Scale up Problems :s Please help
Posted: 29 August 2012 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-08-29

Hi there,

I was hoping that someone could help me.

I have to bake a leaving cake for a friend that is leaving the country on Friday, and I want to use my normal sponge recipe which is:

4oz (110g) butter
4oz (110g) caster sugar
2 large eggs
4oz (110g) self-raising flour
Which I bake at gas mark 3, (for those that don’t use a gas oven325F, 170C) for around about 20 - 30 minutes.

Generally I bake by eye and edit that mixture to suit what kind of cake I’m making which to date has never failed me yet. The problem I’ve got is that I’m making a bigger cake this time and using a 10inch spring-form round tin rather that my normal 7-8inch round tin. And for the life of me I just can’t work out how to scale up my ingredients, and I’m assuming the baking time will go up as well.

If someone could help me out with this i would be forever grateful to them

smile

Kara

Posted: 30 August 2012 12:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27

Kara:

There was a thread on this just a week or so ago:

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/4791/

But I’ll repost what I posted there.  You simply need to figure out how the pan volume of your 10 inch relates to the 8 inch pan.  You can use this table, assuming a 3 inch high pan:

Diameter   Height   Radius    Volume    Factor
8          3          4       150.8       1

7          3        3.5      115.45       0.77
8          3          4       150.8       1
10         3          5      235.62       1.56 

The factor you need is in the last column.  To move from an 8 inch pan to a 10 inch pan, you’d need to multiply your ingredients by 1.56.  In other words, you need a little over 50% more stuff.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 30 August 2012 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-08-29

Ahh Thanks that was helpful.

From what I understand from everyone (I asked arouns on other forums as well) who’s tried to advise is that I need around 1.5 times the mixture to scale up, as I don’t want the 3 inches of height for each layer. I’ll see how this goes and let you know, it sounds about right and has confirmed my natural instinct on the amounts of ingrediants.

I gave my general sponge recipie, which I chop and change around, what I’m actually making is a Chocolate coffee cake. Bitter dark chocolate layer on the bottom, a coffee butter cream as a filling, and then a Coffee cake layer, all covered in a chcoclate fudge butter cream, which I use to stick my fondant icing on and then decorated accordingly.  Hopfully it will work out as I have made this before and it was a raging success, everyone loved it and so it was requested. I’m a little bit worried about the ‘structural problems’ that could occur. I only really want my layers to be about 1.5 inches in height so I’m hoping that this will help with the structural issue.  *fingers crossed*

There is also a smaller 6 inch one layer chocolate cake on the top, so I guess I’m going for a 2 teir master piece.

I will post a link to a picture of the finished product, when I’m done.