5 of 10
Did Martha make a Mistake? Question on Leavening in Recipe
Posted: 18 October 2013 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  251
Joined  2011-12-25

HI Flour Girl,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I went to my Grandma’s house after work and just got home. She was in so much pain, we thought perhaps she had broken a rib, but she had not. My, one broken rib would be painful enough, but 5!! I hope they recover soon, as well. It is so sad to see them suffer.

I quickly scanned the thread you posted for me-(thank you)-this morning but I want to read it again tonight. 

The German chocolate cake caught my eye when I first looked through the RHC CB and now I see it calls for oil. Perfect!! 

I have all the ingredients, except the superfine sugar. Is this really necessary? Do you process the regular sugar to refine it? 

Have you, or anyone else here, baked the German Chocolate cake?

Thanks for all the help, once again. 

Abbey

PS You have done an excellent job of changing your diet, I applaud you!!

Posted: 19 October 2013 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 18 October 2013 09:51 PM

HI Flour Girl,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I went to my Grandma’s house after work and just got home. She was in so much pain, we thought perhaps she had broken a rib, but she had not. My, one broken rib would be painful enough, but 5!! I hope they recover soon, as well. It is so sad to see them suffer.

I quickly scanned the thread you posted for me-(thank you)-this morning but I want to read it again tonight. 

The German chocolate cake caught my eye when I first looked through the RHC CB and now I see it calls for oil. Perfect!! 

I have all the ingredients, except the superfine sugar. Is this really necessary? Do you process the regular sugar to refine it? 

Have you, or anyone else here, baked the German Chocolate cake?

Thanks for all the help, once again. 

Abbey

PS You have done an excellent job of changing your diet, I applaud you!!

Hi Abbey,

Thank you so much!

I’m so sorry your Grandma is going through this.  It’s miserable and you must feel helpless.

You can make your own superfine sugar in a food processor. If I remember correctly Anne has processed sugar in the past.

I have a container of the superfine sugar but don’t really use it for just us. I use it when I am bringing a cake to a function. If I didn’t have it and could not make it, I would make the cake with regular sugar.

Yes, several members have made that cake. I haven’t yet because my husband is not a fan of chocolate (can you believe that?!) and I avoid frosting. You can search the name of that cake on the forum and I am sure you will find several discussions on it.

When are you planning to bake?

Posted: 19 October 2013 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Morning Flour Girl,

I was just thinking, before I read your reply, how I should shoot for baking the cake on Saturday night instead of Sunday. I’m much more rested by Sunday but I usually stay up too late and pay for it on Monday morning.wink

I already set out the eggs and the oil. I don’t have pecans so I will make the icing on Sunday. I read several posts regarding the GCC and how they mixed things up a bit, but since this cake is for the gang at work,(they love GCC)I will stick with tradition.

Thanks for the kind words, you are very thoughtful and I appreciate it. She is with the other granddaughter this weekend, who knows how to take good care of her, so I can rest easy about that. 

I will post later about The Cake.

Posted: 19 October 2013 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Abbey!

You can definitely just whir regular sugar in the food processor for about a minute for superfine sugar.  Parts will be finer than others, but it will be perfect.

As to the German Chocolate Cake, people are crazy about this cake.  I don’t like it, myself, because I don’t like oil cakes, but I am in the minority, for sure.  I’ve used the GCC as a base for a different cake (i.e., different frosting), and I’ve made the mini chocolate oblivions from RHC, which use the GC cake batter.  In both cases, people went mad over the cakes—commenting specifically on the cake part. I’ve also heard that Rose’s GCC topping (the coconut/pecan stuff) is amazing—I’ll have to try it sometime. 

So, the point is, if you make this cake, you can count on having a socko smasheroo on your hands!

Enjoy!

Report back!

—ak

Posted: 19 October 2013 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 19 October 2013 09:41 AM

Morning Flour Girl,

I was just thinking, before I read your reply, how I should shoot for baking the cake on Saturday night instead of Sunday. I’m much more rested by Sunday but I usually stay up too late and pay for it on Monday morning.wink

I already set out the eggs and the oil. I don’t have pecans so I will make the icing on Sunday. I read several posts regarding the GCC and how they mixed things up a bit, but since this cake is for the gang at work,(they love GCC)I will stick with tradition.

Thanks for the kind words, you are very thoughtful and I appreciate it. She is with the other granddaughter this weekend, who knows how to take good care of her, so I can rest easy about that. 

I will post later about The Cake.

Hi Abbey,

I’m so looking forward to hearing about you GCC! When I first became a member I was told to make the cake according to the recipe the first time. I think you are making a good choice.

It’s so nice that your Grandma has other people to spend time with her.

Good luck with your cake!

Posted: 19 October 2013 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 19 October 2013 12:32 PM

Hi, Abbey!

You can definitely just whir regular sugar in the food processor for about a minute for superfine sugar.  Parts will be finer than others, but it will be perfect.

As to the German Chocolate Cake, people are crazy about this cake.  I don’t like it, myself, because I don’t like oil cakes, but I am in the minority, for sure.  I’ve used the GCC as a base for a different cake (i.e., different frosting), and I’ve made the mini chocolate oblivions from RHC, which use the GC cake batter.  In both cases, people went mad over the cakes—commenting specifically on the cake part. I’ve also heard that Rose’s GCC topping (the coconut/pecan stuff) is amazing—I’ll have to try it sometime. 

So, the point is, if you make this cake, you can count on having a socko smasheroo on your hands!

Enjoy!

Report back!

—ak

You are making me hungry for this cake grin I cannot believe I haven’t made it yet.

