1 of 3
pursuing the perfect chocolate chip cookie
Posted: 18 August 2012 05:36 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2012-07-18

Hi guys.

So, it’s kind of awkward to admit, but i just can’t find the right chocolate chip cookie recipe. I bake a lot. Everything from home made breads and challahs to beautiful birthday cakes - but i just dont seem to have the touch when it comes to chocolate chip cookies! They always spread too much and turn out gigantic, and are either too chewy or over crispy and nothing like the photos on the recipe. Can any one recommend a good reliable recipe? You will have my eternal gratitude smile

Signature 

Some people eat to live, I live to eat.
Design edible photo cakes online

Posted: 18 August 2012 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1370
Joined  2008-09-27
Tracybb - 18 August 2012 08:36 AM

Can any one recommend a good reliable recipe?

If you’ve tried a bunch of recipes and none turn out like the pictures, I suspect that any new recipe you receive will meet the same fate.  Cookies seem particularly vulnerable to unique variations of ingredients and technique, all the more so since you can’t hide the results under a slather of frosting.

I’d recommend that you take the most promising recipe that you’ve used and modify it to your tastes.  I once spend two months making chocolate chip cookies every evening, altering ingredient quantities and technique, and keeping notes on the results.  Many ended up in the garbage.  grin  Still, it was a good learning experience.  Interestingly, many professional bakers, when trying to derive their own recipes, go back to Ruth Wakefield’s original Toll House recipe and end up making only small modifications to it.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 18 August 2012 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

You might also check out Shirley Corriher’s “Cookwise”, which has a great section on how to achieve different effects in chocolate chip cookies with small alterations to the recipe.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 18 August 2012 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1616
Joined  2011-02-17

Tracybb, here is a link to Chef Bo Frieberg’s Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. The person posting seems to have had the same trouble finding the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe until she tried it.  I hope this helps.  Good luck.

http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/chocolate-chip-cookies-recipe/

Posted: 18 August 2012 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Flour Girl - 18 August 2012 06:01 PM

http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/chocolate-chip-cookies-recipe/

And another chef creates an exact duplicate of Nestle’s Toll House recipe.  grin

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 19 August 2012 02:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

It is?!!

Posted: 19 August 2012 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-18

Wow, thank you guys for the quick response and the helpful tips.

@CharlesT - Knowing that im not alone in my chocolate chip cookie situation made me feel so much better smile. Is this the recipe you are referring too? http://www.premiersystems.com/recipes/desserts/cookie-chip.html

@Flour Girl - The recipe looks great! I’m definitely going to give it a try.

Signature 

Posted: 19 August 2012 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Tracybb - 19 August 2012 05:18 PM

Is this the recipe you are referring too? http://www.premiersystems.com/recipes/desserts/cookie-chip.html

Well, it’s labeled correctly, but the recipe is way off.  Try this:

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/18476/Original-NESTLÉ-TOLL-HOUSE-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies/detail.aspx

As I say, it’s just like the one that FG posted, except for the sea salt, which you wouldn’t likely to be able to detect.  You can use a any combination of butter and shortening you wish; I often go half and half.  Shortening can produce a better texture, but butter has the flavor.  The best textured CC cookie that I ever made used those fake butter sticks you find on the shortening aisle in the supermarket.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 19 August 2012 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-18

Thanks CharlesT. I dont usually use shortening, cause it’s not that healthy, but i think im gonna give it a try, for the cookies sake… smile

I’ll get back to you with the results soon!

Signature 

Posted: 19 August 2012 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27

“I’m gonna give it a try, for the cookies sake”

That’s the right spirit!  Cookies aren’t a healthful food item no matter if it contains butter or shortening, so I don’t worry about such things.  If I’m going to enjoy a cookie, it’s going to contain whatever ingredients it needs to produce the optimal experience.  What this means in reality is that I don’t eat cookies!  When I make them, I might sample one or two to see if the recipe came out right, but then I give them away.  :-(  I have run a mile to burn off one cookie, and it’s just not worth it.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 19 August 2012 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Good luck Tracybb. Let us know how they come out.

Posted: 19 August 2012 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-08-19

No contest: the recipe(s) in Got Milk?  The most reliable and delicious CCCs our family ever had!

Posted: 20 August 2012 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-18
CharlesT - 19 August 2012 06:14 PM

“I’m gonna give it a try, for the cookies sake”

That’s the right spirit!  Cookies aren’t a healthful food item no matter if it contains butter or shortening, so I don’t worry about such things.  If I’m going to enjoy a cookie, it’s going to contain whatever ingredients it needs to produce the optimal experience.  What this means in reality is that I don’t eat cookies!  When I make them, I might sample one or two to see if the recipe came out right, but then I give them away.  :-(  I have run a mile to burn off one cookie, and it’s just not worth it.

I feel exactly the same! And whenever i bake something (cookies, cakes, whatever), my husband makes me take it to work, so we won’t get tempted at home…

Signature 

Posted: 20 August 2012 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

So Charles, what were the results of all of your testing? Do you have a go-to version now?

Posted: 20 August 2012 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Matthew - 20 August 2012 06:36 PM

So Charles, what were the results of all of your testing? Do you have a go-to version now?

The actual goal that I had was to recreate the perfect CC cookie that I had made years ago, the one where I used the fake butter sticks.  Those cookies shattered lightly in the mouth when bitten, something due to a lot of empty space on the inside of the cookie, which had an irregular, bumpy surface.  Shortly after making them, I discovered the virtues of using butter, and I’ve never been able to make their equal again.  I’m not absolutely certain there is a causal relationship, but it’s plausible. 

I normally use the recipe from King Arthur’s Cookie book.  It’s more weighted towards brown sugar than the Toll House recipe, uses 1 fewer egg, specifies half butter/half shortening, and they throw in a little vinegar, but I’m not sure that this really impacts the final product that much.  The cookies turn out very flat and crisp, and people seem to like that a lot.

A few years ago, I took two batches of cookies to a friend to evaluate.  One was a medium size, thin cookie and the other was a small, thicker cookie.  My friend loved the smaller cookie and exclaimed about how it shattered in the mouth like the one I was trying to replicate and he demanded to know how the small cookie differed from the larger cookie.  “It’s smaller,” I deadpanned.  And that was the sole difference; they’d come from the same bowl of dough, I just used the small cookie scoop vs the big one, and that was enough to produce a significant texture difference. 

I had to give up my experiments because I changed jobs and couldn’t take them into work any more (office too small).

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 22 August 2012 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

Thanks for the recipe recommendation Charles. Looking forward to trying it soon.

1 of 3