3 of 10
Did Martha make a Mistake? Question on Leavening in Recipe
Posted: 06 October 2013 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  161
Joined  2011-12-25

You are so sweet Flower Girl,

I’ve looked at every recipe, I think. I scanned this book several times today and kept finding new and interesting things. I knew I wasn’t up to much today so I just kept my nose in the book.

While shopping for groceries, I bought some baking oils-I really wanted the lemon oil but they didn’t have it. I might have to order that online or go to Whole Foods. I bought several things I will need once I get started. I found some cake strips but they were kind of expensive and figured I could make my own, unless you tell me they are well worth it. 

More later, but thanks again. smile

Posted: 07 October 2013 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi Abbey,

I believe Anne of NC made her own cake strips at one time. I have Magi-Cake Strips. They work very well. Are they well worth it?  I hardly ever remember to use mine. They are great if you bake layer cakes often. I don’t. I bake mostly one layer. They are long strips and fasten with a clip. They come in a set of two. Both strips can be attached, by clips, to fit many different sized pans.

Rose has her own strips.  They are called Rose’s Heavenly Strips. They are made of silicone bands that fit around 8 or 9-inch pans. I believe you can use a clip to make them fit smaller pans. 

Do you live in the UK?

I had a hard time finding lemon oil too. I eventually found it but I never opened the bottle because a chef told me I can substitute lemon zest. I substituted the zest for the oil in the Golden Lemon Almond Cake. It was the very first time I baked that cake. It came out so delicious, I just never felt the need to use the oil. I’m sure the lemon oil is better but we are generally not fans of lemon. But, this cake, it is to die for.

Posted: 07 October 2013 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3127
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Abbey!

FG remembers correctly!  I do make my own. 

BUT, here’s what I find works EVEN BETTER, is WAY EASIER, and it was suggested by someone on the board—and I forget who, so I apologize to them in advance.  Someone:  If you read this, reveal yourself!

Prepare your pans.  Put them in the fridge or freezer.  Pour your batter in the cold pan and bake.  I prepare my pans the night before and put them in the fridge, but if you prepare your pans just before baking, the freezer might work better.  Just make sure you don’t put your tongue on them—har har.

The cold pan does the same thing the strips do—keeps the heat from getting to the outside before the inside.  I find my cakes come out more even this way than with cake strips and cook in a more normal time—cake strips add a lot of variation (for me). 

Try it!  You’ll love it!

Enjoy!!

—ak

Posted: 07 October 2013 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Howdy ak—He He—I will try very hard to remember that smile

I like that idea very much-it makes perfect sense to me so thanks. I will most likely use the freezer plan - I wish I were more organized. wink

Why does Rose only use one pan for some of the cakes?  I was wondering about that yesterday. I kept thinking I was missing something but maybe not?

Is it because the cake is so dang good????? smile

I realllly look forward to baking one of these beauties. How do I decide? I was leaning toward something lemony because of my grandma but there are several lemon recipes to choose from. I might just have to shut my eyes and pick…

Posted: 07 October 2013 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

FG,

I will try the zest then. That Golden Lemon Almond Cake will definitely be one to try-I do love the photography in this book.

I’m in the US, with a variety of specialty stores, but I like the zest idea for now. Maybe someday I will chance upon the oil that Rose suggested-it wasn’t terribly expensive. 

I was googling how to make one’s own lemon oil. It looked like a long process, which is okay, but I’ll use you method. Thank You Again…     

Posted: 07 October 2013 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Abbey!

Sometimes occasions call for a one-layer cake, I guess—got to please everyone, no???  When she makes one-layer cakes, she uses a touch less BP so that they dome a little—usually 1/8t less—whereas a stacking layer should be as flat as possible.  So, if you wanted to convert one of her one-layers to two stacking layers, you’d double the recipe, except you’d add another 1/4 tsp of baking powder (1/8 t. per layer). Or you can play it safe and only add an extra 1/8 t. total and cut off any dome.  Less leavening—which just cause a removable dome—is better than too much leavning, which can have a birdbath effect!

—ak

Posted: 07 October 2013 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Thank you for explaining that to me. I read the FAQ section on this site and found that same explanation. I guess I always thought more leavening caused it to rise-wrong!!

Posted: 08 October 2013 01:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I didn’t know that freezer technique. I’ve got to try it. Thank you Anne!

