2 of 10
Did Martha make a Mistake? Question on Leavening in Recipe
Posted: 02 October 2013 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 02 October 2013 03:11 PM

This is so interesting. I haven’t tried a MS recipe either. I ordered Heavenly Cakes and am trying to wait patiently for it. smile

I need to take a treat to my Grandma’s house on Friday, esp since she absolutely loved the cake I made recently. I should probably use the same recipe and try to figure out why it didn’t rise quite like it should. The soda was brand new-maybe I didn’t bake it long enough but it was perfectly moist and not underdone. Maybe I didn’t measure the liquid exactly right. Or maybe I didn’t mix it long enough - I thought that while missing it but worried about mixing it longer and getting a tough cake.

I might try the chocolate cake recipe on the box just for grins.

Wait till I get Rose’s book and then I’ll really get serious!! smile

Hi Abbey!

Was your oven hot enough?  Maybe the ingredients weren’t measured precisely? That is why a scale is so important.

King Arthur Flour’s baking community offers an Escali scale.  It is sold on Amazon too.

I recently bought a different scale but I started with an Escali scale and found it to be reliable.

http://www.amazon.com/Escali-P115C-Digital-Multifunctional-Chrome/dp/B0007GAWRS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380742620&sr=8-2&keywords=escali+baking+scale

I am now using a My Weigh Scale, also sold on Amazon, among other places. I think both scales are equally good for my usage.

http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Scale-Bakers-KD8000-Weight/dp/B001NE0FU2/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1380742915&sr=1-1&keywords=my+weigh+scale

I know how anxious you must feel waiting for your book. I felt the same way and tracked my order way more than I needed to.

If you want to take one of Rose’s cakes to your Grandma you can find 3 recipes Rose posted for the public. If you go to her book, Rose’s Heavenly Cakes on Amazon and scroll down, you will find recipes for her Whipped Cream Cake ( it is baked in a bundt pan), her Red Velvet Cake (presented in a heart shapped pan but you can use a 9” round pan) and her Baby Lemon Cheesecake. 

I’ve made the Whipped Cream many times and everyone remarks it is their favorite. However, the next time I make a different Rose cake, they say the new cake is their favorite too LOL

I made the Red Velvet Cake for a family anniversary. It, too, was a hit.

I’ve not tried the Baby Cheesecake yet, or any cheesecake for that matter, but it looks really good.

Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Roses-Heavenly-Cakes-Rose-Beranbaum/dp/0471781738/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1380741847&sr=1-1&keywords=roses+heavenly+cakes

Thanks for your reply to the Martha Stewart thread.  I looked through the book at a local bookstore. There are many cakes made with oil that I would want to try. My library doesn’t have the book available yet. I hesitate to buy it because I have never made anything Martha. Like I said, I’m a cake snob and a cookbook snob too. I’ve been spoiled. wink

Let us know what you decide to bake.

Posted: 02 October 2013 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2012-01-12
Flour Girl - 02 October 2013 11:20 AM

I’ve never tried a Martha Stewart recipe.  The library has a long wait for her new Cakes book.

Has anyone ever tried any of her cake recipes? I’ve read her recipes but I am concerned about the taste.

I guess I am a cake snob now but it is hard to compare another author’s recipes to Rose.

Thanks!

hi Flour Girl,
I like MS recipes and I have tried a lot of them, cakes, but mostly cookies. I made one her chocolate rolled cakes as a Yule Log and I got an award for it. That was years ago. It was actually a cake decorating competition, but taste counted second to the decorations.  Her recipes come out the way it should.  Not sure if you have heard of Taste of Home magazine. Their recipes are also good. I was one of their Field Editors for a few years.

Posted: 02 October 2013 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24

I’ve never tried a Martha Stewart recipe.  The library has a long wait for her new Cakes book.

Has anyone ever tried any of her cake recipes? I’ve read her recipes but I am concerned about the taste.

I guess I am a cake snob now but it is hard to compare another author’s recipes to Rose.

Thanks!

You’ve got that right!!  Even having purchased some other baking books…I often just go to Rose anyway. 

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 03 October 2013 01:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CRenee - 02 October 2013 10:34 PM

Thanks!

You’ve got that right!!  Even having purchased some other baking books…I often just go to Rose anyway.

It’s so true! I know it’s a waste of money but I like to collect cookbooks. All I really need is Rose’s books.

I cannot wait for Rose’s new book The Baking Bible to be released!

I have been on the look-out for oil cakes because of my cholesterol.  Martha’s new book has several oil cakes and loaves. But if they don’t taste good, what’s the point??

Posted: 03 October 2013 01:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
prettycake - 02 October 2013 10:06 PM

Thanks!

hi Flour Girl,
I like MS recipes and I have tried a lot of them, cakes, but mostly cookies. I made one her chocolate rolled cakes as a Yule Log and I got an award for it. That was years ago. It was actually a cake decorating competition, but taste counted second to the decorations.  Her recipes come out the way it should.  Not sure if you have heard of Taste of Home magazine. Their recipes are also good. I was one of their Field Editors for a few years.