Posted: 20 October 2013 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Mission accomplished!! Not perfect, but close enough for my first effort. Over-cooked and a little more like devil’s food then GC, probably due to the cocoa. 

I set the timer for 25 minutes, but detected the aroma of a cake that was over-cooked at least 5 minutes before the time set. I immediately took them out, though the center didn’t look completely cooked, and carefully unmolded them. That was tricky because they were fragile. Rose warns of this in her CB, so I was prepared, but I really had to be gentle. 

Realized the cocoa I had was not alkalized, searched here and learned it shouldn’t make much of a difference, but do believe the cocoa I used made it more like a devil’s food cake. I used the Ghirardelli brand and have learned, from using this in previous recipes, it is has a richer flavor.

The cake does taste wonderful. I’m considering trying this again today. smile

I added some pics but wish I could get more magnification for a better view of the crumb.

It fell in the middle because it was over-cooked but I also think that I didn’t mix it long enough after adding the egg whites… I’m learning!! 

Image Attachments
GCC41.jpgGCC11.jpggcc21.jpg

Posted: 20 October 2013 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 20 October 2013 09:25 AM

Mission accomplished!! Not perfect, but close enough for my first effort. Over-cooked and a little more like devil’s food then GC, probably due to the cocoa. 

I set the timer for 25 minutes, but detected the aroma of a cake that was over-cooked at least 5 minutes before the time set. I immediately took them out, though the center didn’t look completely cooked, and carefully unmolded them. That was tricky because they were fragile. Rose warns of this in her CB, so I was prepared, but I really had to be gentle. 

Realized the cocoa I had was not alkalized, searched here and learned it shouldn’t make much of a difference, but do believe the cocoa I used made it more like a devil’s food cake. I used the Ghirardelli brand and have learned, from using this in previous recipes, it is has a richer flavor.

The cake does taste wonderful. I’m considering trying this again today. smile

Wonderful! I’m so glad you liked your cake! All my cakes, regardless of how many times I bake it, becomes a new learning experience for me. It sounds like this cake was the same for you. I like the idea of trying it again today.

What did you think about the technique?

Posted: 20 October 2013 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

I loved it, from measuring (though I couldn’t get the scale to work) all the ingredients, mixing, so carefully, all the dry ingredients, to using the parchment paper to add the dry mix into the cocoa mix.

So many techniques, I’d only read about or watched someone else do or hadn’t done in a long time, from adding the boiling water to the cocoa, to separating the eggs, I was doing and feeling good about it.

Therapeutic, it is!!

I even remembered to put the pans in the freezer. 

Thanks for all the help and encouragement, everyone!!

I figure trying again today would be smart—we’ll see !! wink           

Posted: 20 October 2013 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Excellent! I’m happy to hear the good news. But, of course, I expected nothing less smile  Let us know how the second cake turns out.

Posted: 21 October 2013 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Congratulations!  The cakes look great!

I have to watch my cakes closely, too.  I’ve gotten to know when it’s safe to start checking them—the center is dry and not at all sunken.  I start by just touching them.  If my fingerprint stays, I know it’s not done yet.  If it doesn’t, I use a toothpick.  If it’s getting at all close, I don’t let it cook any more than another 3 minutes.  If it has started to pull away from the side of the pan, time to take it out.  If last time I checked it, they hadn’t yet pulled away, it won’t be overdone. 

If you have a fast instant read thermometer (I don’t), a butter/oil cake is usually done when the internal temp. is around 202 (someone correct me if I’m wrong).

Posted: 21 October 2013 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

The sides had not pulled away at all, but they were definitely done. Rose said the middle of the cake would start to sink, toward the end of the baking time, so when I saw that I thought it was done. The center had the texture of a brownie, so it was close.

Also, I had the oven on for much longer than 20 minutes before baking?? Was my flour mixture not perfect? Possibly, a little bit of the BP or soda didn’t get incorporated into the batter?? Also, the batter was darker in color than it should have been? do you think it was the brand of cocoa I used?

Next time, I won’t walk away from the oven. smile

Thanks a bunch!!

Posted: 21 October 2013 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 21 October 2013 09:27 AM

Congratulations!  The cakes look great!

Where is it? I don’t see a picture of the cake.

Posted: 21 October 2013 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

@ FG:  Cake is up there on 10/20—4 posts above my previous reply.

@ Abbey:  It’s good your cake didn’t pull away—it’s not supposed to until it’s out of the oven—that’s why when I see mine have pulled, I yank them!!  I can’t remember if this one pulls or not.  I’m fairly sure the color of your cake is due to the cocoa powder, but I’m not scientific.  I think—but I’m not sure—that the different cocoas could make a difference in a cake where a lot is used, since they might react differently to BS.  If one is alkalized, it would have a lower acidity than a non-alkalized cocoa powder, and BS is for acidity.  But, again, I’m not sure.  When you say your center is like a brownie, that, to me, would be slightly undercooked, but I think of fudgy brownies, and maybe you’re referring to “cake-like” brownies (editorial remark: yuk to cake-like brownies!).

smile

—ak

Posted: 21 October 2013 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

FG—I added those pics after you read the post, probably.  Thanks for the vote of confidence, Flour Girl, and I will try to perfect that cake soon, I hope.

ak - I had a feeling the cocoa would be an issue, so I will get the alkalized cocoa or add less BS. I’ll get the alkalized cocoa. wink

The cake was more like cake-like brownies, but still very good and sweet enough w/o icing.  And, I will mix the batter longer-it wasn’t fluffy enough. Thanks Anne!!

Abbey

5 of 10