Genoise and doming
Posted: 12 August 2012 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-08-12

Bought Heavenly Cakes and plan to make the White Gold Genoise Passion first.

Rose says for a genoise you don’t need cake strips because they don’t dome. I’ve only made one genoise before (Michel Roux recipe) and it was well domed on removal from the oven and didn’t sink.

Would like to know if it should be domed on removal and then fall down to level or flat and stay flat?

Posted: 14 August 2012 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-08-12

I guess I’ll reply to myself then!

No doming with Rose’s recipe and I didn’t use cake strips. The only deviation from her recipe was 220g of eggs instead of 200g. I baked it for 35 minutes (recommended 20-30!) and I could have cooked it even longer because it hadn’t come away from the sides yet.

White gold passion cake is a winner, nice acidity from the passion fruit, like a good lemon tart, balanced with the vanilla. I might cut down on the butter in the frosting next time. See attached photo

Image Attachments
IMG_9849.jpg

Posted: 14 August 2012 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Looks delicious!  I’ve been wanting to try that one but haven’t managed to procure the passion fruit puree.  What did you use for the puree?

Re: genoise doming, it doesn’t dome much, maybe just a little, then shrinks a little as it cools and ends up flat.  Not sure about someone else’s recipe, but if Rose’s genoise domes then chances are your oven is too hot. 

Increasing eggs by 10% will make the genoise drier, so you may need to increase syrup (though it sounds like it was perfect as is).

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls