1 of 2
Troubleshooting White chocolate Whisper cake
Posted: 01 August 2012 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2011-05-15

I would really like your expertise in helping me figure this out!
So far i have baked this cake thrice , each time with the same result! it looks kinda wet in spots like it has been soaked in syrup in spots , dense not the fine grain and lightness that one would expect from a white cake. Its moist yes but dense ( did i already say that? =) ) and just i dont know it s not light and fluffy which was what i was aiming for.
Yest i made a half batch for 2 6inch pans ,and the those came out kinda heavy , i had used my measuring spoons to measur the baking powder ( generic supermarket measuring spoons)
The second half batch i whipped again and this time i measurd the baking powder out to 11 gms for half batch and these cakes rose higher and were on inspection more fluffier also when i held a cake each from the first and second batch the second one was considerably lighter!!  , however still the kinda wet looking spots here and there ! 
I checked my baking powder ,it is well within its expiry date-  weigh all my ingredients save the salts and powders. I have never adjusted the leavening when i use 6 inch pans but have never had a texture problem so far…however this cake uses quite a bit of baking powder so if the amount was off would it produce such a result?
The client claimed to have loved all the other components of the cake , the white chocolate mousseline. strawberry silk meringue and marinated strawberries with praline feuillete… But the cke for them was a little dense they said and were wondering if that was how it was supposed to be?! Please please please help me figure this out!!!

Posted: 01 August 2012 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Hmmmm… as far as the “wet” spots are concerned, what flour did you use, and which white chocolate?  Could the cake have been underbaked? Could the pans have been filled too full?  Sorry, that’s a lot to check!

re: the dense texture, Have you made this cake before?  The higher saturation and sharp melting point of cocoa butter result in a finer (some might say denser) crumb and a firmer mouthfeel, yet the cake should melt in the mouth much like chocolate does.  The combination of the firmer cake and the more emulsified (denser) crumb may not produce the texture you were imagining.  It is quite different from the (softer) white velvet cake.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 02 August 2012 03:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

i used cake flour and valrhona ivoire white chocolate. i checked the intrnal temp and it was spot on as well! the pans were definitely less than half even! i have made this cake before and it was pretty much the same btu what puzzles me is the height and more so than the height the wet spots!! they look really really i dont know maybe gummy like texture??? i really want to figure this out!!  and if this kinda denseness is what i should be expecting then what cake should i try to get a fluffy light white cake ?

Posted: 02 August 2012 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Choco!

I had extended problems similar to this, and it turned out to be the baking powder, even though it was well within in the expiry date.  Have you very recently made a cake with the same baking powder?

Also, here is how to test baking powder and baking soda:

That said, I just did a search, and here?s how to test your baking soda and baking powder:
To test baking soda: Put a few tablespoons of white vinegar into a small bowl and add a teaspoon of baking soda. It should bubble up furiously, and the foaming should take several moments to subside. The more bubbles, the more potent the baking soda. If there is no reaction, or you only end up with a handful of small bubbles, you need to replace you baking soda.

To test baking powder: Put a few tablespoons of warm water (warm tap water is fine, but cold water is not) into a small bowl and add a teaspoon of baking powder. The mixture should make a fizzing noise and, after a moment, the baking powder will begin to fizz and the water will become very cloudy with tiny bubbles. The more bubbles, the fresher the baking powder. Baking powder reacts with liquids and heat, but does not react as well with cold water (even fresh powder won?t fizz much in ice water), so do not use it for this test.

I also hear it’s good to “shake up” your baking powder before using it as the rising agents can settle on the bottom.  Don’t know if it’s true or not, but I do it now!!

—ak

Posted: 03 August 2012 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16
chocoholic - 02 August 2012 06:48 AM

what cake should i try to get a fluffy light white cake ?

The White Velvet from Cake Bible or RHC is softer and fluffier than the white chocolate whisper.  However, I must say that Rose’s goal in formulating butter cakes is not really flufffiness, but a velvety texture.  Try the white velvet and see what you think- it’s very popular.  But if even that isn’t fluffy enough, then consider making the same formula with the creaming technique, and if that isn’t fluffy enough then consider making a sponge cake like angel food.

