6 of 10
Did Martha make a Mistake? Question on Leavening in Recipe
Posted: 21 October 2013 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

OMGosh!

Abbey did you post those pics at the same time you wrote about your cake? Because I didn’t see them at all. I was thinking of asking you for a pic but I didn’t want to put you on the spot, incase you didn’t want to post pics.

Your cake looks very nice. It is nice and level and rose to a nice height. Your cake does not look too dark to me.

I actually have 3 oven thermometers in my oven. I think it is important to have at least one thermometer in the oven. Another thing I suggest is to get a new scale if your scale is not operational. I would not bake without one. I don’t even cook without a scale. I think it is so important, especially when flour is involved.

Posted: 21 October 2013 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

FG—I added those pics after you read the post, probably.  Thanks for the vote of confidence, Flour Girl, and I will try to perfect that cake soon, I hope.

ak - I had a feeling the cocoa would be an issue, so I will get the alkalized cocoa or add less BS. I’ll get the alkalized cocoa.

The cake was more like cake-like brownies, but still very good and sweet enough w/o icing.  And, I will mix the batter longer-it wasn’t fluffy enough. Thanks Anne!!

Abbey

We didi it again grin I think we are posting at the exact same time

Posted: 21 October 2013 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 21 October 2013 05:57 PM

FG—I added those pics after you read the post, probably.  Thanks for the vote of confidence, Flour Girl, and I will try to perfect that cake soon, I hope.

ak - I had a feeling the cocoa would be an issue, so I will get the alkalized cocoa or add less BS. I’ll get the alkalized cocoa. wink

The cake was more like cake-like brownies, but still very good and sweet enough w/o icing.  And, I will mix the batter longer-it wasn’t fluffy enough. Thanks Anne!!

Abbey

I think it’s good to have both cocoas on hand. 

I use Hershey’s and Droste.

I believe Rose recommended Droste at one time (in RHC). Hershey’s is recommended by Marcel Desaulniers, in his book, Death By Chocolate (Rose has a recipe in that book).

Many more current books recommend Valrhona. I have never tried it because it is very expensive and, since my husband doesn’t like chocolate, not necessary for my needs.  I would get it if I was baking something that had to be extraordinary.

Posted: 21 October 2013 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

I use E. Guittard Cocoa Rouge—it’s fabulous.  You can get it at Sur La Table, and I think it’s very reasonably priced ($9.95 for a 8 oz can).

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-592352/E+Guittard+Cocoa+Rouge+Cocoa+Powder

Posted: 21 October 2013 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  236
Joined  2011-12-25

Haha Flour Girl. Yes, I wonder if you are typing at his very moment. smile

I had three cocoas on hand but none were alkalized, so I will buy some soon, even if it costs more. Haven’t heard of Droste. 

I’ll get a scale and an oven thermometer, for sure.

My cake looked good in the pics but it didn’t look as good as Rose’s pic in her CB. I believe you are right about using a scale in order to get perfect results. I’ll have to practice weighing stuff so I get the hang of it. What fun!

What kind of flour sifter do you use? I was sifting it into a cup that was sitting in a bowl-it was kind of awkward. I kept resifting the flour that ended up in the bowl. hmmm—is there a better way? I guess I could/should google and figure it out for myself but if you could help me, that would be good. wink

Thanks!!

Posted: 22 October 2013 01:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 21 October 2013 10:20 PM

Haha Flour Girl. Yes, I wonder if you are typing at his very moment. smile

I had three cocoas on hand but none were alkalized, so I will buy some soon, even if it costs more. Haven’t heard of Droste. 

I’ll get a scale and an oven thermometer, for sure.

My cake looked good in the pics but it didn’t look as good as Rose’s pic in her CB. I believe you are right about using a scale in order to get perfect results. I’ll have to practice weighing stuff so I get the hang of it. What fun!

What kind of flour sifter do you use? I was sifting it into a cup that was sitting in a bowl-it was kind of awkward. I kept resifting the flour that ended up in the bowl. hmmm—is there a better way? I guess I could/should google and figure it out for myself but if you could help me, that would be good. wink

Thanks!!

Hi Abbey,

Ha! I probably would have been typing at the time you posted had my husband not have had a flat tire. I guess I was distracted a little LOL

I think a scale gives you a more professional result as opposed to a homemaker result. Rose recommended My Weigh KD8000 on her blog. I have it and like it. Several members have it too. I had an Escali and liked it just as much. King Arthur Flour sells scales as does Amazon.

Using Rose’s recipes, when you weigh your flour there is no need to sift unless specified in the directions. However, I sift when I use other author’s recipes. I have an 8-cup crank-handle sifter I bought when at Sur la Table; but, most of the time, I use a regular strainer and, using a whisk, I whisk the flour through the strainer onto wax paper or into a bowl. Previously I would tap the strainer with my hand but Fran Costigan, author of More Great Good Dairy-Free Desserts
Naturally, insists you use a strainer and a whisk in her book. I find her technique the easiest and most effective way to sift.

Which cake are you thinking of making next?

Posted: 22 October 2013 01:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 21 October 2013 10:03 PM

I use E. Guittard Cocoa Rouge—it’s fabulous.  You can get it at Sur La Table, and I think it’s very reasonably priced ($9.95 for a 8 oz can).

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-592352/E+Guittard+Cocoa+Rouge+Cocoa+Powder

I’m going to try this brand when I run out.

