Sunken Cake Center in 9 x 13 Pan
Posted: 25 September 2012 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-09-25

I have a cake recipe that results in a minor sunken area in the center of its 9 x 13 pan. It has great flavor and crumb and the center is level and a cake tester comes out clean when I remove it from the oven. I bake it for 70 minutes at 325 degrees F on an unglazed 13 x 13 garden tile using a moistened magic cake strip. I use 2.25 teaspoons of baking powder.

I could use some help on how to resolve the problem. Here is what I know:

Baking the cake longer results in unacceptable browning and drying out of the cake’s perimeter.

Over beating the batter eliminates the sunken center but makes the cake breadier due to increased developed gluten.

My choices are:

1. Lower the temperature to 300 degrees F and bake the cake longer hoping that it will not brown or dry out.

2. Increase the baking powder to 2.5 teaspoons and leave time and temperature unchanged.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

—Mache

Posted: 25 September 2012 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, mache!

Welcome!

I would suggest decreasing (not increasing) the baking powder by 1/4 tsp.  Baking powder weakens the structure, so more of it will make it weaker, whereas less of it should make the cake a little stronger.  1/4 tsp is a guess on my part, but I know that going from a 8” pan to a 9” pan, you decrease by 1/8, and since a 13 x 9 x 2 is equal to two 9” pans, I guessed 1/4 tsp. But, truly, as to quantity—your guess is as good as mine!!!

—ak