neoclassic disaster
Posted: 13 July 2008 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-07-13

Hi.  I made the neoclassic buttercream but did not let sugar get hot enough or something and now have
buttercream pudding instead of frosting.  I made enough for the 150 person cake so I’d like to try to fix
it.  Anyone know how?  Need to know asap.

Posted: 13 July 2008 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2008-04-29

Wow, you read my mind~ I was going to post something about this today since I had problems with a large batch of the mousseline (for 150 in the wedding cakes chapter) this weekend.

My advice is to scrap it and start from scratch.

I had a soupy batch of buttercream (my only guess is that the eggs weren’t cool enough) flavored with lemon curd that I tried to save (and ended up using to crumb coat the cake) but I should have just bit the bullet and thrown it away immediately.

If it doesn’t set up properlly to begin with, I would set it aside and start a new batch. I made two smaller batches of mousseline that I made after my precious* first batch remained soupy and they both turned out perfectly.

Don’t do what I did ~ try to salvage the buttercream ~ just start again. The crumb coat (which was the soupy mousseline) started to weep through the outer perfect frosting and created not only a marbled appearance but was far too tempermental to sit outside for hours. I ended up needing to chill it at the reception site and hang around to serve the finieshed cake at the weeding.

That was nervewracking and I wish I had just thrown the first batch away! Believe me, I know how painful it can be to throw away all those ingredients.  shut eye

*Precious and painful because I had made the lemon curd from scratch to flavor it!!!!

Signature 

http://scratch.typepad.com/
http://www.milkglassbaking.com

Posted: 13 July 2008 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-13

Thanks for the advice.  I’m sure you’re right.  This is for my 60th birthday party.
I might as well go the route of least resistance.    Frankly, though, I’m finding Beranbaum’s
recipes are too convoluted.  Back to tried-and-true Martha Stewart.

Posted: 14 July 2008 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-13

5 times a week!  Aha, an expert! 
It was warm but I think the sugar was not hot enough—even though it was really bubbling.
Not sure if the bubbles were ‘big’ enough. 
Do you think I can add some additional cooked sugar to it?  Refrigerating and rebeating didn’t
work.  Or how about adding a little powered sugar?

Posted: 14 July 2008 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-13

A few hours.  Do you think I can fix it by adding powdered sugar?

Posted: 14 July 2008 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-13

I really appreciate your advice here, so thanks.
I suspect my butter could have been too soft in the first place, but the recipe said room temp,softened.
Some is in the refrigerator.  Some I put in the freezer since I didn’t know what
to do with it.  I had refrigerated and rebeat it before to try it on a cake, but it remained way too soft.
Like pudding.