Sorry, I’m not really sure what’s causing your gummy spots!  Anne’s idea sounds like a good thing to check.  Also, is it possible that some of your white chocolate was in solid form when the cake went into the oven?  Either because it didn’t melt completely or because it was too cool when incorporated and solidified when it hit the cooler batter?  White chocolate in solid form (unless it’s a white chip specially formulated not to melt) will melt and leave a gap in its place, coated wth the melted white chocolate.

Signature 

Posted: 04 August 2012 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

oknso i checked my baking powder its well produced in 2012 expires in 2013. the chocolate was completely melted but it was kinda cool however i did not notice any lumps or chunkiness in the batter whatsoever..so im not sure abt that… my fluffiness i meant wel hmm how do i say this ? see the texture i noticed in most other ppls white chocolate whisper was very fine nd ight nd also high nd it most defiitely looked LIGHT ! mine was short stout and very very dense looking !!! oh how i wish i could bake this right !! in any case i am going to bake the non chocolate version and see.. to redeem myself nd feel better i baked the cake portion of the german chocolate oh how i love its spongy moist texture ! syruped it with milk chocolate and filled with praline silk meringue and frosted with caramel ganache ! these cakes rose wonderfully nd baked up well the only difference i made in baking this cake and the last was that i baked these at 160 C. and the whisper cake i baked at 170c. i have a convection oven.i usually bake them at 170 and never encountered any problems but now with all this im starting to rethink.. could it have been the higher temp that contributed to it?

Posted: 04 August 2012 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16
chocoholic - 04 August 2012 09:11 AM

the whisper cake i baked at 170c. i have a convection oven.i usually bake them at 170 and never encountered any problems but now with all this im starting to rethink.. could it have been the higher temp that contributed to it?

Could be.  170C is a tad high if you are also using convection.  Were the cakes domed or flat?

Sounds like your germ choc cake was fabulous!

Signature 

Posted: 04 August 2012 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

the german chocolate cake was fabulous!  however the weight of the ganache on top kinda squished the whole cake down .. im guessing that wouldnt happen with a butter cake? Also i had to go very rustic on the smoothing cause the ganache as delicious as it was , was too soft to smooth with.
And as for the whsper cake..it was kinda domed in the oven but it was straight when i took it out..honestly this cake has got me all messed up !

Posted: 05 August 2012 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I’m stumped, too!  Was your flour the new unbleached cake flour from KAF?

Signature 

Posted: 05 August 2012 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

nope we just get one type of cake flpur here. something called snowflake. thats what i use for all the cakes.

Posted: 06 August 2012 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I checked Premier Foods’ website but did not see enough product information to tell if Snowflake Cake Flour is bleached or not.  In most of Europe, bleached flours are banned at the retail level.  It’s possible that your locally available cake flour isn’t bleached, which could cause the problems you’re reporting.  Perhaps a quick email to the manufacturer to find out if the flour is bleached?

Have you had success with other butter cakes from Rose?

If it turns out your flour is not bleached, check over on the blog for “The Power of Flour” for adjustments.

Signature 

Posted: 07 August 2012 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

Thanks Julie, it had never occurred to me ever EVER check if my cake flour was bleached or not..stupid me! Will mail them and check up on that. I think the reason i never dwelved into that was cause i havent faced any problem when baking with any of the other cakes from either the CB or HC. =( However now i am seriouslt beginning to doubt if the textures i acheived were infact what were intended? =/ My goodness what pickle iN any case will check up and hunt around for another brand of flour in between.

Posted: 07 August 2012 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

aND ITS not bleached!!! Thank you!!!! now i must figure out a way to get bleached cake flour and retest everything!!!

Posted: 07 August 2012 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Check the “Power of Flour” posts over on the blog, they give adjustments to make Rose’s butter cakes work with unbleached flours (there are four posts in all).  For sponge-type cakes (like the German Choc) and oil cakes you don’t need to makes any adjustments, your cake flour should work just fine.

Signature 

Posted: 08 August 2012 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

I Know!!! i was thinkign hmm it must not make any difference in the german cake cause it always comes out so wonderfully!! God how could i not have known this!!!  scooting off to check that out now. thank you so much!! I will definitely report back after i try the cake again!

Posted: 08 August 2012 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

ok i read thru those.. for bleached all purpose rose says u can use a combination of the same plus 15 percent cornstarch substitution. But i didnt see a mention of what to do with unbleached CAKE FLOUR.

1 of 2