Cream filled crumb cake
Posted: 27 September 2012 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-09-27

Heres my question: My wife makes an incredible crumb cake. We would like to take that crumb cake and cream fill it. Dilema: How do you slice the cake in half and maneuver the top and bottom without flipping the top or breaking the bottom - dont want to loose the crumbs either.. the size is 9x13. Also.. anyone know a good (but easy) custard recipe? Thanks!!

Posted: 27 September 2012 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Dave!

Welcome!

Incredible crumb cake.  Happy words, indeed!

How about making a bottom layer with no crumbs, then sandwiching the “real” crumb cake onto the “crumb-less” cake with the custard?

Rose has lots of yummy custards.  Might be one here in the recipe section—at least one of her books is likely to be in your local library, too. 

Let us know how your cream filled crumb cake, however you ultimately go about it, comes out!!

—ak

Posted: 27 September 2012 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27
davemc - 28 September 2012 01:17 AM

Heres my question: My wife makes an incredible crumb cake. We would like to take that crumb cake and cream fill it. Dilema: How do you slice the cake in half and maneuver the top and bottom without flipping the top or breaking the bottom - dont want to loose the crumbs either.. the size is 9x13.

This is very easy. Slice the cake horizontally with a bread knife and then slide the thin, metal bottom of a springform pan between the layers and lift.  They also make cake lifters designed for the task.

This may work for the 9x13 cake, if it’s sufficiently stiff, but you probably need something wider to adequately support the layer.  A cookie sheet, perhaps.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 28 September 2012 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

It might also help to chill the cake before torting it.  Cardboard covered with plastic wrap or foil can work as a cake support, too.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour