Did Martha make a Mistake? Question on Leavening in Recipe
Posted: 04 November 2013 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  167
Joined  2011-12-25
Flour Girl - 30 October 2013 02:49 PM
abbey - 30 October 2013 12:03 PM

Hello Flour Girl—

Golden Delicious Apple will be a nice addition, for sure. I like the way you bake-it has always been my goal to make, whatever I’m cooking, as healthy for the body as possible. It isn’t always possible but if you make an effort to add some kind of healthiness to it, it adds up. I just bought some flax meal that i’ll add to cookies or cornbread.

I have some beautiful cast iron pans I use for cornbread but could easily make a big cc cookie in. I bet the crust on that cookie would be scrumptious.

I can’t wait to see the pics…Oh, I bought some dried Buttermilk because it seemed like so many recipes called for buttermilk, and of course, didn’t have it. Do you think it is as good as the real thing?

I’ll check out Flo Braker’s book, thanks for that.

Have fun in the kitchen. I wish I were in a kitchen right now. smile

Later!!

Hi Abbey.

King Arthur Flour sells the dried buttermilk. They recommend you mix the dry buttermilk with the dry ingredients and the water you would use to reconstitute the buttermilk with the wet ingredients.  I have never used it.  I always have fresh buttermilk in my house because I make a salad dressing with it. However, I would not hesitate to use the dry version if I need to.

I didn’t taste the cookie but the crust gets nicely browned. It will continue to bake after you remove the pan from the oven so not over-baking is a good idea.

Here is the cake I just baked. It is waiting to be cut into squares:

Hi Flour Girl,

I’m getting ready to make this snack cake tonight—bunch of birthdays this month at work—and wonder about the method they recommended for using the buttermilk. It surprises me because you’d think mixing it with the water would be the right way or the way I’d have figured. I’ll take that advice though since I’m sure they know.

Do you suppose I can use any fruit? I have some pears, fresh from the tree and not ripe at all. So, thinking it might be a good idea to process into small pieces. I have plenty of the pears and hopefully will get a chance to look and find a recipe in Rose’s book for some kind of dessert using them. I’ll be making all kinds of good stuff with these little beauties.

I’ll post a pic wink

And thanks!!       

Posted: 05 November 2013 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 04 November 2013 07:45 PM
Flour Girl - 30 October 2013 02:49 PM
abbey - 30 October 2013 12:03 PM

Hello Flour Girl—

Golden Delicious Apple will be a nice addition, for sure. I like the way you bake-it has always been my goal to make, whatever I’m cooking, as healthy for the body as possible. It isn’t always possible but if you make an effort to add some kind of healthiness to it, it adds up. I just bought some flax meal that i’ll add to cookies or cornbread.

I have some beautiful cast iron pans I use for cornbread but could easily make a big cc cookie in. I bet the crust on that cookie would be scrumptious.

I can’t wait to see the pics…Oh, I bought some dried Buttermilk because it seemed like so many recipes called for buttermilk, and of course, didn’t have it. Do you think it is as good as the real thing?

I’ll check out Flo Braker’s book, thanks for that.

Have fun in the kitchen. I wish I were in a kitchen right now. smile

Later!!

Hi Abbey.

King Arthur Flour sells the dried buttermilk. They recommend you mix the dry buttermilk with the dry ingredients and the water you would use to reconstitute the buttermilk with the wet ingredients.  I have never used it.  I always have fresh buttermilk in my house because I make a salad dressing with it. However, I would not hesitate to use the dry version if I need to.

I didn’t taste the cookie but the crust gets nicely browned. It will continue to bake after you remove the pan from the oven so not over-baking is a good idea.

Here is the cake I just baked. It is waiting to be cut into squares:

Hi Flour Girl,

I’m getting ready to make this snack cake tonight—bunch of birthdays this month at work—and wonder about the method they recommended for using the buttermilk. It surprises me because you’d think mixing it with the water would be the right way or the way I’d have figured. I’ll take that advice though since I’m sure they know.

Do you suppose I can use any fruit? I have some pears, fresh from the tree and not ripe at all. So, thinking it might be a good idea to process into small pieces. I have plenty of the pears and hopefully will get a chance to look and find a recipe in Rose’s book for some kind of dessert using them. I’ll be making all kinds of good stuff with these little beauties.

