Cupcakes peeling away from liners
Posted: 10 September 2012 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2010-01-24

I am getting to the point that I am so desperated and frustrated when I made cupcakes from Rose’s recipes. I don’t have problem to make big cakes, but I always fail when I make cupcakes from her recipes.
I use All-Occasion Downy Yellow Butter cake for vanilla, and Perfect all-american chocolate butter cake.
The size of cupcakes is what people call Midi size, I weight each cupcake is about 25 grams of batter.
I use convection oven, and the temp for baking cupcakes is 325.
Cupcakes rise beautifully in the oven, but right after I take them out to the cupcake pan, they started to shrink and peel off the liners.

What wrong do I do? What kind of cupcake liners do you use? If you make perfect cupcakes from Rose’s recipe, please share your experience. I have about 150 cupcakes to make for the wedding in October, and I am so nervous now.
Thanks for taking your time to answer my question.

These are the cupake liner that I use:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/75862751/new-midi-size-brown-cupcake-liners-75

Posted: 10 September 2012 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Bean!

I cannot help you, as I am not a cupcake maker, but I can tell you that you are not alone in your angst.  There are many posts here such as yours…hopefully, someone has finally gotten to the bottom of it and has a solution for you!!

—ak

Posted: 10 September 2012 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

The only cupcakes from Rose that I have had shrink away from the liner is the domingo.  If you feel up to trying a test bake, you might check two things:  first, use pans that are silver (not dark), and second, take the internal temp with an instant read thermometer, it should just be hitting 190F as you pull them out.  Being so small, cupcakes overbake very quickly and that could be one reason for a little extra shrinking.

If those don’t solve the problem, Bill reports that using the creaming method (still Rose’s recipe, just with a different mixing method) seems to help.  You can search his posts for plenty of moral support smile

I fill my cupcakes full enough that they rise up just a little past the rim of the baking paper, so they flow over the top of the paper and sort of “grab on”.  They don’t normally go past the paper onto the pan.

Hope something there is helpful.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 10 September 2012 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2008-09-27

If the creaming method really does prevent this, I wonder if the fundamental cause is the more tender product of the two stage method?  I presume that the liner has a thin film of cake firmly attached to it after it separates?

If so, more thorough mixing of the batter might accomplish the same thing, or using all purpose flour rather than cake flour.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 11 September 2012 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-07-04

Often this is a result of underbaking.  Also, do you remove them from the pans right away?

Posted: 12 September 2012 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2010-01-24

I bake cupcakes about 15 minutes. Yes, I removed them from the pans right away. I will try the creaming method today and take picture of my cupcakes to post here.
Thanks.

Posted: 15 September 2012 01:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-09-15

Believe it or not, the liner might be at fault. I used to have this problem with liners that claimed to be “greaseproof” so I switched to foil liners or glassine liners for my minis and the problem went away. I would have problems with both minis and standards.  I would especially have a problem with the Viking brand of liners so I stopped buying those.  now I buy CK cupcake liners and those don’t peel away.  Good luck.

Posted: 16 September 2012 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

Also try to spread out the batter into the cupcake liners.  Rose’s batter is pretty thick and doesn’t really pour into the liner.  Use a spatula or the back of a spoon to push the batter into all the nooks and crannies of the liner.

Posted: 11 October 2012 02:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2010-01-18

I’m also experiencing this problem regularly - especially with Rose’s recipes. :( Mostly use the White Velvet Butter Cake and last time found the problem most pronounced when baking til just barely done. I am in Canada at 3000 ft altitude too… and am also finding that Rose’s cakes are delicious the day they are baked but tend to become dry on me soon after that. I too am wondering if it’s the extreme richness of the high-ratio cakes that causes them to pull away from the liners. Its worse with the “non-tick” type. Let me know how the Bakers Confections liners work. I am getting pretty frustrated with cupcakes too, and doing them for weddings is sooo stressful with all these problems!

Posted: 05 February 2013 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-02-05

I have made her cupcakes with the All occasion butter cake and they came out great, I use the reynolds cupcakes liners, cooked the same temperature as for cake, and checked it in fifteen minutes, if not ready, cooked it a little longer.

Posted: 05 February 2013 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-02-05
bean2002 - 10 September 2012 03:27 PM

I am getting to the point that I am so desperated and frustrated when I made cupcakes from Rose’s recipes. I don’t have problem to make big cakes, but I always fail when I make cupcakes from her recipes.
I use All-Occasion Downy Yellow Butter cake for vanilla, and Perfect all-american chocolate butter cake.
The size of cupcakes is what people call Midi size, I weight each cupcake is about 25 grams of batter.
I use convection oven, and the temp for baking cupcakes is 325.
Cupcakes rise beautifully in the oven, but right after I take them out to the cupcake pan, they started to shrink and peel off the liners.

What wrong do I do? What kind of cupcake liners do you use? If you make perfect cupcakes from Rose’s recipe, please share your experience. I have about 150 cupcakes to make for the wedding in October, and I am so nervous now.
Thanks for taking your time to answer my question.

These are the cupake liner that I use:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/75862751/new-midi-size-brown-cupcake-liners-75

As long as you cook the cupcakes for less time, check after fifteen minutes, it should come out fine, I cook her All occasion butter cake as cupcakes all the time, as I said, use Reynolds cupcake liners, they work great!

Posted: 06 February 2013 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

Hi bean2002,

Sorry to hear about your frustrations with the liners. I recently made a batch of cupcakes with the leftover batter from the Perfect All-American Chocolate butter cake and had no problems with the liners peeling. What I did was use an ice cream scoop to measure out the batter and then once all the batter was in the lined wells, I just tapped the pan on the counter a few times to get the batter to spread evenly. Then I baked for about 20-25 minutes, then let them cool in the pan for ten minutes before removing them. Also, I used Betty Crocker liners. Good luck and I hope you get this worked out.

- MP smile

Posted: 06 February 2013 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  609
Joined  2012-01-12

It is the liners. I have those liners. They are almost like parchment. Try another type of liner and see if the same thing happens. If it does, then it is the recipe. grin