7 of 10
Did Martha make a Mistake? Question on Leavening in Recipe
Posted: 25 October 2013 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2011-12-25

One day I will tell you that story, Sweet Flour Girl,

You never have to apologize to me about being busy. It seems I’m always trying to find the time to look here and chat. 

Williams Sonoma is right around the corner from Sur la Table, here, and I will visit that store, just to look at all their cool gadgets and drool over there beautiful pots and pan OMG!!, but Sur la Table is more my style. I have a really cool Sur la Table cookbook full of wonderful desserts. I’ll try to find a special one to share with you.

Well, I’m glad you tell me these things about converting butter to oil, because it helps me feel a little more confident about weighing out the ingredients. For some reason, I love the idea of sifting the flour into the batter, call me crazy! Re-vamping can be so much fun and that Banana Crunch Cake sounds delicious. I think you have mastered this converting butter to oil AND Rose’s technique. smile

Talk to you later and I hope you have a wonderful day.

Abbey

Posted: 25 October 2013 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1651
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 25 October 2013 08:51 AM

One day I will tell you that story, Sweet Flour Girl,

You never have to apologize to me about being busy. It seems I’m always trying to find the time to look here and chat. 

Williams Sonoma is right around the corner from Sur la Table, here, and I will visit that store, just to look at all their cool gadgets and drool over there beautiful pots and pan OMG!!, but Sur la Table is more my style. I have a really cool Sur la Table cookbook full of wonderful desserts. I’ll try to find a special one to share with you.

Well, I’m glad you tell me these things about converting butter to oil, because it helps me feel a little more confident about weighing out the ingredients. For some reason, I love the idea of sifting the flour into the batter, call me crazy! Re-vamping can be so much fun and that Banana Crunch Cake sounds delicious. I think you have mastered this converting butter to oil AND Rose’s technique. smile

Talk to you later and I hope you have a wonderful day.

Abbey

Good morning Abbey,

Thank you!

I agree, WS is more of a show place in comparison to SLT. Many of the baking items they carry are exclusive to their company. A few years ago I tried to buy the Heritage Bundt pan directly from Nordic Ware but they could not sell it to me because of the exclusive held by WS. That allows them to charge the prices they do. However, they will frequently have good sales if you are willing to wait.  I had to buy it from WS at full retail price. Ouch! On the other hand, SLT is a baker’s Disney World with immediate gratification. I like that.

Why are you intimidated by weighing? It is far easier to weigh than it is to meticulously measure.

I convert every recipe in volume to gram weight. I prefer grams to ounces. If a recipe is in ounces and it is a casual recipe, I’ll go with the ounces. But, in my opinion, grams are precision.

CharlesT explained how to convert butter to oil in recipes. You need to multiply by .81 because oil is 100% fat and butter is 81% fat. So, if you are measuring ounces you would multiply the number of ounces by .81. If you are measuring in grams you would multiply the number of grams by .81. I double and triple check the math on the calculator just ot be certain.

Have a great day too!

Posted: 25 October 2013 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

@ Abbey

Hi!

I agree with FG—once you weigh, you’ll never go back to measuring!  It’s so great to just be able to pour brown sugar into a bowl without having to pack it—or to pour corn syrup or honey without “gooking up” a measuring cup and trying to get it all out.  You will love it once you start!  Even simple stuff like flour and sugar—just pour it, with no mess of bits falling onto the counter from the measuring cup knocking against the side of the bag, etc.

Get that scale!  Flour is, to me, the only slightly confusing thing to convert, since there different measurements for cake, AP, dip & sweep, spoon & l evel, etc., and these aren’t always specified)  When I convert, I use 120g flour to 1c. flour for everything but cake flour (and then I just use a Rose recipe as a go-by).  This might not be everyone’s measurement, but I use 120 g. becuase it’s a middle-to-low average.  I’d rather have slightly less flour and a moister cake, rather than slightly more and a dryier one.

All other measurements are pretty straightforward.

@FG

Hey, FG! Do you, then, add 19% liquid to make up for the (now) missing water from the butter?  Just curious…

Posted: 25 October 2013 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 25 October 2013 11:38 AM

@ Abbey

Hi!

