4 of 10
Did Martha make a Mistake? Question on Leavening in Recipe
Posted: 09 October 2013 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

Abbey, I can’t wait to hear all about it!

Posted: 09 October 2013 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  167
Joined  2011-12-25

Flour Girl,

Thanks so much for encouraging me - it’s nice to have someone helping you along. smile You’ll be the first to know…

I’m gearing up for it, got my cookbook with me, checking my list and hoping for an awesome cake.

I wasn’t sure which recipe to follow but—I Think— the Golden Dream cake recipe sounds good.

I still have to decide which frosting to use.

This week is so busy, I can’t seem to find the time to read the book-that’s why I brought it to work smile

I’ve learned so much, but still feel like I don’t know enough, yet. But, come Sunday evening, I’ll have a story to share with you. 

Posted: 09 October 2013 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 09 October 2013 11:07 AM

Flour Girl,

Thanks so much for encouraging me - it’s nice to have someone helping you along. smile You’ll be the first to know…

I’m gearing up for it, got my cookbook with me, checking my list and hoping for an awesome cake.

I wasn’t sure which recipe to follow but—I Think— the Golden Dream cake recipe sounds good.

I still have to decide which frosting to use.

This week is so busy, I can’t seem to find the time to read the book-that’s why I brought it to work smile

I’ve learned so much, but still feel like I don’t know enough, yet. But, come Sunday evening, I’ll have a story to share with you. 

Oh, you are more than welcome Abbey. I enjoy our conversations. When I first found this group, I was brand new. Everyone here has been, and continues to be, so helpful and inspiring.  I’m glad I was able to reach out to you.

Are you referring to the Golden Lemon Almond Cake or the Golden Dream Wedding Cake?

The Golden Lemon Almond Cake requires no frosting. It gets soaked in syrup combined with turbinado sugar. To me, the effect is like glimmering stars twinkling in the night’s sky.

I’m sure it is hard balancing all you have to do with all you want to do. Baking has become an escape for me. Not that I need something to escape from; but, when I bake I shut the rest of the world out. My husband was watching me and said I am very serious when I bake LOL

Posted: 12 October 2013 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2012-01-12

Hi Flour Girl,
If u want, when you go to the library,
Taste of Home Annual Recipes 2010 hard copy, page 298, you will see my recipe with my name on it, page title: Indulge in a Dessert Buffet..grin thought you would be interested.

Posted: 13 October 2013 02:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Yes, I am very interested!  That is quite an accomplishment! I am so happy for you. You should be very proud.

I checked on line and found my library doesn’t have any of the TOH annuals.

So I shopped around, found a brand new copy, and ordered it. Now I can brag to all my friends one of our own made it to Taste Of Home.

I’m looking forward to getting it (4-14 days). I’ll let you know when I receive it.

Thank you prettycake!

Posted: 13 October 2013 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Anne and Flour Girl,

The butter and eggs are sitting on the cupboard just waiting for me to get busy. I can’t decide which cake to bake - it’s getting late and I need something simple tonight—any ideas? I had planned on the Golden Dream ‘Wedding’ Cake but saw that Rose had suggested giving it some time to let the lemon syrup soak into the cake. I could just skip that step?? Or I could bake the Golden Lemon Almond Cake. I was also wondering if I can use the round cake pans instead of the bundt pan.

Thanks for any help.

Abbey

Posted: 13 October 2013 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 13 October 2013 08:44 PM

Anne and Flour Girl,

The butter and eggs are sitting on the cupboard just waiting for me to get busy. I can’t decide which cake to bake - it’s getting late and I need something simple tonight—any ideas? I had planned on the Golden Dream ‘Wedding’ Cake but saw that Rose had suggested giving it some time to let the lemon syrup soak into the cake. I could just skip that step?? Or I could bake the Golden Lemon Almond Cake. I was also wondering if I can use the round cake pans instead of the bundt pan.

Thanks for any help.

Abbey

Hi Abbey!

