2 of 3
Not Enough Batter For Cupcakes
Posted: 27 August 2012 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  279
Joined  2011-10-15
Flour Girl - 26 August 2012 11:39 PM

I don’t try many recipes in the books I buy. I stick to a few tried and true. I am sure there are others which I haven’t gotten a chance to make yet

FG, I know you have your favourites from Flo Braker?s Baking for All Occasions, but I wonder if you?ve tried the Any Day All-Occasion Snack Cake, a streusel topped coffee cake? I made it today for the first time and thought of you, not just because I bought the book because of your recommendation ? very happy with it, by the way - but because it?s an oil-based cake made with only 1 egg and buttermilk (I used low fat).

It?s not nearly as decadent as the Baked Sour Cream Coffee Cake (I?ve made that too, so I know) but was very good for the little effort that it took to make…..nice flavour, moist crumb, crunchy topping. Though I made the basic version, it looks versatile too; Flo suggests add-ins of fresh berries, apples, grated carrots….

Posted: 27 August 2012 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi Sophia, Yes, I’ve made that recipe, many times. I actually forgot about it. Thank you for reminding me! My husband and my mother in law both liked that cake a lot. I just went and bookmarked the recipe and I will make it soon. It’s been a long time since I’ve made it. 

That book has mostly butter recipes. I haven’t made anything for me from that book since I learned I have high cholesterol.  Thank you so much. I didn’t realize that cake was an oil cake.

What other recipes did you make from Flo’s book? I hope you are enjoying it. 

My husband and my children think the Banana Streusel Snack Cake on page 157 is like “crack”. I make that cake almost every week and have started doubling the recipe and sticking a loaf in the freezer. But I haven’t eaten a slice of it since last January.

In “Baked” on page 43, the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip loaf is very good. The recipe makes 2 loaves. It calls for 4 eggs but I use 2 whole eggs and 4 egg whites with great results. The loaves freeze well. I use unbleached AP flour @ 139g/c as Renato Poliafito suggested.  It is an oil cake. I use 216g Organic Canola Oil.

Their Sour Cream Cake, which calls for 16oz of sour cream, is for guests only. I guess I’ll have to enjoy the compliments instead of the cake wink

Posted: 27 August 2012 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15
Flour Girl - 27 August 2012 10:38 PM

That book has mostly butter recipes. I haven’t made anything for me from that book since I learned I have high cholesterol.  Thank you so much. I didn’t realize that cake was an oil cake.

What other recipes did you make from Flo’s book? I hope you are enjoying it.

That probably is one of the only recipes in the book that is even remotely low-cholesterol confused ....

I wanted to give the book a really good test run so made a variety of items: spicy yogurt pound cake, banana-pineapple-swirl cupcakes, sweet ricotta galette, apricot scones, butterscotch spiral coffee cake, heavenly brownie on shortbread bars, almond-rhubarb snack cake, cupid’s strawberry cake. And I’ve barely scratched the surface of what I’d like to make, so yes, I’m enjoying it very much smile .

Her techniques are often quite different from Rose’s, but the results are just as good. Pastry is very flaky, cakes are moist and tender….. The only “failure” - if you could call it that - was the cream cheese frosting for the strawberry cake which was just too soft to work with above 60F and I couldn’t keep it that cool in the midst of a heat wave, even in an air conditioned kitchen. I’ve had worse things happen!

I’ll have to set this book aside once my pre-ordered copy of Baked Elements arrives…...I plan to do the same and make a variety of recipes to test the book out.

Posted: 28 August 2012 01:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

The only recipe I’ve tried that you made is the Almond Rhubarb Snack Cake. That is one good cake!  You have tried a lot more recipes than I. I think the reason I don’t use the books I already have as much as I could is because I go to the library a lot and always try new books.  The only recipes I have made from Flo’s book are All Day Snack Cake, the Banana Cake, the Rhubarb Cake and the EggNog Cake. I couldn’t eat the Eggnog Cake because the glaze was unbelievably sweet but after 1 piece my brother in law became hooked on it. My step son fell in love with that cake too.

