Whens and hows for thawing IMBC?
Posted: 16 August 2012 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-07-21

So I have 100 cupcakes in my freezer and 3 different kinds of IMBC in my freezer as well.  I plan to frost everything tomorrow night and serve Saturday afternoon.

I thought that if I unwrap and thaw the cupcakes on the countertop tomorrow morning they should be ready to frost by evening.

When and how should I thaw all that buttercream?  Should I put it in the fridge tonight then move to the counter?  Should I go straight to the counter?

Right now the buttercream is in three large tupperware-type containers.  Should I thaw with the covers on or off?

I know that the buttercream needs to be completely at room temperature before I rebeat it.

Also, I’m planning to pipe onto the tops of the cupcakes, so I don’t want to add any liquid that might make it loosen up to much to pipe well.  Flavors are vanilla, chocolate and pomegranate.  And thanks to everyone who helped me to get the vanilla and pomegranate flavors just right grin

Posted: 16 August 2012 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16
mom929 - 16 August 2012 05:02 PM

I thought that if I unwrap and thaw the cupcakes on the countertop tomorrow morning they should be ready to frost by evening.

You may want to keep them wrapped, that is a long time for any cake to be unwrapped, and cupcakes dry out rather quickly.

Should I put it in the fridge tonight then move to the counter?  Should I go straight to the counter? Right now the buttercream is in three large tupperware-type containers.  Should I thaw with the covers on or off?

You can thaw in fridge and then on counter, or just go straight to the counter, both ways work just fine.  Be sure to allow lots of time at room temp for large containers (not sure how big your containers are or what room temp is but 6-8 hours strikes me as a starting point).  And definitely keep them covered, either in the fridge or on the counter.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 18 August 2012 02:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2009-05-25

It also helps to “chop up” the buttercream a bit.  If I’m in a hurry, I also micro very low power (like 1/2 power (10-20%)) to help it come to room temp faster—but my microwave is very moderate and not a scorcher like some!