Hi Pretty Cake,

I have heard of Taste of Home magazine. I’ve heard very positive things about Taste of Home although I haven’t tried their recipes yet.  Having been their Field Editor is very impressive. I often thought you might have a professional background based on the presentation of your cakes. But I would never have imagined to this extent! I am putting Taste Of Home books on my library’s hold list and will give them a try.

I’m going to order Martha’s new book too. The reviews, thus far, complain of nothing being new. But, to me, everything is new from Martha.  And, all I want is some variety of oil-based cakes..nothing fancy, just everyday snack cakes.

Thank you so much! I really respect your opinion. I guess I’m going to be busy trying recipes! cool grin

Posted: 03 October 2013 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-18

ABBEY:
Good morning. I read your post with much interest regarding that the cake you baked to bring to Grandmothers house just didn’t
rise high enough.

Abbey why don’t you post the recipe & direction, ete, Perhaps some of us can troubleshoot that baking disappointment for you & suggest the proper fix.

Till then Abbey enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 03 October 2013 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2012-01-12

Hi Flour Girl,

Thank u. grin
I do not limit myself to just one book or certain recipes or baker. I am very open when it comes to baking and cooking. There is a whole wide world out there of recipes and all types of baking and cooking. I try a recipe that I think is good, if it does not come out the way I like it, I either improvise or just abandon the whole idea. I also do a lot of trial and error and experimentation. I’m sure a lot of baking enthusiast do the same thing. Everything I know, is all “self taught”. But I get ideas from people who can do it right, although I also took pastry courses at San Francisco Culinary Academy w/c is now called Le Cordon Bleu. I bake for fun and self satisfaction and not for money. That way I bake when I feel like it and not when someone wants me to. grin  it’s therapy.

Posted: 03 October 2013 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
prettycake - 03 October 2013 12:00 PM

Hi Flour Girl,

Thank u. grin
I do not limit myself to just one book or certain recipes or baker. I am very open when it comes to baking and cooking. There is a whole wide world out there of recipes and all types of baking and cooking. I try a recipe that I think is good, if it does not come out the way I like it, I either improvise or just abandon the whole idea. I also do a lot of trial and error and experimentation. I’m sure a lot of baking enthusiast do the same thing. Everything I know, is all “self taught”. But I get ideas from people who can do it right, although I also took pastry courses at San Francisco Culinary Academy w/c is now called Le Cordon Bleu. I bake for fun and self satisfaction and not for money. That way I bake when I feel like it and not when someone wants me to. grin  it’s therapy.

You are very talented! It’s amazing what you have accomplished on your own. How long did you attend SFCA?

I get a little intimidated and tend to stick to my technique comfort zone. I think I need to take a lesson from you and expand my scope. I have many cookbooks, fifty of which are baking. I only make a few recipes from each book. I haven’t even tried all of the recipes in Rose’s books. My family is limited in the things they like. They prefer snack cakes to layer cakes; and, anything with fruit in it is on top of their wish list.

Thank you Pretty Cake! I put THIS BOOK on hold in my library. There are 11 holds ahead of me. When I finally get the book I will post pics of the end results to show you.

Posted: 05 October 2013 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  256
Joined  2011-12-25

Just a quick note to let you all know I hadn’t forgotten about you and all your help. My Grandmother was taken to the hospital, so I’ve had to attend to that, but once I get rested a bit, get the house and kitchen back to normal, I’ll converse!!

Posted: 05 October 2013 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

The ingredients are 3 cups of sifted cake flour, 2 cups of sugar, 3 t. baking powder-ha, I think I used soda-well, that’s the problem.

Anyway, I took a look at the recipe Flour Girl told me about that was published for the public and really liked that, but I also have Rose’s Heavenly Cakes Cookbook now and just started reading it. What a beautiful book it is and I’ve already learned that Rose suggests heating the oven for at least 20 minutes before baking.

I’m up to the Karmel Cake and think that would be really good. I’m having some fun now. smile

I found the scale I bought a long time ago, added some batteries and it works just fine—thanks FG-you are very helpful and I appreciate it!!

PS My grandma is 97 years old. She has been struggling for the last year but is doing well now. She’s a tough German woman that loves to eat so I look forward to sharing one of Rose’s cakes with her.