Posted: 22 October 2013 02:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
prettycake - 12 October 2013 06:56 PM

Hi Flour Girl,
If u want, when you go to the library,
Taste of Home Annual Recipes 2010 hard copy, page 298, you will see my recipe with my name on it, page title: Indulge in a Dessert Buffet..grin thought you would be interested.

I got my book today and immediately turned to your page. What a unique idea! My family would love your pops! The look so tempting!

When you submit a recipe, do they alter it in any way?

Thank you for sharing this with me!

Posted: 22 October 2013 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Morning everyone!

I have wanted a good reason to shop at Sur La Table and do believe their prices are very reasonable. Thanks for that.

Sifting on the parchment paper is the perfect solution. Gee, why didn’t I think of that?? Duh!! I used the strainer this time and liked it, but weighing the flour, instead of sifting, is ideal.

I’m reading the thread about the Karmel cake with interest, esp. since that was one cake that caught my eye, from the beginning.

Hope you got that flat tire fixed, Flour Girl.

Posted: 22 October 2013 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Good Morning!

Sur la Table is amazing. I didn’t know where to look first, that store is crammed with goodies!

I’m glad you liked the sifting method. When I make other recipes I always sift, whether in the instructions or not. I feel it helps me mix the dry ingredients together better. I don’t sift using Rose’s recipes. Her recipes are always perfect. The only time I remember sifting is when I made the Many-SplendidQuick Bread. After combining the wet ingredients in the mixer, the instructions are to sift the dry ingredients over the wet ingredients in the mixing bowl. This is the recipe my father-in-law wants to always eat in place of his raisin bread.

My husband wasn’t able to remove the spare. The way it is screwed-in made it unaccessible in the dark. He and our son will be working on that today. Thank you for asking!

Have a great day!

Posted: 22 October 2013 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Guittard cocoa rouge is also sold by King Arthur right now smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 23 October 2013 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  670
Joined  2012-01-12
Flour Girl - 22 October 2013 02:16 AM

Hi Flour Girl,
Taste of Home Annual Recipes 2010 hard copy, page 298, you will see my recipe with my name on it, page title: Indulge in a Dessert Buffet..grin thought you would be interested.

I got my book today and immediately turned to your page. What a unique idea! My family would love your pops! The look so tempting!

Thank u Flour Girl, glad you got your books. This book has everything from appetizers to desserts. TOH do not alter, unless it needs some small changes after they try it. They will make and taste each and every recipe submitted that gets their attention. The photo u see on that page is their version of the recipe I sent them. My photo looked different. They have their own taste/test kitchen and chefs.

Posted: 24 October 2013 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
prettycake - 23 October 2013 10:47 PM
Flour Girl - 22 October 2013 02:16 AM

Hi Flour Girl,

Thank u Flour Girl, glad you got your books. This book has everything from appetizers to desserts. TOH do not alter, unless it needs some small changes after they try it. They will make and taste each and every recipe submitted that gets their attention. The photo u see on that page is their version of the recipe I sent them. My photo looked different. They have their own taste/test kitchen and chefs.

There is a plethora of interesting recipes in that book. Most of which are right up my husband’s alley. He loves the food he grew-up on.

Is it similar to America’s Test Kitchen? I am unfamiliar with TOH. How does someone get their recipe in the book/magazine?

If you ever get the chance, I would love to see your version.

Posted: 24 October 2013 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hey Flour Girl,

I’ve been thinking about the Many-Splendid Quick Bread recipe and just got a chance to crack open the CB to take a look.  I could get used to having that around!!

I glanced at the recipe this morning but couldn’t find where it said to sift the flour into the batter??

Also, I know what you mean about shopping at Sur la Table. They seem to have a knack for brilliantly stocking their shelves with all kinds of goodies!!!!! I’ll try to get over there this weekend.

PS. I could tell you some funny stories (after the fact) about flat tires and spare tires. smile

Abbey

Posted: 25 October 2013 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 24 October 2013 11:44 AM

Hey Flour Girl,

I’ve been thinking about the Many-Splendid Quick Bread recipe and just got a chance to crack open the CB to take a look.  I could get used to having that around!!

I glanced at the recipe this morning but couldn’t find where it said to sift the flour into the batter??

Also, I know what you mean about shopping at Sur la Table. They seem to have a knack for brilliantly stocking their shelves with all kinds of goodies!!!!! I’ll try to get over there this weekend.

PS. I could tell you some funny stories (after the fact) about flat tires and spare tires. smile

Abbey

Hi Abbey,

Sorry I haven’t answered sooner. Busy day!

I just love to shop in stores like Sur La Table. Although I love to go to Williams Sonoma, it just doesn’t have a large selection and is less interesting to me.

You are right about the quick bread recipe. My mistake. Those instructions are for the next recipe in the book, the Banana Refrigerator Cake, which is also an oil cake. Another excellent recipe which is a regular in my house.

When I convert other author’s recipes from butter to oil cakes, I follow the mixing instructions used in the Banana Refrigerator Cake and sift the flour over the contents of the mixing bowl.

I just baked a cake by King Arthur Flour using those instructions . It is their Banana Crunch Cake in King Athur Flour Whole Grain Baking (page 66).  I substituted 92g of oil for 1 stick of butter. This is a really nice casual cake for snacking. Although I completely re-vamped the recipe, by using Rose’s technique it comes out nice and high and moist and delicious.

One day you have to tell me that story.  grin

6 of 10