I have Chef Bo Frieberg’s book and noticed a similarity in his technique to Flo’s. Flo, I believe, is self-taught.  I think she is excellent.

I’m so glad you like her book!

I haven’t made anything from Baked Elements yet. There are so many recipes that look great. When I do bake from it I think I will try the Whiskey Upside Down Cake first.

When are you expecting your copy?

Posted: 28 August 2012 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

I also found some of Flo’s recipes to be a little sweet for me - I thought the rhubarb cake could have used less glaze and more fruit but I was in the minority.

Bookshelf space is precious around here so I often use the library also to test out a book before I purchase it but others I buy based on reputation, or as with Baked Elements, previous experience with the author(s). I think if I’d ordered the book through Amazon, I might have had it by now, but I ordered through Chapters and they still show a Sept 1 release date so am expecting the book next week.

That upside down cake sounds good…it must be from the “booze” chapter smile

Posted: 28 August 2012 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

It is from the booze chapter. I can’t wait to make it!

I never heard of Chapters. I usually get my books from the store because I am so anal about the condition of my books. Barnes & Noble has the book.

Did you notice Flo’s rhubarb recipe omits the inclusion of the almonds into the batter?

There are only a few authors whose books I would order sight unseen: Rose, with out question, Baked, Flo and usually Cook’s Illustrated although I am concerned about repetition of recipes. Any other books I like to try before I buy. I have a lot of books I never open.

This is a list of the chapters in the new Baked. The chapters are arranged by ingredient:

Chapter 1 is Peanut butter
Chapter 2 is Lemon And Lime
Chapter 3 is Carmel
Chapter 4 is Booze
Chapter 5 is Pumpkin
Chapter 6 is Malted Milk Powder
Chapter 7 is Cinnamon
Chapter 8 is Cheese
Chapter 9 is Chocolate
Chapter 10 is Banana

Posted: 28 August 2012 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15
Flour Girl - 28 August 2012 03:00 PM

I never heard of Chapters.

Canadian company…....

Did you notice Flo’s rhubarb recipe omits the inclusion of the almonds into the batter?

I did but it’s the only mistake I’ve noticed so far.

This is a list of the chapters in the new Baked. The chapters are arranged by ingredient:

Chapter 1 is Peanut butter
Chapter 2 is Lemon And Lime
Chapter 3 is Carmel
Chapter 4 is Booze
Chapter 5 is Pumpkin
Chapter 6 is Malted Milk Powder
Chapter 7 is Cinnamon
Chapter 8 is Cheese
Chapter 9 is Chocolate
Chapter 10 is Banana

I’m very excited now!

Posted: 18 October 2012 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Sophia, have you made anything from this book yet? I made the Honey Poppy Seed Banana Bread. I substituted chocolate chips for the poppy seeds. Very good.

Posted: 18 October 2012 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CharlesT - 26 August 2012 11:07 PM
Flour Girl - 26 August 2012 10:56 PM

I am actually thinking of starting a thread on favorite baking books.  I just received several B&N gift cards and cannot decide on which books to buy.

Argh, that’s torture.  I put everything I want into my WishList on Amazon, which provides at least a partial degree of satisfaction without costing me anything.  I’m awaiting publication of Thomas Keller’s “Bouchon Bakery” in October.

Charles, When Bouchon Bakery is released please let me know your opinion of it   cool smile

Posted: 18 October 2012 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

Flourgirl,

I?ve baked a few things?.. my aim is to try a recipe from each chapter to start: oatmeal peanut butter chocolate chip scones, Lime angel food cake, Lemon-pistachio cornmeal muffins, Easy Candy bar Tart, Pumpkin Almond Cake, Banana Whoopie pies, Brown butter snickerdoodles, Malted madeleines (haven?t done the cheese, chocolate and booze chapters yet).

So far, everything has turned out very well. Some things are a little too sweet for me ? the whoopie pie filling and pumpkin cake frosting come to mind ? but nobody else complained! As with their other books, I think some of the recipes could use a little more detail eg what type of cornmeal to use for the lemon muffin (medium was too coarse) and I did find an erratum in the candy bar tart recipe. (The oven is pre-heated so you can blind-bake the crust until it?s set; the alternative is to refrigerate the crust until firm. These instructions are as per Matt Lewis, who promptly replied to my inquiry on a Sunday morning when I was frantically trying to make 3 desserts for my Thanksgiving dinner!)