Posted: 06 October 2013 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

Abbey, bless you for being such a kind and thoughtful grand-daughter!  I’m sure your grandmother appreciates you and she will appreciate you even more if you make her a cake from RHC!  I am in the UK and have had the book since it was first published as well as Rose’s Cake Bible and I can honestly say that the cakes I bake from these books are the BEST!  I have dozens of baking books, British and American, and Rose’s are my most favourite, because they are foolproof.  She is so meticulous about her instructions that the only way they will NOT turn out right is if you don’t follow her method.  Every time I make a cake from RHC someone will ask me about it, where I got the recipe, how I made it, etc. because the cake is so good.  My favourites are the Banana cake, the Carrot Cake, the Whipped Cream cake and the Palet D’or Gateau, the very first cake I made from the book.  There are too many more to mention, they are all good, for instance I made the Golden Dream Wedding Cake to celebrate my Golden Wedding, and it was lovely!  As you can tell by this admission, I am no spring chicken so I have had lots of years of making cakes, Rose came fairly late in my life but I am converted to her methods and recipes now.  I have also met her in person and she is as charming and delightful as her books are.  You can make cakes from her books with the knowledge that they will work for you, so go ahead and choose one you think your grandmother will like and give her a treat!:-)

Posted: 06 October 2013 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

I’m very pleased to meet you Jeannette and thank you for the kind words. Congratulations on your Golden Wedding - I’m glad it was lovely because you seem like a lovely person!! Rose does seem delightful to me too. I’m getting to know her through this book. 

My grandmother does appreciate me and I’m so glad I can make her happy-she is a good woman and has always taken good care of me. So, I’m studying RHC to find the perfect treat for her…it’s not easy either. Every recipe looks brilliant!

I hope to get into the ‘baking’ frame-of-mind by this evening so I can hopefully produce one of Rose’s Cakes successfully. I feel like I need to read the whole book before I can get a complete understanding but I might try it anyway since I will be staying with gramma next week.

Wish me luck and thanks again for a great story-I really enjoyed it.

Posted: 06 October 2013 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 05 October 2013 04:25 PM

Just a quick note to let you all know I hadn’t forgotten about you and all your help. My Grandmother was taken to the hospital, so I’ve had to attend to that, but once I get rested a bit, get the house and kitchen back to normal, I’ll converse!!

I’m so sorry to hear that. I wish your Grandma has a fast and complete recovery.

Posted: 06 October 2013 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 05 October 2013 08:22 PM

I found the scale I bought a long time ago, added some batteries and it works just fine—thanks FG-you are very helpful and I appreciate it!!

PS My grandma is 97 years old. She has been struggling for the last year but is doing well now. She’s a tough German woman that loves to eat so I look forward to sharing one of Rose’s cakes with her.

Anytime Abbey! I’m glad to hear your Grandma is doing well.  Sending Blessings for her.

I’m glad you have your book and scale!  Isn’t it beautiful?! I have 50 baking books and RHC is my favorite.

I haven’t made all the recipes. The recipes I have tried have been so extraordinary, I keep making them over and over again.

My husband’s all-time favorite is the very first recipe in the book, Apple Upside-Down Cake.

I have made the Banana Refrigerator Cake, on page 133, many, many times. We LOVE that cake. We like it with the variation to the Dreamy Creamy White Chocolate Frosting on page 135-136. The variation substitutes confectioner’s sugar for white chocolate.

The Many-Splendid Quick Bread, on page 131, is a breakfast and snack staple for us. I have to ship this cake to my father-in-law. After I brought him a loaf on a recent visit, he told me he wants to give-up his raisin bread and eat my bread every day. He toasted it and smeared butter on it.

The She Loves Me Cake is great (page 15) as is The Whipped Cream Cake (page 29).

Oh, oh, oh!! I cannot forget the Golden Lemon Almond Cake on page 37. One of my guests called it “addictive”. It bakes in a bundt but there is also a variation for this recipe to be baked in an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan.

Good luck with your baking Abbey. I can’t wait to read all about your journey!

Posted: 06 October 2013 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
jeannette - 06 October 2013 02:52 AM

Abbey, bless you for being such a kind and thoughtful grand-daughter!  I’m sure your grandmother appreciates you and she will appreciate you even more if you make her a cake from RHC!  I am in the UK and have had the book since it was first published as well as Rose’s Cake Bible and I can honestly say that the cakes I bake from these books are the BEST!  I have dozens of baking books, British and American, and Rose’s are my most favourite, because they are foolproof.  She is so meticulous about her instructions that the only way they will NOT turn out right is if you don’t follow her method.  Every time I make a cake from RHC someone will ask me about it, where I got the recipe, how I made it, etc. because the cake is so good.  My favourites are the Banana cake, the Carrot Cake, the Whipped Cream cake and the Palet D’or Gateau, the very first cake I made from the book.  There are too many more to mention, they are all good, for instance I made the Golden Dream Wedding Cake to celebrate my Golden Wedding, and it was lovely!  As you can tell by this admission, I am no spring chicken so I have had lots of years of making cakes, Rose came fairly late in my life but I am converted to her methods and recipes now.  I have also met her in person and she is as charming and delightful as her books are.  You can make cakes from her books with the knowledge that they will work for you, so go ahead and choose one you think your grandmother will like and give her a treat!:-)

Amen to that Jeanette. Very well-said. grin

2 of 10