Posted: 08 October 2013 01:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 07 October 2013 03:31 PM

FG,

I will try the zest then. That Golden Lemon Almond Cake will definitely be one to try-I do love the photography in this book.

I’m in the US, with a variety of specialty stores, but I like the zest idea for now. Maybe someday I will chance upon the oil that Rose suggested-it wasn’t terribly expensive. 

I was googling how to make one’s own lemon oil. It looked like a long process, which is okay, but I’ll use you method. Thank You Again…     

Hi Abbey,

I didn’t realize you were in the US. King Arthur Flour and Sur la Table carry lemon oil should you want to try it. I believe Rose prefers Boyajin.

At the time I was baking that cake, some members recommended I use the oil, at least the first time. Since my family doesn’t love lemon, we thought the cake was awesome with the zest. I don’t think my family would have enjoyed it as much if the lemon taste was any stronger than it was. I guess it’s all a matter of preference.

Posted: 08 October 2013 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Good Morning, Flour Girl-

I wanted to ask you how much zest you used? I really think just a hint of lemon would work.

I like lemon but I think it needs to be balanced - I buy a lemon pie from a grocery store around here that uses a layer of cream cheese. It’s a favorite of my co-workers and my family but I think one of Rose’s Cakes could outdo it by a mile.

I don’t know much about using the oils in baking or how much difference it makes compared to the zest but I have some lemons to use.

Please let me know how much you used for your cake.

Thanks!!

Posted: 08 October 2013 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, FG!  Disclaimer: I haven’t actually tried the freezer method, myself.  I always use the fridge and prepare my pans the night before or a couple of hours before baking.

I wanted to ask you how much zest you used?

Hi, Abby!  I know this question was for FG, but I thought I’d butt in!  I made two 9x2 layers of Rose’s All American Downy Yellow Butter Cake and whirred the zest of 3 lemons with the sugar (which helps distribute the oils nicely).  It made a fabulous lemon cake!!!  I used no lemon oil or lemon extract.  Here’s a link to the post:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/5075/

Posted: 08 October 2013 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 08 October 2013 09:04 AM

Good Morning, Flour Girl-

I wanted to ask you how much zest you used? I really think just a hint of lemon would work.

I like lemon but I think it needs to be balanced - I buy a lemon pie from a grocery store around here that uses a layer of cream cheese. It’s a favorite of my co-workers and my family but I think one of Rose’s Cakes could outdo it by a mile.

I don’t know much about using the oils in baking or how much difference it makes compared to the zest but I have some lemons to use.

Please let me know how much you used for your cake.

Thanks!!

Good Morning Abbey,

The recipe calls for 2TB zest and 3/8tsp lemon oil. I was told you can substitute 1 tsp of zest for 1/8tsp of oil.

I used 1TB of zest to substitute for the oil. In total I used 3TB zest.

The recipe also uses lemon juice in the soaking syrup.

If you think that amount is too much for you, the quantity of the zest can be reduced because the reduction will only affect the taste. The foundation of the cake will remain unaffected.

This cake gives little jolts of flavor as you eat it because holes are poked in the cake and then it is soaked. Oh yeah!

Posted: 08 October 2013 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 08 October 2013 09:16 AM

Hi, FG!  Disclaimer: I haven’t actually tried the freezer method, myself.  I always use the fridge and prepare my pans the night before or a couple of hours before baking.

Thanks Anne ! I can see myself using both methods, depending on the circumstances. Both make perfect sense to me.

A tip on using the freezer I’d like to share comes from Bouchon Bakery. Thomas Keller instructs, in his Rum Cake recipe, to butter the bundt pan and stick it in the refrigerator or freezer. He feels this will help create an even layer of sugar when coating the pan.

Not related, I know, just wanted to throw that in. grin

Posted: 08 October 2013 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, FG!  That’s a great tip!!!!  I think sugared-exterior bundt cakes are so pretty, and I can see going into a tizzy trying to coat the pan and hving over-sugared spots and bare spots, so this is a great tip!

Posted: 08 October 2013 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Thank you all for the helpful ideas. I’ve been telling my Grandma all about this lemon cake I’m going to make for her. We just ate lemon pie but I think she is looking forward to the cake. I’ll have to make sure I do just that this weekend. Thanks again. wink

3 of 10