Stabilized whipped cream anxiety
Posted: 10 September 2012 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2008-06-14

i’ve attempted to make stabilized whipped cream 3 times now failing miserably. the last attempt was the only successful one but it was for a measly cupcake and it took 3 tries. i made the cream with cornstarch since the first time i made the one with gelatin i just got strings of gelatin in regular whipped cream.

each time i would whip until the cream curdled. i don’t whip for very long but just when i think it’s coming together, wham! it’s curdled. so the last attempt i stopped right before i thought it was coming together and it worked!

now, i’m making a sheet cake for my son’s birthday in a few weeks and he wants whipped cream icing. is there anyway this can be easier? any tips?

Posted: 10 September 2012 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-09-06

Hi, Trolley!

If you’re planning to try corn starch again, It might just be a matter of watching your timing like you did last time (sounds like you did well on your final try).  Or, you might decide to do the last bit of whipping by hand instead of with an electric hand or stand mixer, which gives you a little more control and a better “feel” for the product in your bowl. 

If you want to try gelatin again, my only advice would be to make sure the gelatin dissolves completely and doesn’t start to set before you use it.  Also, you can try to temper the dissolved gelatin with a little bit of your cream before you add it in (just a little - no more than tablespoon or two).

Posted: 10 September 2012 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2008-06-14

I may just give into a product called Whip It and save the experiment for getting it right for another day. This for my son’s birthday cake and timing would be everything since he wants bananas in the middle with whipped cream. also lack of storage and everything else in between that can possible go wrong!

Posted: 10 September 2012 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-09-06

I don’t know anything about the whip It product but I totally understand timing anxiety!  smile

Good luck with the cake; it’s really nice that you’re making your son just what he wants for his special day!

Posted: 10 September 2012 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

I think you can overwhip with the whip it product—so it won’t help you that way either…and totally agree about the whipping by hand at the end—it helps.  Sometimes I whip small amounts by hand just for fun (and so I can justify eating the whipped cream!!).