Strawberry shortcake like wedding cake
Posted: 13 August 2012 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2012-04-11

Can I tier golden genoise cake, super stabilized whipped cream with fresh strawberries in a 3 tiered cake?  Perhaps covered in white choc mousseline?  Is the whipped cream and fresh fruit too unstable for a tiered cake?  And would you prefer the golden genoise or the classic with a rum syrup in this kind of cake? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Signature 

Alice

Posted: 13 August 2012 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Alice!

Someone recently made a cake similar to yours (strawberry shortcake-like).  Here’s a link to that post:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/4668/

Hope it’s helpful!

—ak

Posted: 14 August 2012 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Re: golden vs. rum classic genoise for a strawberry shortcake, I think I might prefer the golden.  Although I do like Strawberry savarin, which pairs rum with strawberries, so maybe.

Re: will it stand up in a tiered cake, I’m sorry I don’t know.  If the fruit started to compress/give off liquid, the layers might shift.  But I’ve never done it, perhaps it works fine if not composed too far ahead.  Hopefully one of the pros that frequents the forum will chime in when they get a chance during what must be a very busy time of year for them (wedding cake season).

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 16 August 2012 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-27

I am not a big fan of whipped cream fillings for tiered weddings cakes; I would take into consideration where the cake is going to be; how big the cake is (how many tiers) and if my client was really determined to have a whipped cream filling, I would go with a tiered display that didn’t have the weight of the cakes resting on dowels; I’d use one of the English swan neck stands and have three separate cakes.  And not outside in a tent wink but refrigerated until the very last possible minute.  And I’d feel much better about the cake cutting coming very early on in the festivities so the cake could be brought back to the kitchen for refrigeration!

When I have this flavor request, I usually go with golden genoise (because Nancy Silverton’s biscuit recipe with hard boiled yolks is my favorite biscuit) and strawberry buttercream and chopped fresh berries and have the caterer serve whipped cream or creme anglais with the cake.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

‹‹ Genoise and doming      Cake flour ››