Old eggs in meringues
Posted: 20 September 2012 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-09-20

Hi all.

I was just reminded by Rafemama’s ‘french meringue’ post about something meringue-related I’ve always wondered:

Why did my mother teach me only to use older eggs for meringues? Apparently new eggs aren’t suitable, although I’ve never tried to find out why.

Any ideas?

Signature 

“Music is the food of love”... but hang on, that doesn’t give food much credit. Wouldn’t be much love without food, would there!

Posted: 22 September 2012 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2008-09-27

Aged egg whites are recommended for macaroons because they are supposedly more stable.  I don’t recall seeing aging recommended for other types of meringue, so I have a hard time believing it’s very important.  Perhaps it only matters if you have access to very fresh eggs.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 22 September 2012 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  592
Joined  2007-11-27

As whites age, they “loosen” and are easier to whip.  Think about it as an elastic band that, when new, is very tight, and “springy.”  As it gets older, it becomes stretchier.  (it’s the loosening of the protein molecules that makes it stretchy.)  Stretchier whites whip faster, and incorporate better in macaron batter.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)