9 of 9
Did Martha make a Mistake? Question on Leavening in Recipe
Posted: 11 November 2013 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  305
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flour Girl,

Well, now that I have Rose’s cookbook, I will be trying to Wow them with one of her recipes. I really hope to make the GCC for our get together here at work. I do remember the Pumpkin cake and I agree that it looks amazing, difficult maybe but so cool. OM, that pumpkin bread pudding sounds good, that might be one to try. smile

I love eggnog, so that is a great idea and the Almond cake definitely caught my eye(that’s is very nice of you to bake a cake for your sister-in-law).  I cover for some people here at work, when they take vacation time, so it’s a matter of finding the time.  I hope to take the week before Thanksgiving, but haven’t had any experience with freezing cakes. I could learn though. wink 

As for the Crisp recipe, I don’t measure. It’s just flour, butter and brown sugar. I will cook the berries on the stove first, with sugar but last night I just put them in the pan and covered with the topping. I haven’t tried that yet, but the banana crunch bread turned out well.

I didn’t use Rose’s mixing instructions, but will next time and you are probably right about the online version. I gotta run but will talk later.

Posted: 12 November 2013 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1544
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 11 November 2013 01:19 PM

Hi Flour Girl,

Well, now that I have Rose’s cookbook, I will be trying to Wow them with one of her recipes. I really hope to make the GCC for our get together here at work. I do remember the Pumpkin cake and I agree that it looks amazing, difficult maybe but so cool. OM, that pumpkin bread pudding sounds good, that might be one to try. smile

I love eggnog, so that is a great idea and the Almond cake definitely caught my eye(that’s is very nice of you to bake a cake for your sister-in-law).  I cover for some people here at work, when they take vacation time, so it’s a matter of finding the time.  I hope to take the week before Thanksgiving, but haven’t had any experience with freezing cakes. I could learn though. wink 

As for the Crisp recipe, I don’t measure. It’s just flour, butter and brown sugar. I will cook the berries on the stove first, with sugar but last night I just put them in the pan and covered with the topping. I haven’t tried that yet, but the banana crunch bread turned out well.

I didn’t use Rose’s mixing instructions, but will next time and you are probably right about the online version. I gotta run but will talk later.

Hi Abbey,

I believe the pumpkin cake can be made in a regular Bundt pan as well as the 3-D pan. I’ve not made it but it is definitely on my short list.

I freeze cakes when I intend to travel with my cakes. So far I have not had any issues at all.  I know Anne is a big fan of freezing.

Your crisp sounds good. I think a crisp is a wonderful dessert whether you are serving company or for an average weeknight. To me, it screams comfort.

How did you mix the Banana Crunch Cake?

Have a good night Abbey.

Posted: 12 November 2013 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  305
Joined  2011-12-25

Thanks You Dear Flour Girl—you are so nice!!

Well, I mixed the BCC this way: dry ingredients, eggs, then I got confused but carried on anyway:). The recipe was missing a line of code maybe, so I just added the ingredients. I did add the bananas last and tried to not over-mix them.

Co-workers said it was the best Banana ‘Bread’ smile  they’d ever tasted. I can rely on my nose to tell me when a cake is ready, most times anyway, but I do believe it could have baked for a few more minutes. But, maybe the oil makes that much of a difference?

I will make the BCC again, for when I sit with my Grandma this week. She will love it and I will get to experiment a bit more. 

Found my favorite Bundt pan while cleaning so I will bake that pumpkin cake. I love the picture of it in Rose’s CB.

I will report back on the BCC!! wink 

Posted: 13 November 2013 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Great!!!! I’m so happy to hear that!

Keep me posted.

Posted: 20 November 2013 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 21 October 2013 10:03 PM

I use E. Guittard Cocoa Rouge—it’s fabulous.  You can get it at Sur La Table, and I think it’s very reasonably priced ($9.95 for a 8 oz can).

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-592352/E+Guittard+Cocoa+Rouge+Cocoa+Powder

Going to the store to buy this today. Thanks Anne!

Posted: 21 November 2013 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thanks Anne. It turns out my store doesn’t carry the rouge but they allowed me to order it. They carried milk chocolate cocoa powder.

9 of 9