I agree with FG—once you weigh, you’ll never go back to measuring!  It’s so great to just be able to pour brown sugar into a bowl without having to pack it—or to pour corn syrup or honey without “gooking up” a measuring cup and trying to get it all out.  You will love it once you start!  Even simple stuff like flour and sugar—just pour it, with no mess of bits falling onto the counter from the measuring cup knocking against the side of the bag, etc.

Get that scale!  Flour is, to me, the only slightly confusing thing to convert, since there different measurements for cake, AP, dip & sweep, spoon & l evel, etc., and these aren’t always specified)  When I convert, I use 120g flour to 1c. flour for everything but cake flour (and then I just use a Rose recipe as a go-by).  This might not be everyone’s measurement, but I use 120 g. becuase it’s a middle-to-low average.  I’d rather have slightly less flour and a moister cake, rather than slightly more and a dryier one.

All other measurements are pretty straightforward.

@FG

Hey, FG! Do you, then, add 19% liquid to make up for the (now) missing water from the butter?  Just curious…

Hi Anne, No, I don’t add any fluid to the batter which is not in the original recipe. My results are always moist. I think oil cakes are more moist, in general, than are butter cakes. Also, the amount is so negligible. Perhaps if I baked in great quantity that would be something to consider.

As for flour, if an author does not indicate how flour is measured (usually in the beginning of the book where ingredients are discussed) I will assume dip and sweep was used. However, I am open minded to adjusting the flour if the need arises. So far, I have never had to use a different gram weight for dip and sweep.  I use Rose’s chart, TPPB page 2, as a reference for my conversions. The majority of my cookbooks list 140g of AP flour where gram weight in indicated. Also, do you remember I contacted the author of Baked? He gave me a weight of 139g. On Rose’s chart, AP flour measured by dip and sweep is listed at 142.

However, you and I bake different types of cake. I tend to make more quick breads and rustic cakes which do better, in my opinion, with a more substantial flour. That may be why I can use 140g and you can use 130g successfully. grin

Posted: 25 October 2013 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Indeedy!  I use 120g, BTW.  Yes, I agree—an oil cake will generally be moister-feeling/spongier than butter, so I think flour has a less drying effect.  My 120g protects mybutter cakes from the potential drying—or dry feel—of too much flour!!!!!  I dipped-and-sweeped 5 times and came out with a different weight than Rose’s each time, so I ended up settling for 120g as a safe measurement for a moist butter cake!  Thanks again for Baked’s measurement.  I find their cakes on the dry side, so I’ll use my 120g with theirs, as well—I love their combos and frostings, though!!  And their bars and cookies and scones and ...

Posted: 25 October 2013 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 25 October 2013 05:03 PM

I dipped-and-sweeped 5 times and came out with a different weight than Rose’s each time, so I ended up settling for 120g as a safe measurement for a moist butter cake!

That is the exact reason weighing is much more preferable!

Thanks again for Baked’s measurement.  I find their cakes on the dry side, so I’ll use my 120g with theirs, as well—I love their combos and frostings, though!!  And their bars and cookies and scones and ...

I’ve never baked their layer cakes. But their snack cakes are excellent. I have baked their Pumpkin loaf with chocolate chips many times. Really great! Yesterday I baked their Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake from Baked Explorations. I substituted the 1/2 cup butter for 92g oil and the 8oz of chocolate chips for 8oz raisins soaked in rum. I didn’t make the accompanying frosting. The cake is sweet all on its own. Yum! This is a good snack cake. Nothing fancy. Bakes in a 9x13 pan. This cake is in their breakfast chapter. I had my piece after dinner for dessert. But, it does use rolled oats 96g so I guess some will consider it breakfast. I didn’t post a picture of it because it tastes better than it looks but here it is (below).

The only cake I remember baking which turned out dry are the cakes in Fundamental Techniques of Classic Pastry Arts by The French Culinary Institute. I suggest using soaking syrup on those recipes.