I don’t know which ingredients you have on hand. If you turn to page 483 you will see a list of “Quick And Easy Recipes”.

The She Loves Me cake on page 15 is delish!  As I mentioned in a discussion about this cake HERE it is the easiest cake I ever made and does not call for any ingredients you would not ordinarily have on-hand.  I highly recommend this cake. Delicious!

It calls for a 10-cup rectangular or fluted (bundt) pan. 

If you don’t have a 10-cup bundt, here is a table of Cake Pan Size Conversions. It is not from Rose.  I hope this helps.

http://allrecipes.com/howto/cake-pan-size-conversions/

Posted: 13 October 2013 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi there Flour Girl,

I favorited that conversion page—very good-thank you for that. I will use that for sure.

And, I didn’t even see the Q&E recipe page. Perfect. I remember that you posted the She Love Me cake when you baked it - I love the picture in the book and the way she decorated it with those darling little daisies. That would be the one, though I put everything back in the fridge and gave the dog a bath instead. I might have to wait, again, until next weekend. I really need to be at my best - time got away from me tonight - when I bake. I take it very seriously as well, but it is serious fun!!

Thank you so much for your help - you are good.

BTW, your Blueberry Ricotta Custard Cake looks delicious. I will have to take a look at the blog.

Posted: 14 October 2013 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi Abbey, I know how it feels when you need an answer fast. I’m sorry you had to put your ingredients away. But as you say, it is better to be in the right frame of mind than to be rushed and make mistakes.  I cannot bake and do anything else.  Baking takes my undivided attention. I don’t even answer the phone.

I’m glad you found the conversion chart handy. 

When I made the She Loves Me Cake I became hooked. And it is so easy and you have everything you need to bake it. It’s a win-win!

Posted: 15 October 2013 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Thank You Flour Girl - 

I must admit, Rose’s method of mixing the flour and then adding the butter seems so much different than what I’m used to. I always thought it was most important to get that perfect fluffy texture of the butter and sugar and to not over-mix after adding the flour. I’m quite interested and look forward to trying this. 

Hopefully, I will be rested and ready for the challenge this weekend. I agree with you about giving it our undivided attention AND feeling like the world is just right, or else, I can’t boil water. smile 

Abbey

Posted: 15 October 2013 11:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi Abbey,

Using Rose’s method, the entire batter becomes fluffy. If raw eggs was not in the batter, I doubt the pan would get filled with any batter at all. It looks like a luscious cloud even before it is baked.

I’m with you on the boiling water. But now that I am more familiar with the recipes I find they are easier than the recipes in other books. I try to apply Roses’s mixing directions to other recipes. This is especially true when I substitute oil for the butter in other books.

I can’t wait to hear about your cake!

Posted: 16 October 2013 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Flour Girl,

You know, I would like to use oil in these cake recipes.

So, can you recommend one of Rose’s recipes that uses oil and one that you really like. Also, which would be the best tasting and healthiest oil, I wonder?

Watching cholesterol levels is important, and if we can make a dessert a little healthier, might as well.

I’ll have to look for Rose’s cookbook. I’ve been carrying it with me everywhere I go, in order to sneak a look when time allowed, but now I’m not sure where it is. Don’t worry, I’ll find it.smilesmile

Let me know what you think, please.

Abbey

Posted: 17 October 2013 02:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 16 October 2013 09:43 PM

Flour Girl,

You know, I would like to use oil in these cake recipes.

So, can you recommend one of Rose’s recipes that uses oil and one that you really like. Also, which would be the best tasting and healthiest oil, I wonder?

Watching cholesterol levels is important, and if we can make a dessert a little healthier, might as well.

I’ll have to look for Rose’s cookbook. I’ve been carrying it with me everywhere I go, in order to sneak a look when time allowed, but now I’m not sure where it is. Don’t worry, I’ll find it.smilesmile

Let me know what you think, please.

Abbey

Hi Abbey ,

I had to lower my cholesterol. The steps I took dropped my total cholesterol from 257 to 191. I no longer eat anything with butter. However, I do bake a lot of butter cakes for my family.

