Protein Values in King Arthur Flour
Posted: 31 August 2012 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-08-31

I have used King Arthur pastry flour as recommended by Rose in the Pie and Pastry Bible for many years. In looking through the book recently, I happened upon the discussion of flour protein in King Arthur’s pastry flour. Rose says it is 9.2%.  I needed more pastry flour and was surprised to see that on its website, King Arthur pastry flour is listed as either 8% protein for its unbleached pastry flour or as 10.3% protein for its perfect pastry blend.  I am wondering if King Arthur changed the formulation at some point? Admittedly, I have been just re-ordering the pastry flour for years without paying attention to its protein content until now.

I have not noticed any difference in the pie crust I make, but I probably only make Roses’s Cream Cheese pie crust 7 or 8 times a year.
Any comments?  Thanks.

Posted: 06 September 2012 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Not sure what to say other than that most flours do have a range within which the protein level fluctuates, i.e., it may not be exactly the same from bag to bag or season to season.  Higher quality flours have narrower ranges.  I think that a query on the King Arthur site would be answered promptly, they are good about that.  You could also follow up with Rose/Woody directly by posing your question over on the blog section of this site.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 17 September 2012 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-09-17

Hi - We’ve changed the protein level in our pastry flour (8.0), in order to differentiate it more fully from our pastry blend (10.3%). We also offer Italian-style flour, which is a lovely, silky 8.5% protein. Hope this helps - thanks for baking with our good King Arthur Flours! PJ Hamel, KAF

Posted: 17 September 2012 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks for providing the update on protein contents, it is much appreciated! smile  Just re-purchased some of your Italian style flour, having the protein content will help me know just how to use it.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 30 December 2012 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-12-30

Rose recommends approx 9.2 g protein for pastry . So which of the new KA flours should I be using?

Posted: 14 January 2013 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2012-03-07
P.A.G. - 31 December 2012 12:51 AM

Rose recommends approx 9.2 g protein for pastry . So which of the new KA flours should I be using?

PAG, I am not qualified to answer your question, but you may find this ineresting: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/professional/Conventional-bakery-flours.html

Posted: 17 January 2013 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16
P.A.G. - 31 December 2012 12:51 AM

Sounds like they do not make a flour that matches Rose’s recommendation exactly.  You could try the 10% pastry blend mixed with some of the 8% pastry flour, or use wondra flour (in the canisters at the grocery), or use a national brand of bleached AP like Gold Medal, and mix it with cake flour according to the directions in the Pie/Pastry Bible.

Signature