shipping cakes/cupcakes
Posted: 22 August 2012 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-08-22

Now that I have a son in college….I want to ship him Rose’s pumpkin walnut cake…a family favorite.  I often make the cake in cupcakes because it is so much easier to grab and go…and a lot fewer crumbs!  And I think that will work well in a college dorm as well, but I want to maximize freshness as it should be about 48 hours between when I get to the shipper and he receives.  So…should I:

1.  bake cupcakes, cool and get to the shipper by 5 on the same day….in tightly sealed plastic containers
2.  bake cupcakes, cool and freeze….then ship frozen the next day…hoping their close proximity keeps them cold long enough to retain better freshness when they arrive
3.  bake a cake, freezing it…because it’s size will probably stay cold the longest???

Cupcakes are my preference.  I don’t want them to get sticky on the journey either!  Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Posted: 22 August 2012 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  601
Joined  2007-11-27

See if your local supermarket will let you buy some of the plastic clamshell containers they sell their cupcakes in.  Or go to a paper goods store (the kind that sells commercial stuff, like a Restaurant Depot kind of place; if you buy online, you might have to buy huge quantities and then store them, and paying for that stuff to ship isn’t cheap!).  This would help keep them neat, in one piece and make it easier to ship in a postal express or priority box.  If you wrap the clamshell in plastic before packing, it will help keep the air out and help guard against drying.

Freezing won’t really help much; they’d be thawed in the first hour or so. You could try to pack frozen ones in a cooler-type bag but again, it doesn’t buy you much time.  You’d be better off to send fresh ones and let him freeze them if he has the space to do it.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 22 August 2012 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27

Omaha Steaks ships their stuff frozen, but they put it in a cooler.  Maybe some gel packs too, or dry ice, I don’t remember.  They probably ship overnight; not really sure how even a small cooler will stay below 32 degrees.  You might conduct an experiment to see.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach