gingerbread vs humidity
Posted: 22 November 2007 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2007-11-22

has anyone been successful in keeping gingerbread, dry, at sea level?  I’m building an elaborate “house” and regardless of drying, returning to oven, dehydrating, in three days, the cookie is soft again… I have made them on nantucket with less issue, than here in MD.. any help would be greatly appreciated.. the contest is in 10 days..

Signature 

If chocolate were a friend it’d be one needing compliance:
but bread on the other hand is a cahtartic, soulful blend of commraderie, chemistry , and respect.

Posted: 22 November 2007 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2007-11-17

Clement,
I’m don’t know what recipe you are using for your gingerbread, but I use Bronwen Weber’s recipe which you can dry as hard as a rock and won’t soften. Here is the link to the recipe: http://www.allinonebakeshop.com/documents/Gingerbreadrecipesheet.pdf -
I am finishing up a large gingerbread house myself which is a replica of a local country club.  They will have it on display for two weeks during a couple of holiday activities.
Have Fun,
Lori V.

Signature 

We should enjoy Today while it’s here because someday Today will be a Long Time Ago!
Pastries By Vreeke

Posted: 23 November 2007 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2007-11-22

thanks Lori

the gingerbread link,is more like a lebkuchen, which is fine… but mine is more of a gingerbread with molasses… which is usually fine..  what I did figure out yesterday, was that a “light bulb” inside, is just enough to affect the humidity level, and it seems as if, it will remain, dry, with the light inside.. (I was thinking of ways to slow heat the thing, and viola’,  EASY BAKE OVEN, came to mind… )  so I laid the light that I had purchased, for the house, inside, the six walls, and then placed the base over it.  and all is dry this morning…

My house is a replica of a local lighthouse… that sits on screw piles… pray lots…

Signature 

If chocolate were a friend it’d be one needing compliance:
but bread on the other hand is a cahtartic, soulful blend of commraderie, chemistry , and respect.