recipe: • 3 ounces fine-quality semisweet chocolate such as Callebaut
• 1 1/2 cups hot brewed coffee
• 3 cups sugar
• 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (NOT Dutch process)
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
• 3 large eggs
• 3/4 cup vegetable oil
• 1 1/2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
• 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 300° F and grease pans. Line bottoms with rounds of wax paper and grease paper.
Finely chop chocolate and in a bowl combine with hot coffee. Let mixture stand, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
Into a large bowl sift together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In another large bowl with an electric mixer beat eggs until thickened slightly and lemon colored (about 3 minutes with a standing mixer or 5 minutes with a hand-held mixer). Slowly add oil, buttermilk, vanilla and melted chocolate mixture to eggs, beating until combined well. Add sugar mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined well. Divide batter between pans and bake in middle of oven until a tester inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Picture of cake in 8 x 3 pan basically has this center puckered area that dips down. Cake was dry on outside and wet on inside. I didn’t change the recipe but believe I baked at 325. On the Epicurious website folks that reviewed it said they baked in 3/ 9 x 2 without a problem but some said it was dry. Maybe from baking at 300 for the whole time…?? I made cupcakes from the recipe that were divine but the 8 x 3 failed….....
Also had similar failure with Toba Garret’s Fudge cake…calls for two 8 x 2” pans and I put in 1/4 sheet pan with bake even strips and two nails. Didn’t alter the recipe or temp…just baking time. Outside horribly dry even with the strips and center wet wet wet…...
Toba Garett, Chocolate fudge cake
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups (285 g) granulated sugar
3/4 cup (170 g) dark brown sugar, packed
1 cup (110 g) Dutch processed cocoa powder
2 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups (18 fl oz or 540 ml) buttermilk
1 cup (230 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
6 oz (168 g) melted semisweet fine quality chocolate
1. Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter and parchment line two 8x2-inch (20x5-cm) baking pans.
2. Measure all ingredients (except the chocolate) into a large mixer bowl.
3. Blend for 30 seconds on LOW speed, scraping bowl constantly.
4. Blend in the melted chocolate and beat 3 minutes on HIGH speed, scraping the bowl.
5. Spoon into the pans and level them well with an offset spatula.
6. Bake layers for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
What I really want to know about is if I should have altered the leavening and/or baking temp. Thanks for your patience. I am just a home baker and not really savvy on the chemistry of all this…... Pat