8 of 10
Did Martha make a Mistake? Question on Leavening in Recipe
Posted: 30 October 2013 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

Just wanted to say that I’ve seen the Martha Stewart’s Cakes book, and it’s pretty much just a collection of recipes that are on the site. I don’t think i’ve seen any new recipes, except for a new picture of a not-new cake.
Although I do bake a lot of her/her team’s recipes, I don’t think many, or any of them, are cakes! I mean, some of the are ridiculous. There’s a chocolate cake i saw recently that uses something like 3 sticks of butter for the cake [2 layer 9-inch], AND 3 sticks for the frosting + a pound of chocolate and lots of heavy cream…

Her cookie recipes are pretty reliable. I have seen the same recipe with different quantities of ingreidents which may look like an error, especially when you use the quantities with one recipe, and the instructions from the other [judging by the comments on the site it happens alot!], which obviously would not yield good results. But, thanks to Rose’s recipes I have learned to follow recipes EXACTLY so that’s not a problem.

Edit: Oooh, I’m a senior member now! Not sure how that happened [# of messages?] but congrats to me smile

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 30 October 2013 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
McBrownie - 30 October 2013 12:54 PM

Just wanted to say that I’ve seen the Martha Stewart’s Cakes book, and it’s pretty much just a collection of recipes that are on the site. I don’t think i’ve seen any new recipes, except for a new picture of a not-new cake.
Although I do bake a lot of her/her team’s recipes, I don’t think many, or any of them, are cakes! I mean, some of the are ridiculous. There’s a chocolate cake i saw recently that uses something like 3 sticks of butter for the cake [2 layer 9-inch], AND 3 sticks for the frosting + a pound of chocolate and lots of heavy cream…

Her cookie recipes are pretty reliable. I have seen the same recipe with different quantities of ingreidents which may look like an error, especially when you use the quantities with one recipe, and the instructions from the other [judging by the comments on the site it happens alot!], which obviously would not yield good results. But, thanks to Rose’s recipes I have learned to follow recipes EXACTLY so that’s not a problem.

Edit: Oooh, I’m a senior member now! Not sure how that happened [# of messages?] but congrats to me smile

Congrats to you!!

I’ve purchased her new Cake book, looked through it but have not baked from it yet.

I would never bake a cake which called-for so much butter. I typically only bake a few recipes from each of my books. I bought Martha’s book because, upon browsing, I noticed several oil cake recipes. Those are the cakes I will eventually get around to baking. Currently I am baking for family so I am sticking to my tried and true recipes aka Rose and Flo cakes.

Posted: 30 October 2013 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 30 October 2013 12:03 PM

Hello Flour Girl—

Golden Delicious Apple will be a nice addition, for sure. I like the way you bake-it has always been my goal to make, whatever I’m cooking, as healthy for the body as possible. It isn’t always possible but if you make an effort to add some kind of healthiness to it, it adds up. I just bought some flax meal that i’ll add to cookies or cornbread.

I have some beautiful cast iron pans I use for cornbread but could easily make a big cc cookie in. I bet the crust on that cookie would be scrumptious.

I can’t wait to see the pics…Oh, I bought some dried Buttermilk because it seemed like so many recipes called for buttermilk, and of course, didn’t have it. Do you think it is as good as the real thing?

I’ll check out Flo Braker’s book, thanks for that.

Have fun in the kitchen. I wish I were in a kitchen right now. smile

Later!!

Hi Abbey.

King Arthur Flour sells the dried buttermilk. They recommend you mix the dry buttermilk with the dry ingredients and the water you would use to reconstitute the buttermilk with the wet ingredients.  I have never used it.  I always have fresh buttermilk in my house because I make a salad dressing with it. However, I would not hesitate to use the dry version if I need to.

I didn’t taste the cookie but the crust gets nicely browned. It will continue to bake after you remove the pan from the oven so not over-baking is a good idea.

Here is the cake I just baked. It is waiting to be cut into squares:

Image Attachments
phpOaJmdaAM.jpgphpaWKbs6AM.jpgphp23tbMzAM.jpg

Posted: 30 October 2013 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

Thanks! smile
If you need oil-based cakes, then Nigella Lawson has an olive-oil chocolate cake which many people LOVE.
The original recipe is made with ground almonds so it’s not really a layer cake, but she states it can be made with plain, ap flour. Personally I have made it a bunch of times with flour, and liked it best when I split the entire recipe between 3 6-inch pans.