Image Attachments
phpRGECLcPM.jpgphpx3NJBDPM.jpg

Posted: 27 October 2013 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

ak & FG—

Thanks for the help-I need it. smile

I bought a Zassenhaus scale yesterday. I meant to read up on scales, again, before buying one but just happened to see it while grocery shopping. I made sure it had the tare function and tested it - it was right on!

Flour Girl-your Oatmeal Chip Cake looks good to me. I bought a jelly roll pan “with a lid” so I’m thinking that type of cake would work in a pan like that?

Anne - You convinced me!! I’ve spent much time cleaning measuring cups smile     

Posted: 27 October 2013 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 27 October 2013 09:01 AM

ak & FG—

Thanks for the help-I need it. smile

I bought a Zassenhaus scale yesterday. I meant to read up on scales, again, before buying one but just happened to see it while grocery shopping. I made sure it had the tare function and tested it - it was right on!

Flour Girl-your Oatmeal Chip Cake looks good to me. I bought a jelly roll pan “with a lid” so I’m thinking that type of cake would work in a pan like that?

Anne - You convinced me!! I’ve spent much time cleaning measuring cups smile     

YAY!! I am happy for you! You will never go back to measuring by cups again!

The Oatmeal Cake is real good. The recipe calls for a 9 x 13 pan. I believe it needs a 2” side. You can also use two 8x8 pans or one 8x8 and halve the recipe. It works very well with an oil for butter substitute. This recipe is made without a mixer.

The originall recipe calls for chocolate chips. Since chocolate has cholesterol I opted for raisins. After I baked the cake I realized I had a bag of dried cherries in the cupboard. Yummmm, next time!

Posted: 27 October 2013 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I bought a Zassenhaus scale yesterday.

You will love having a scale!  What I do to make sure it is always working is this:  I weigh my most-used mixing bowls and write their weight on the bottom in a Sharpee marker.  It has two benefits:  (1) before I bake, I can check the weight to make sure the scale is still accurate and the batteries aren’t running out or causing it to give funky measurements; and (2) if I forget to tare the bowl, I know how much to subtract from the weight when I go to evenly divide cake batter into two pans.

chocolate has cholesterol

Hmmm.  Dark chocolate doesn’t have cholesterol unless there are other additives. For example, milk chocolate has a teeny bit, due to the addition of milk.

their snack cakes are excellent

Thank you for this tip!  Their snack cakes look very good, too!  Your cake looks very yummy.

Posted: 27 October 2013 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

I love cherries in oatmeal cookies, much more than chocolate, so I’m sure they would be perfect for the cake. I get requests to add chips to oatmeal cookies, but I just won’t do it. I add toffee bits and use the old-fashioned oats. I know most recipes call for instant, but the cookies aren’t as chewy.

The main reason for buying the pan, with the lid, is to make hauling it to work less difficult. We are having a food day tomorrow, so I’m trying to think up a new treat for everyone. I usually make the no-bake cookies, but instead of making individual cookies, I make one big square cookie, then cover it with cling wrap.

I was looking through the SLT cookbook for an idea. Maybe I will invent a recipe, just for the fun of it, and still use the conversions for oil. Yes, I loke the idea of using oil instead of butter. Thanks FG!!

Posted: 28 October 2013 01:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 27 October 2013 12:32 PM

Hmmm.  Dark chocolate doesn’t have cholesterol unless there are other additives. For example, milk chocolate has a teeny bit

Indirectly it does. Saturated fat is converted to cholesterol. An average serving of dark chocolate contains about 6g sat fat. That is about 1/3 the recommended allowance for women per day from all sources. Not a good way to spend your allowance.

I rarely have any chocolate. I do use cocoa though.

Posted: 28 October 2013 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 27 October 2013 12:36 PM

I love cherries in oatmeal cookies, much more than chocolate, so I’m sure they would be perfect for the cake. I get requests to add chips to oatmeal cookies, but I just won’t do it. I add toffee bits and use the old-fashioned oats. I know most recipes call for instant, but the cookies aren’t as chewy.