I’ll post a pic wink

And thanks!!       

Hi Abbey, Don’t take my advice. I have no experience using the dry buttermilk. I read about it in a King Arthur Flour book. I actually use dry milk for the dog bones I bake. I reconstitute it and use it as I would any liquid. 

I would follow the instructions on the container.

For this particular recipe, I would definitely use it as a liquid because a portion of the combined dry ingredients are saved for the topping.

Yes, most any fruit should work. Pears are awesome in this recipe. Also apples or berries would be great or any dried fruit.

In Rose’s books you can substitute pears for apples. I do that all the time because my husband prefers pears.

Can’t wait to hear all about it Abbey!

Posted: 05 November 2013 06:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Good Morning Flour Girl,

That was the perfect recipe for a week night because it wasn’t much trouble mixing it together. I was trying to hurry it up in order to get my beauty rest smile and totally forgot to add the buttermilk to the dry ingredients, thank goodness, esp. since you pointed out that I wouldn’t want that in the topping. Speaking of topping, I’d rather leave that off next time-just a little too sweet for me though as I was sprinkling it on the cake, I thought it might not be enough to cover the cake.

I whisked that buttermilk and water well before adding it to the batter and I could definitely taste it in the cake. I couldn’t really taste the pear though I added a cup. I suppose it was the pear itself that didn’t have much flavor yet due to the ripeness of it. The person that brought them in to work said they were sweet.  I should have sampled one first. I’ll have to wait for them to ripen up a bit.

I added a cup of sliced almonds instead of pecans or walnuts, thinking it would pair better with the pear and I think that was a good choice. I hope the birthday folks at work like it.

As you can see from the pics, I liked it. wink

Thanks fg. Oh, I hope your arm is healing up fast. I was thinking of you while mixing the oil into the dry ingredients because my arm got tired. The recipe said you didn’t need a KA mixer but when it came time to mix in the egg and buttermilk, I switched to the mixer plus I needed a bigger bowl.

Overall, I’d say it turned out pretty well, well worth the effort and I got to use my scale. Fun it twas!! Thanks everyone for all the help.

I’ll try to find some time to browse Rose’s CB today to find a recipe I can use this weekend. I still need to perfect that German Choc Cake one of these days. smile 

Abbey

Image Attachments
snack1.jpgsnack7.jpgsnack8.jpg

Posted: 05 November 2013 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 05 November 2013 06:33 AM

Good Morning Flour Girl,

That was the perfect recipe for a week night because it wasn’t much trouble mixing it together. I was trying to hurry it up in order to get my beauty rest smile and totally forgot to add the buttermilk to the dry ingredients, thank goodness, esp. since you pointed out that I wouldn’t want that in the topping. Speaking of topping, I’d rather leave that off next time-just a little too sweet for me though as I was sprinkling it on the cake, I thought it might not be enough to cover the cake.

I whisked that buttermilk and water well before adding it to the batter and I could definitely taste it in the cake. I couldn’t really taste the pear though I added a cup. I suppose it was the pear itself that didn’t have much flavor yet due to the ripeness of it. The person that brought them in to work said they were sweet.  I should have sampled one first. I’ll have to wait for them to ripen up a bit.

I added a cup of sliced almonds instead of pecans or walnuts, thinking it would pair better with the pear and I think that was a good choice. I hope the birthday folks at work like it.

As you can see from the pics, I liked it. wink

Thanks fg. Oh, I hope your arm is healing up fast. I was thinking of you while mixing the oil into the dry ingredients because my arm got tired. The recipe said you didn’t need a KA mixer but when it came time to mix in the egg and buttermilk, I switched to the mixer plus I needed a bigger bowl.

Overall, I’d say it turned out pretty well, well worth the effort and I got to use my scale. Fun it twas!! Thanks everyone for all the help.

I’ll try to find some time to browse Rose’s CB today to find a recipe I can use this weekend. I still need to perfect that German Choc Cake one of these days. smile 

Abbey

Hi Abbey!  Your cake looks very moist and is making me hungry. I’m so glad you enjoyed it. Pears do need to be ripe. I don’t think I taste the pears or apples in mine either. I think it just adds another layer of flavor to the cake. I think I’m going to try the dried cherries next time.

