My lastest creations this week-end:  French Macaron tower & Respberry white cake w/ butter cream
Posted: 04 August 2012 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  609
Joined  2012-01-12

Made these today for tonight’s party:

Image Attachments
P1010808.jpgP1010810.jpgP1010812.jpg

Posted: 09 August 2012 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

Very nice work as usual smile

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 19 August 2012 01:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2007-11-21

Hi -
I am about to tackle these little pretties and I am looking at the ingredients, etc. I am wondering about the quality of almond meal or flour? I have heard that powdered coloring is best. I have heard also that Lekue has put out a baking mat that seems to have some miraculous properties ... what hints do you have? Have you had a lot of experience with them? Thanks for any advice you might have.  joan

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

Posted: 19 August 2012 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

The quality of the Almond flour is not a big deal.. Almond is Almond.  I also just experimented Cashew instead of Almond,  and honestly they taste better.  For the Almond I always use “Bills Red Mill”,  Almond Meal.  I ALWAYS grind the almond meal and the powderd sugar in a coffee grinder until almost like powder,  to get that smooth texture on the Macaroon.  It makes a big difference in the texture.  As for the color,  I usually use the gel kind.  But I have also used the cheap liquid colors,  just a few drops like 2 or three and that has not been a problem.  Another tip is,  b4 you even start mixing,  do your preping first because once you have the batter all mixed,  you CANNOT let it stand and wait,  like prepare your pan,  piping bag w/ the round tip and all that.  I have used both the Silpat and the parchment paper.. I get the same results, EXCEPT that the Silpat will give you a very shiny bottom.  Good luck..  smile

Posted: 19 August 2012 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2007-11-21

Hi! I am so happy you responded to my plight. I have now just ordered some Bob’s almond meal/flour since our market was out of it. I will grind it in the Cuisinart, but later invest in a coffee grinder as you suggeest. Maybe an inexp one on ebay…And yes, I will behave and do mis en place before starting! Have suffered the consequences of not. I am reading a lot of stuff. I will do some on silpat and some on parchment like you did. So, now I am going to get everything ready and tackle it later in the week. I must confess: I ordered the gorgeous Pierre Herme’ book of Macarons - I am sooo excited. Do you like to mix up batches of fillings and keep them at the ready - frozen, etc? That would seem a good idea?
Your tower was incredible! how did they removed them to eat, or was it just decor?
Once again, thanks for my tutorial! Much appreciated. Talk, soon, j smile

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

Posted: 20 August 2012 01:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Hello smile

God knows how many times I have tried and failed.  When it hit me,  I have not failed since.  I think a food processor would work for the grinding,  I just like the coffee grinder because it is smaller and easy to handle.  I bake mine at 320 degrees for 16 mins…  Here is my recipe.  This is the one I always use:

1 cup powdered sugar
2/3 cup Almond flour/meal
2 egg whites at room temp. that have been aged on the counter for at least 8 hours.
1/2 cup super fine sugar OR regular granulated
Vanilla or any exttact you want.  I use Vanilla and Rose Water (great combination).  But try Vanilla also by itself.
color (any)

Combine Almond flour & powdered sugar and grind in coffee grinder.  I NEVER grind w/out the powdered sugar mixed in.  It will turn to paste.
Sift and put aside.  Whip the egg whites at medium speed until it gets frothy (like beer bubbles),  then gradually add the sugar,  and whip at fastest speed until very stiff.  You may add your color when you fold in the Almond & powdered sugar.  Fold the Almond flour by halves.  Gently fold until consistency is like “Ketchup” or “Ranch” salad dressing.  Pipe on prepared pan and tap the pan on the counter.  Let it dry until it forms a skin.  TIP:  to make this process faster,  I put a small electric fan in front of it and it will only take about 15 minutes or less.  If not the drying time can take up to 40 minutes.  Do not make Macarons when humidity is high or when it is raining..  it will crack during baking.  This is like learning how to ride the bicycle.  First you fall a few times,  then when you learn it,  you will never forget how to make them and becomes easy.

The Macaron tower is easy.  It is just very time consuming.  Depending on the size of your styro foam cone.  20 inches by 6 inches size cone will use at least 100 macarons.  Ask me anything.  I am very willing to help.  smile  no problem for me.

Posted: 14 June 2013 01:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-06-14

I like this reciepy that you have give in your post…!
very tasty…!

Signature 

James_Bond

Posted: 14 June 2013 02:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Thank U James Bond, 007 smile

Posted: 01 July 2013 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Thank u libra66. It’s my therapy.

Posted: 08 July 2013 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2013-06-25

BEAUTIFUL Prettycake!

I was drawn to your post by the title of Raspberry Cake, but the macaroons are exquisite. The Raspberry Cake is lovely. Can you tell me if there are fresh raspberries in the filling and if so, did they last for several days?  Thanks for sharing.

Posted: 08 July 2013 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Hi SR in Portland..
Thank u so much. Yes the filling had fresh raspberries. They were filled and refrigerated for about 2 days including the day it was served. The raspberries were fine. That is one thing I like about raspberries, they do not bleed when added to a filling. I placed them as whole fruits. I did not cut them. I placed them on top of a layer of butter cream, I did not mix them into the butter cream.

‹‹ Gender Neutral Baby Cake      Pistachio Cake ››