know there was such a thing.  I just love this forum.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 31 July 2012 01:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

And if you want to opt for easy and inexpensive a cardboard box works pretty well. Especially with an open container of hot water inside.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 31 July 2012 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks all, for pointing out the B&T Proofer!  Here’s a link to the website:  http://brodandtaylor.com/

Rose has added it to the equipment section of the latest printing of the Cake Bible smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 08 July 2013 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2013-06-25

This comment may now be irrelevant since it was posted last year, but I thought I might comment as an avid artisan bread baker and fellow Oregonian who has had a similar proofing problem. I’m not sure where I first saw this idea, but it works! If you have a microwave and a pyrex cup, you can make your own bread proofing box.

I put a 1-cup pyrex cup of water in my microwave for approximately 2 minutes. At the point it is very hot and makes a perfect mild heat source. Push the cup back into a corner of the microwave to allow room for your bread bowl, place your bread into the microwave (without turning it on) and you have a perfect insulated bread proofing box.