I love streusel. But if you thought it was too sweet, maybe sprinkling less next time? Or, as you mention, eliminating it totally. The cake is very moist so it really doesn’t require anything else.

I’m glad you tried it. Not a health food but low in cholesterol. My daughter in law and I are halfway through that cake.

Thank you for your wishes for my arm. I use a mixer for the entire recipe. I mix the dry ingredients in the mixer and, after removing the needed amount for the topping, I finish the cake in the mixer.

Have a good day Abbey! I hope your Grandma is doing well.

Posted: 06 November 2013 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hello Flour Girl wink,

I was thinking it could have stayed in the oven a few more minutes, to brown the top a bit more, but the toothpick came out clean. The gang here at work reallllly liked it. But, they like everything smile

I do like a streusel, but probably will add less topping next time, but really prefer a crisp w/o oatmeal, so I’ll just make a pear crisp this weekend. I spent several hours looking through some of my cookbooks last night, hoping to find a fun and kinda healthy dessert recipe- it ain’t easy!! smile I googled ‘healthy, oil-based, dessert recipes’, and got some ideas that I’ll ponder and decide what to bake by Sunday night, I hope. I haven’t forgotten that I promised to share a recipe with you, so I’m thinking of you.

My Grandma is doing really well, thanks for asking.  I had planned on sharing that snack cake with her last night, since it was my night to sit with her, but her daughter got sick.

I hope you had a wonderful day, Flour girl.

Abbey

Posted: 07 November 2013 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 06 November 2013 05:12 PM

Hello Flour Girl wink,

I was thinking it could have stayed in the oven a few more minutes, to brown the top a bit more, but the toothpick came out clean. The gang here at work reallllly liked it. But, they like everything smile

I do like a streusel, but probably will add less topping next time, but really prefer a crisp w/o oatmeal, so I’ll just make a pear crisp this weekend. I spent several hours looking through some of my cookbooks last night, hoping to find a fun and kinda healthy dessert recipe- it ain’t easy!! smile I googled ‘healthy, oil-based, dessert recipes’, and got some ideas that I’ll ponder and decide what to bake by Sunday night, I hope. I haven’t forgotten that I promised to share a recipe with you, so I’m thinking of you.

My Grandma is doing really well, thanks for asking.  I had planned on sharing that snack cake with her last night, since it was my night to sit with her, but her daughter got sick.

I hope you had a wonderful day, Flour girl.

Abbey

Hi Abbey,

I’m glad everyone at work liked your cake. If you have access to King Arthur’s Whole Grain baking book, there is a recipe which uses oats in the streusel. It is the banana crunch cake. I’ve mentioned it before. I sub oil for the butter. This cake rises to a nice thickness.
I found a site which offers the recipe. 

HERE it is.

I am not home. I’m visiting my relatives so I cannot look up the gram amounts I substituted. I also modified the mixing instructions because I changed it to an oil cake.  I believe I sift the dry ingredients over the mixing bowl into wet ingredients as Rose describes in her Refrigerator Banana Cake.  When I get home next week I will post it for you.

I’m glad to hear your Grandma is doing well.

Have a good weekend !

P.S. I think you could experiment with Flo Braker’s cake. I think you can add some oats to her streusel for the cake you just baked. Perhaps you can decrease the amount of almonds and replace with oats?? Just a thought.

Posted: 07 November 2013 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Howdy Flour Girl,

I just got a chance to look at that recipe you posted and I like it a lot. I was trying to figure out why they called it crunchy and saw they added toffee, one of my very favorite sweet treats. Thank you so much for that. It has many healthy little ingredients, doesn’t it? I will keep looking at it while I’m working and get back to you later. Hope you are having fun and look forward to hearing from you.

Abbey

Posted: 07 November 2013 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 07 November 2013 11:28 AM

Howdy Flour Girl,

I just got a chance to look at that recipe you posted and I like it a lot. I was trying to figure out why they called it crunchy and saw they added toffee, one of my very favorite sweet treats. Thank you so much for that. It has many healthy little ingredients, doesn’t it? I will keep looking at it while I’m working and get back to you later. Hope you are having fun and look forward to hearing from you.

