Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois
Posted: 15 July 2008 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2008-04-10

Anybody get this new book yet? I think it’s based on the same principle as Suzanne Dunaway’s book: No Need to Knead. I want to buy it, but I just need someone to tell me they really like it, first.

Posted: 09 August 2008 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2008-06-11

This book and their technique is the BEST thing since sliced bread. Literally! I’ve keep a bread bucket in my fridge ever since I bought the book several months ago so can make a baguette or boule at a moment’s notice. My family absolutely loves it, plus it’s so much less expensive than buying artisan bread at the store. The book has lots of other recipes as well—I tried the bagels, and they were very good too. Truly, I can’t recommend the book highly enough. In fact, just recently I bought a copy and the various equipment needed as a wedding shower gift for a family member. Also, Zoe Francois, one of the authors, has a great blog, zoebakes.com.

Posted: 11 August 2008 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-29

How timely!
I bought the book yesterday!

I have a batch in the frig right now. If it doesn’t work I will probably take the book back, but it needs to work!

The directions are so simple I can’t understand why you would make bread any other way.

I’ll post again after my first loaf is served!

jen

Signature 

http://www.ellavanilla.com

Posted: 11 August 2008 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2008-06-11

Just be sure to sprinkle enough flour on the chunk of dough you cut off. That makes it a lot easier to handle and shape into a boule. Then just make the slashes in the dough VERY gently before you slide it into the oven. It will definitely work and you’ll love it! (By the way, I’d recommend checking the “Errors” page on their web site too. It has a list of typos in the book that can affect recipe outcomes.)

Posted: 11 August 2008 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2007-11-15

I have No Need to Knead and Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.  Both are very good, approachable books for beginners.  I love the focaccia from No Need and the European Artisan from 5 minutes.

Signature 

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

Posted: 12 August 2008 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-29

OK finished my first loaves.  they flattened out a bit so i think i need more flour.

problems, the crumb is very fine and the resulting bread is very dense. i was hoping for a more floury/light inside. the crust didn’t stay crusty tho i rested it on a rack.

jen

Signature 

Posted: 12 August 2008 05:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

I haven’t got this book but coincidentally I was on the eGullet website last night and there is a whole thread devoted to this book/bread!  The author , Zoe whatshername also contributes so that is the place to go if you ant problems!  Someone on there had the same problem of a danse , flat loaf and was given hints on how to overcome the problem.  I hope this helps,  just put eGUllet into Google and you should find it easily.

Posted: 12 August 2008 05:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

I should learn to check my spelling before I post, I meant DENSE, not danse,  Please excuse other mistakes for eagerness to help!! red face

Posted: 12 August 2008 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-29

jeanette, no one is going to criticise for spelling mistakes. heck, i never use caps, and neither does rose!!

jen

Signature 

Posted: 12 August 2008 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

If spelling or type-Os counted against us, I’d be in big trouble!  Did you guys know that you can “edit” your posts on the forum?  You have to be signed in to do it, but it works - I’ve fixed many mistakes after the fact by using the edit feature!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 14 August 2008 03:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2008-04-10
Amy A - 12 August 2008 12:39 AM

I have No Need to Knead and Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.  Both are very good, approachable books for beginners.  I love the focaccia from No Need and the European Artisan from 5 minutes.

Hey Amy,

Cool. I’ll have to try the focaccia from no need to knead. I’ve just ordered a baguette pan from amazon since she calls for that a lot. And I’ll be sure to try the european artisan just as soon as I receive the book in the mail. I love the concept. i can’t wait to try it. My no-knead bread turns out so good. If the recipes come out as good as the no-knead bread, then I’ll be baking everything from the book.

Posted: 28 November 2008 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2008-11-02

i tried the new york times recipe and…
it didn’t work :(
what turned out was like a thick sponge cake that was slowly turning into cement

Signature 

my awesome stuff on flickr….
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29655377@N06/sets/
check it out!