The main reason for buying the pan, with the lid, is to make hauling it to work less difficult. We are having a food day tomorrow, so I’m trying to think up a new treat for everyone. I usually make the no-bake cookies, but instead of making individual cookies, I make one big square cookie, then cover it with cling wrap.

I was looking through the SLT cookbook for an idea. Maybe I will invent a recipe, just for the fun of it, and still use the conversions for oil. Yes, I loke the idea of using oil instead of butter. Thanks FG!!

Hi Abbey,

Oatmeal cookies with dried cherries sounds great!

I like the idea of one big cookie. I think the pan you bought would be perfect for food day.

I recently started making a cookie cake baked in a cast iron pan. I would never have thought it would be a hit but it is.

I like inventing recipes too. I think the recipes in cookbooks should inspire the reader to expand on the author’s idea.

Let us know what you bring to work tomorrow cool smile

Posted: 29 October 2013 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flour Girl,

I’m interested in hearing more about the cookie cake baked in the cast iron pan. I assume it is a recipe using oil?

Now I’m the one apologizing for not getting back to you sooner. It has been crazy and I’m just catching up, but looking forward to hearing about your recent baking projects.

I haven’t used my jelly roll pan yet, but found a recipe for a pumpkin cake that will be perfect for work. We have food days all the time, which is always fun, but not so easy keeping a girlish figure!! smile

Abbey

Posted: 30 October 2013 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 29 October 2013 07:11 PM

Hi Flour Girl,

I’m interested in hearing more about the cookie cake baked in the cast iron pan. I assume it is a recipe using oil?

Now I’m the one apologizing for not getting back to you sooner. It has been crazy and I’m just catching up, but looking forward to hearing about your recent baking projects.

I haven’t used my jelly roll pan yet, but found a recipe for a pumpkin cake that will be perfect for work. We have food days all the time, which is always fun, but not so easy keeping a girlish figure!! smile

Abbey

Good Morning Abbey,

The Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake is not an oil cake. It requires 2 sticks of butter and an entire bag of chocolate chips. It is garnished with plain M&M’s. This is not a health food. I don’t eat it. It bakes in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. 

I recently bought several cast iron pieces. My local store offered cast iron at a 50% discount during a one-day sale.  I had been looking for a non-stick pan. Many merchants I spoke with recommended cast iron. I have 3 enameled pieces but I try to avoid using them because they are difficult to clean. I took their advice. I love the pans. I still don’t use them for eggs, other than Frittatas. But I bought a few books on the subject and really enjoy using them and trying rustic recipes.

Rose reviewed The Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook on her blog HERE

The Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake is from that book.

I baked a similar recipe from Flo Braker’s book, Baking For All Occasions. It also uses an entire bag of chocolate chips and 2 sticks of butter. In addition to the chips, walnuts and pecans are added. No M&M’s are used in the recipe but I don’t see why it cannot be added. The cake bakes in a 9x13 pan.

My all time favorite oil recipe is in Flo Braker’s book. It calls for 1 egg, buttermilk (which is low in cholesterol) and oil.  It is called the Any Day All-Occassion Snack Cake, page 66. Lots of options for add-ins are offered. I am actually baking this cake today. I am adding a chopped Golden Delicious Apple. I will post pictures later.

Have a great day!

Posted: 30 October 2013 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hello Flour Girl—

Golden Delicious Apple will be a nice addition, for sure. I like the way you bake-it has always been my goal to make, whatever I’m cooking, as healthy for the body as possible. It isn’t always possible but if you make an effort to add some kind of healthiness to it, it adds up. I just bought some flax meal that i’ll add to cookies or cornbread.

I have some beautiful cast iron pans I use for cornbread but could easily make a big cc cookie in. I bet the crust on that cookie would be scrumptious.

I can’t wait to see the pics…Oh, I bought some dried Buttermilk because it seemed like so many recipes called for buttermilk, and of course, didn’t have it. Do you think it is as good as the real thing?

I’ll check out Flo Braker’s book, thanks for that.

Have fun in the kitchen. I wish I were in a kitchen right now. smile

Later!!

7 of 10