Abbey

You are making it more healthy by subbing oil for butter. I have made it with 1 egg and 2 egg whites and the taste, texture and height of the cake was indistinguishable from the original version.

I didn’t include the toffee.

Let me know grin

Posted: 09 November 2013 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Yes, and I will also use your method for the eggs, I like that idea. I will add the toffee and let you know how good it is smile.

Probably will have a pic for you Sunday night, unless, I can get this house cleaned before tonight. That’s a sweet dream!! But I’m gonna try!!

Hope you are doing well and having a good day.

More later, Dear Flour Girl wink 

Posted: 10 November 2013 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 130 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

I learned something new: if your bananas aren’t ripe, put them in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes. I’m sitting here sampling a bite and must say that it is pretty good. I should have let it cool off first but had to see how it turned out.

Thanks Flour Girl, I love it that you give me recipes to try. I added the toffee, which I adore, so I’m really liking it. I told you how I can’t boil water if I’m tired, well, I’ve been cleaning like crazy since early this morning so I worried I’d mess it up somehow. I had to pay close attention and still added more butter to the topping than the recipe called for but it worked. It was the first time I made oatmeal flour which was a cinch. 

So, I will definitely do that again and, once again, thanks a bunch.

Abbey

Image Attachments
bb1.jpg

Posted: 11 November 2013 12:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 131 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 10 November 2013 09:34 PM

I learned something new: if your bananas aren’t ripe, put them in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes. I’m sitting here sampling a bite and must say that it is pretty good. I should have let it cool off first but had to see how it turned out.

Thanks Flour Girl, I love it that you give me recipes to try. I added the toffee, which I adore, so I’m really liking it. I told you how I can’t boil water if I’m tired, well, I’ve been cleaning like crazy since early this morning so I worried I’d mess it up somehow. I had to pay close attention and still added more butter to the topping than the recipe called for but it worked. It was the first time I made oatmeal flour which was a cinch. 

So, I will definitely do that again and, once again, thanks a bunch.

Abbey

Hi Abbey,  I love the idea about the bananas. I am always waiting for bananas to ripen. I’ll be using your method for sure!  Thank you!

You made oat flour? How cool! How did you do it?

Your cake looks delish! I’m so glad you liked it.  Did you substitute oil for the butter in the cake? I subbed oil for butter in the topping too. Yours looks great. I’ve got to try it with the toffee.

This is a good snack cake, and very versatile.

Thanks for trying it my dear!

Have a great week!

Posted: 11 November 2013 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 132 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Morning Flour Girl,

You know I meant to use the oil in the topping and wanted to ask you if you did. I was running on empty last night but wanted to get that recipe under my belt. Next time I will use the oil in the topping and, yes I used oil in the batter. I thought the recipe was a bit confusing, maybe it was just me, but it listed the ingredients then didn’t actually include them in the procedure. So, I just sort of played it by heart. 

I made the oat flour with the food processor—cinch!!

I was so glad to find the banana ripening technique. Most suggested running to the store to find some ripe ones but I didn’t have time for that. I peeled them and started with a minute, checked them and cooked again for half a minute. It also mentioned to not mash up too much in order to keep the bread from getting rubbery, something I’ve noticed before in homemade banana breads.

What next, Flour Girl? I had some raspberries and strawberries that were on the verge so I made a Crisp last night too. Both will go to work with me and everyone will be happy. wink

Thanks Flour Girl and I hope you have a good week too.

Posted: 11 November 2013 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 133 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 11 November 2013 08:18 AM

Morning Flour Girl,

You know I meant to use the oil in the topping and wanted to ask you if you did. I was running on empty last night but wanted to get that recipe under my belt. Next time I will use the oil in the topping and, yes I used oil in the batter. I thought the recipe was a bit confusing, maybe it was just me, but it listed the ingredients then didn’t actually include them in the procedure. So, I just sort of played it by heart. 

I made the oat flour with the food processor—cinch!!

