1 of 2
Silver anniversary cake….need a “white” buttercream
Posted: 14 July 2008 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2008-07-14

I am making a silver anniversary cake, and need a recipe for a “white” buttercream. I typically use Rose’s Neoclassic recipe, but because of the egg yolks it usually turns out cream/pale yellow. Is there a way to make the Neoclassic with egg whites instead of yolks? I was considering the Mousseline buttercream, but I do not want to use a liqueur. Is there any way to make the Mousseline without liqueur?
Also, how stable is the Mousseline at room temp? I know that it is going to be hot at the party (the cake will be served outside).
Any tips/advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Posted: 14 July 2008 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Kristen - I make Mousseline without liquer all the time.  I just substitute pure vanilla to taste.  To answer your question about stability, the mousseline is extremely stable at room temp.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 14 July 2008 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-14

Thanks for the reply Patrincia!
Does the vanilla change the color at all though? I really want an almost pure white cake. If I remember correctly the Mousseline calls for 3 ounces of liqueur….....that seems like a lot of vanilla. Do you use that much?

Posted: 14 July 2008 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I don’t use quite that much vanilla, just a tablespoon or so - just to taste.  By the time the vanilla is whipped into the bc, the color is just the slightest bit darkened.  This is my standard go to bc and I’ve never had anyone comment that it was any color other than white (there are hundreds if not thousands of shades of white).  If you’re planning on pairing the cake with white plastic pillars or doves, I’d be concerned about the color difference, but if you are just going to pair the bc with silver, it’ll be just fine.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 14 July 2008 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

You can buy colorless vanillin extract from Sweet Celebrations. It is not “pure” vanilla extract because it is a distillation of the vanillin molecule, which is one of the main components of real vanilla. The flavor is not as complex as pure vanilla extract. However, I have used colorless vanillin with great success in frosting when I want pure white.

Another idea would be to try lemon oil or orange oil. Boyajian (hope I spelled that right) makes them. You only need a few drops—they are very potent. extracts.

Posted: 14 July 2008 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I’m not a fan of the clear vanilla at all - tastes very artificial to me, but I Christine S’s suggestion of the citrus oils.  Of course I think Mousseline tastes good without any additional flavoring too smile.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 14 July 2008 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Here’s another thought… what about using vanilla sugar?

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 14 July 2008 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-14

Thank you for all of the advise/ideas! I think I will use the vanilla extract. I will just be using silver ribbon, leaves etc…. for decoration (no white pillars/doves) so the color should be fine.  I was concerned that without the liqueur the mousseline would not have enough moisture…..........nice to know that this is not the case!

Posted: 15 July 2008 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2008-05-19

Has anyone used the Wilton Icing White with buttercream to whiten it up?  I use it all the time for royal icing when I need more opacity and a true white.  It is basically white pigment in a liquid base.

JennyBee

Posted: 15 July 2008 02:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-29

i think it’s too bitter. no one will question the whiteness of MBC especially when it’s not against any other white.

i only use a tsp of vanilla and never noticed any significant difference in color.

tip for kristen: save your yolks for a chocolate frosting OR use the classic buttercream for the filling and then your yolks don’t go to waste.

jen

Signature 

http://www.ellavanilla.com

Posted: 15 July 2008 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
Kristen - 14 July 2008 09:16 PM

I was considering the Mousseline buttercream, but I do not want to use a liqueur.

Is it b/c of the taste of the alcohol? If so, you don’t have to worry about it as the alcohol evaporates and you can’t taste it at all. I use liqueur in my buttercreams all the time. Re the vanilla changing the colour of the bc, as the others mentioned it doesn’t really make a difference. Pls do share pics.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 15 July 2008 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
Kristen - 14 July 2008 11:58 PM

Thank you for all of the advise/ideas! I think I will use the vanilla extract. I will just be using silver ribbon, leaves etc…. for decoration (no white pillars/doves) so the color should be fine.  I was concerned that without the liqueur the mousseline would not have enough moisture…..........nice to know that this is not the case!

Kristen - just so you know, my avatar photo is a cake covered in vanilla extract flavored mousseline.  I can show you photos of a few other cakes if you like.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 15 July 2008 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

Kristen, the mousseline has the best stability at room temperature, but needs to be properly executed (sugar heated to correct temperature).  From what a read, seems that you will be ok with the slight off white the natural vanilla extract will impart.  All pure white vanillas are chemically enhanced, so I don’t know if you really need to eat this.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 15 July 2008 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-14

Thanks everyone!
Patrincia- The cake in your avatar photo is beautiful! It looks very white to me grin

Has anyone tried the white chocolate mousseline buttercream? It sounds really good, and I’m wondering if it would help with the taste of the Mousseline. It seems like some people who are used to the Wilton powdered sugar BC think that Roses BC taste too much like butter….......I don’t think so, but I want everyone to like the cake.

This forum is awesome! I am so glad to find some fellow CB lovers!  smile  I am surprised at how few people have even heard of Rose and her books…......I took a Wilton cake class, and when I asked the instructor if she ever used/heard of a buttercream similar to Roses she kinda looked at me cross eyed and said that it must be a European recipe or something!

Anyways, thanks for all of the help everyone!

Posted: 15 July 2008 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

The white chocolate mousseline is excellent, as ALL other mousseline variations.  I promise everyone will love your mousseline, even the ones used to powdered sugar bc, and the ones not used to the taste of butter.

Few people nowadays ever heard of Rose because she is not a Food Network (or MTV) item.  But the real bakers know of Rose!  Give credit to this woman who reached fame 20 years ago, much longer than any current Food Network start!!!

I bet if you ask a pastry school student if they know Rose, they will say no, but if you ask the author of the pastry school textbook they will say yes.  Rose wrote the book that current book writers base on!

ok, I won’t say Amen, I respect everyone is not necessarily religious.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 16 July 2008 02:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-14

Okay, one MORE question smile
Where do you guys buy cake toppers? I am looking for an inexpensive 25th anniversary topper. Something classic and elegant, and I would like it to have a “25”.
Any suggestions?

1 of 2

‹‹ neoclassic disaster      Sheet cake questions ››