My favorite oil cake of Rose’s is the Banana Refrigerator Cake on page 132. I make the Dreamy Creamy Frosting, omitting the white chocolate and subbing confectioners sugar. For me, I scrape the frosting off. I don’t recommend a vegan frosting recipe because they usually call for Earth Balance Vegan butter or shortening. Both contain as much saturated fat (which is converted to cholesterol) as butter. I prefer glazes.

I am definitely in favor of healthy baking. I use Spectrum Canola Oil. I also use their baking spray. I use organic ingredients when possible. I avoid many cookbooks that are obviously unhealthy such as typical southern recipes.

Another oil recipe I like is the Many-Splendid Quick Bread on page 131. It’s a snack cake, not too sweet, and also a bread. I have glazed it which made the flavor pop.

On page 494 you will find a list of oil cakes.

I have all of Roses’s books. If you go to your library I would recommend loaning The Cake Bible and The Bread Bible. On pages 11-12 The Cake Bible lists cakes with low or no cholesterol. The Bread Bible has an excellent zucchini bread/ muffin recipe, among a few others.

I hope your Grandma is doing better.

Posted: 17 October 2013 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Dear Flour Girl,

Thank you for asking about my Grandma. She fell last week and ended up in the hospital, again. She was in a lot of pain, but still managed to ask how I was doing.  Sweeter than sweet, she is.

Also, thank you for all your very interesting comments. I will read the recipes you suggested. I use Canola Oil for cooking, along with a dab of the whipped Land-O-Lakes butter for flavor.

My cholesterol is high, so I’m determined to improve my diet and get more exercise-very impressive that you were able to lower your numbers so much-good for you!! 

The library is clear across town, so I will probably buy the other cookbooks. I bought a used ‘Heavenly Cake’ cookbook from Amazon. When it arrived in the mail, I saw it was from a library smile Affordable and in good enough shape for me.

Thanks so much Flour Girl. You are a joy to talk to!!

Posted: 18 October 2013 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 17 October 2013 08:20 PM

Hi Dear Flour Girl,

Thank you for asking about my Grandma. She fell last week and ended up in the hospital, again. She was in a lot of pain, but still managed to ask how I was doing.  Sweeter than sweet, she is.

Also, thank you for all your very interesting comments. I will read the recipes you suggested. I use Canola Oil for cooking, along with a dab of the whipped Land-O-Lakes butter for flavor.

My cholesterol is high, so I’m determined to improve my diet and get more exercise-very impressive that you were able to lower your numbers so much-good for you!! 

The library is clear across town, so I will probably buy the other cookbooks. I bought a used ‘Heavenly Cake’ cookbook from Amazon. When it arrived in the mail, I saw it was from a library smile Affordable and in good enough shape for me.

Thanks so much Flour Girl. You are a joy to talk to!!

Hi Abbey,

Thank you. It is always enjoyable speaking with you!

I’m so sorry to hear about your Grandma. Falls are serious when you are a senior. Two elders in my family recently fell. One broke 5 ribs and the other broke her arm in 2 places. I hope your Grandma recovers soon.

I’m glad you got a good copy of RHC. That is such a beautiful book. And I’m glad you are considering buying Rose’s other books. You cannot go wrong with a Rose book. I’m sure you will enjoy owning all of them. Many discussions in this forum are based on the recipes in all her books.

As for cholesterol, I am a believer in the theory big changes are easier to make than small changes. Although I love butter (in cakes, in streusel, on bread) I just stopped having it. I now use olive oil on bread and have gotten to really like it. I make streusel with oil on the cakes I make for myself. It can be good if you have the right recipe.

A few members have discussed their cholesterol situation as it relates to baking. If you do a search you will find several discussions. One of the threads I started on the topic is HERE. Initially, I did not want to broadcast the health concern was mine but I eventually fessed-up.

Looking forward to speaking to you soon grin

4 of 10