Help please…does this cake look right???
Posted: 24 August 2012 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2011-05-31

Hi all! I’m hoping someone can give me some feedback… I’ve just made a 10-inch All-Occasion Downy Yellow Butter cake using the Rose factor conversion. I think my calculations were correct; both layers of the cake smell and feel fine but they look so coarse/grainy and the sides didn’t form a crust. Does this look okay?? This cake will be the bottom tier of a two-tier cake that I have to finish today so I’m hoping someone out there can help.

Thanks so much!!! smile

Image Attachments
DSCF0886e.jpg

Posted: 24 August 2012 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2008-09-27

Without reading your post, my first thought was “under browned”.  Your oven temperature might be a bit low.  Otherwise, the cake looks fine to me, but I’m not that finicky about coarseness of the crumb.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 25 August 2012 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Looks good to me, too.  I agree with Charles, possibly a cool oven, or else overzealous cake strips smile.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 25 August 2012 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1568
Joined  2011-02-17

i think it looks great and I congratulate you for working the calculations. I look forward to hearing how your cake tastes.

Posted: 26 August 2012 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2011-05-31

Thank you all so much for your replies! I agree there might be a problem with my oven temperature and I no longer trust my thermometer!! But since I didn’t have enough time to re-do the cake, I went ahead and completed it and thankfully it was a hit smile There was enough strawberry mousseline/ strawberry butter filling and chocolate frosting to cover up the fact that the cake was ever-so-slightly too dry and luckily the flavor of the cake was delicious. Here’s a picture of a slice and I’ll post a pic of the entire completed cake later.

Thanks again smile

Image Attachments
DSCF0890a.jpg

Posted: 26 August 2012 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1568
Joined  2011-02-17

It looks delicious. I’m glad to hear your cake was a hit. 

I, too, had a problem with my oven. I now have 3 oven thermometers to verify the set temperature.

Thanks for posting the picture