I was so glad to find the banana ripening technique. Most suggested running to the store to find some ripe ones but I didn’t have time for that. I peeled them and started with a minute, checked them and cooked again for half a minute. It also mentioned to not mash up too much in order to keep the bread from getting rubbery, something I’ve noticed before in homemade banana breads.

What next, Flour Girl? I had some raspberries and strawberries that were on the verge so I made a Crisp last night too. Both will go to work with me and everyone will be happy. wink

Thanks Flour Girl and I hope you have a good week too.

Good Morning

Which ingredients are you referring to? I double checked the recipe in the book and did not see an ingredient not used. Perhaps the online version had an error.

Did you follow Rose’s mixing instructions for her Refrigerator Banana Cake?

I love Crisps. Which recipe do you follow?

What’s next? Hmmmm, Now that the holiday is upon us, perhaps trying some of Rose’s recipes. It is her recipes which make my family oooo and ahhh at functions. I wouldn’t take the risk of bringing anything other than Rose or Flo Braker cakes.  Last year I made Bouchon Bakery’s Rum Cake for Thanksgiving. it was impressive but it wasn’t a Rose cake.

I also made Booby Flay’s pumpkin bread pudding with carmel sauce. This is an amazing recipe.

For our family reunion last December I made Rose’s Lemon Almond Cake and Flo Braker’s Eggnog Pound Cake.  My sister-in-law requested I make the Lemon Almond Cake this year and an extra one for her to take home.

I want to try Rose’s Fruitcake in the wreath bundt pan. And the 3-D Pumpkin cake looks amazing.

Do you have any favorites for the holiday?

You have a good week too Abbey!!

Posted: 11 November 2013 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 134 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flour Girl,

Well, now that I have Rose’s cookbook, I will be trying to Wow them with one of her recipes. I really hope to make the GCC for our get together here at work. I do remember the Pumpkin cake and I agree that it looks amazing, difficult maybe but so cool. OM, that pumpkin bread pudding sounds good, that might be one to try. smile

I love eggnog, so that is a great idea and the Almond cake definitely caught my eye(that’s is very nice of you to bake a cake for your sister-in-law).  I cover for some people here at work, when they take vacation time, so it’s a matter of finding the time.  I hope to take the week before Thanksgiving, but haven’t had any experience with freezing cakes. I could learn though. wink 

As for the Crisp recipe, I don’t measure. It’s just flour, butter and brown sugar. I will cook the berries on the stove first, with sugar but last night I just put them in the pan and covered with the topping. I haven’t tried that yet, but the banana crunch bread turned out well.

I didn’t use Rose’s mixing instructions, but will next time and you are probably right about the online version. I gotta run but will talk later.

Posted: 12 November 2013 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 135 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 11 November 2013 01:19 PM

Hi Flour Girl,

Well, now that I have Rose’s cookbook, I will be trying to Wow them with one of her recipes. I really hope to make the GCC for our get together here at work. I do remember the Pumpkin cake and I agree that it looks amazing, difficult maybe but so cool. OM, that pumpkin bread pudding sounds good, that might be one to try. smile

I love eggnog, so that is a great idea and the Almond cake definitely caught my eye(that’s is very nice of you to bake a cake for your sister-in-law).  I cover for some people here at work, when they take vacation time, so it’s a matter of finding the time.  I hope to take the week before Thanksgiving, but haven’t had any experience with freezing cakes. I could learn though. wink 

As for the Crisp recipe, I don’t measure. It’s just flour, butter and brown sugar. I will cook the berries on the stove first, with sugar but last night I just put them in the pan and covered with the topping. I haven’t tried that yet, but the banana crunch bread turned out well.

I didn’t use Rose’s mixing instructions, but will next time and you are probably right about the online version. I gotta run but will talk later.

Hi Abbey,

I believe the pumpkin cake can be made in a regular Bundt pan as well as the 3-D pan. I’ve not made it but it is definitely on my short list.

I freeze cakes when I intend to travel with my cakes. So far I have not had any issues at all.  I know Anne is a big fan of freezing.

Your crisp sounds good. I think a crisp is a wonderful dessert whether you are serving company or for an average weeknight. To me, it screams comfort.

How did you mix the Banana Crunch Cake?

Have a good night Abbey.

9 of 10