Of their books, I think this is my favourite.

Posted: 18 October 2012 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1330
Joined  2008-09-27

I made Flo’s Dark Chocolate Cake. I thought it was very good, but not nearly as “Dark” as Rose’s recipes.  Still, it used twice the sour cream, so it had some other quality of flavor that I found very appealing.  Perhaps it was exactly her intent to make it not so chocolately.  It baked up higher than I’ve been able to get with Rose’s chocolate cakes. I tweaked the recipe, replacing the baking chocolate with cocoa and bloomed it with boiling water.  Added extra butter to replace the missing cocoa butter and increased the Vanilla by 50%.  This didn’t seem to rise quite as high as it did before, but it’s vastly more chocolately, still with the pronounced sour cream flavor.  I think this may be my “go to” chocolate cake.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 19 October 2012 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1330
Joined  2008-09-27
Flour Girl - 18 October 2012 04:54 PM

Charles, When Bouchon Bakery is released please let me know your opinion of it   cool smile

It’s available October 23, but it will probably be at least 6 weeks before I can bake anything…..my kitchen is being ripped out starting that very day.  :-(

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 19 October 2012 01:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Sophia - 18 October 2012 08:35 PM

Flourgirl,

I?ve baked a few things?.. my aim is to try a recipe from each chapter to start: oatmeal peanut butter chocolate chip scones, Lime angel food cake, Lemon-pistachio cornmeal muffins, Easy Candy bar Tart, Pumpkin Almond Cake, Banana Whoopie pies, Brown butter snickerdoodles, Malted madeleines (haven?t done the cheese, chocolate and booze chapters yet).

So far, everything has turned out very well. Some things are a little too sweet for me ? the whoopie pie filling and pumpkin cake frosting come to mind ? but nobody else complained! As with their other books, I think some of the recipes could use a little more detail eg what type of cornmeal to use for the lemon muffin (medium was too coarse) and I did find an erratum in the candy bar tart recipe. (The oven is pre-heated so you can blind-bake the crust until it?s set; the alternative is to refrigerate the crust until firm. These instructions are as per Matt Lewis, who promptly replied to my inquiry on a Sunday morning when I was frantically trying to make 3 desserts for my Thanksgiving dinner!)

Of their books, I think this is my favourite.

Thanks for the heads up Sophia. They all sound so interesting and it is good to know about the candy bar tart recipe.  I know that is one my husband is going to love.

It was very cool of Matt Lewis to take the time to respond to you. I feel it makes me more loyal to an author and a book when I see they care about their customers. 

You’ve started baking for Thanksgiving? I haven’t even thought about it yet.

I’m glad to know how much you like the book.  I have been going to the library a lot trying other books. I need to try more of the recipes in the books I already have.

Posted: 19 October 2012 01:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CharlesT - 18 October 2012 11:18 PM

I made Flo’s Dark Chocolate Cake. I thought it was very good, but not nearly as “Dark” as Rose’s recipes.  Still, it used twice the sour cream, so it had some other quality of flavor that I found very appealing.  Perhaps it was exactly her intent to make it not so chocolately.  It baked up higher than I’ve been able to get with Rose’s chocolate cakes. I tweaked the recipe, replacing the baking chocolate with cocoa and bloomed it with boiling water.  Added extra butter to replace the missing cocoa butter and increased the Vanilla by 50%.  This didn’t seem to rise quite as high as it did before, but it’s vastly more chocolately, still with the pronounced sour cream flavor.  I think this may be my “go to” chocolate cake.

Is that recipe from one of Flo Braker’s books? Your modifications sound geat.

Posted: 19 October 2012 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CharlesT - 19 October 2012 03:08 AM
Flour Girl - 18 October 2012 04:54 PM

It’s available October 23, but it will probably be at least 6 weeks before I can bake anything…..my kitchen is being ripped out starting that very day.  :-(

Oh, you are so lucky! That sounds very exciting.

2 of 3