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 30 October 2013 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
McBrownie - 30 October 2013 04:24 PM

Thanks! smile
If you need oil-based cakes, then Nigella Lawson has an olive-oil chocolate cake which many people LOVE.
The original recipe is made with ground almonds so it’s not really a layer cake, but she states it can be made with plain, ap flour. Personally I have made it a bunch of times with flour, and liked it best when I split the entire recipe between 3 6-inch pans.

It sounds great! Do you know which book that recipe is in? I will definitely try it. 

Thank you grin

Posted: 30 October 2013 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 111 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02
Flour Girl - 30 October 2013 04:46 PM

Thanks! smile

It sounds great! Do you know which book that recipe is in? I will definitely try it. 

Thank you grin

Yup- it’s called “Nigellissima”, but you can also find it on her site! here’s the link:
http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/CHOCOLATE-OLIVE-OIL-CAKE-5551

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 30 October 2013 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 112 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
McBrownie - 30 October 2013 05:07 PM
Flour Girl - 30 October 2013 04:46 PM

Thanks! smile

Thank you grin

Yup- it’s called “Nigellissima”, but you can also find it on her site! here’s the link:
http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/CHOCOLATE-OLIVE-OIL-CAKE-5551

Thank you McBrownie!

I’ll try the recipe and rent the book from the library.

Thank you very much!

Posted: 30 October 2013 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 113 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-12-25

FG,

Your cake looks delicious! Which recipe was that?

I read the blog where you and Rose discussed the cast iron recipes, enjoyed it and learned some new things. Did you buy the cornbread pans? I’ve had my eye on one at a local store and have now decided to buy it - they are so cute!! I also want that cookbook along with Nigella’s. I’ll have to do some thrifty shopping. wink

Thanks for the buttermilk method, and will use it now, without wondering whether it will be good. I bet that salad dressing is good.smile

Posted: 30 October 2013 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 114 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 30 October 2013 05:46 PM

FG,

Your cake looks delicious! Which recipe was that?

I read the blog where you and Rose discussed the cast iron recipes, enjoyed it and learned some new things. Did you buy the cornbread pans? I’ve had my eye on one at a local store and have now decided to buy it - they are so cute!! I also want that cookbook along with Nigella’s. I’ll have to do some thrifty shopping. wink

Thanks for the buttermilk method, and will use it now, without wondering whether it will be good. I bet that salad dressing is good.smile

Thank you! It is a really yummy recipe. It uses 1 egg and 3/4 cup oil for 18 generous servings.

I didn’t buy the corn fingers yet. It is on my wish list. I haven’t made any of the cornbread recipes yet either.  When I am ready to actually bake the recipe I will get the pan. I did get the drop biscuit pan. My daughter gave it to me as a gift. I love baking in it. It’s a little more practical for me.

Christmas isn’t too far away.

Posted: 30 October 2013 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 115 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-12-25

FG—-

I found the recipe, Any Day All-Occasion Snack Cake, on line, saved it in my favorites and look forward to fixin’ that one. I’ll keep that CB in mind too, but like you say, you kind of hope someone will gift it to you. smile

thanks again!

Posted: 30 October 2013 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 116 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

A (potential) bonus to buying your own (from Amazon, anyway) is that they are now giving Kindle editions of purchased “physical” books at a vast discount (or even free)—even books you’ve bought in the past.  Rose’s books aren’t in the program yet, but, hopefully, they will be in the future!

Posted: 30 October 2013 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 117 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27

We meet monthly and decide on who gets to be “Senior”. And we liked this post so much we decided that it was time. Well done!

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 31 October 2013 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 118 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 30 October 2013 09:15 PM

FG—-

I found the recipe, Any Day All-Occasion Snack Cake, on line, saved it in my favorites and look forward to fixin’ that one. I’ll keep that CB in mind too, but like you say, you kind of hope someone will gift it to you. smile

thanks again!

Oh good! I’m glad you found it. I hope you make it.

When I visit my daughter in law, I always bring this cake with me.

We sit at the table after dinner and share the cake while my son watches golf on TV. Good times.

Posted: 31 October 2013 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 119 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 30 October 2013 09:39 PM

A (potential) bonus to buying your own (from Amazon, anyway) is that they are now giving Kindle editions of purchased “physical” books at a vast discount (or even free)—even books you’ve bought in the past.  Rose’s books aren’t in the program yet, but, hopefully, they will be in the future!

Cool! I didn’t know about that.

Thanks Anne!

Posted: 31 October 2013 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 120 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CharlesT - 30 October 2013 11:21 PM

We meet monthly and decide on who gets to be “Senior”. And we liked this post so much we decided that it was time. Well done!

LOL

8 of 10