2 of 2
Follow-up Sourdough Question…
Posted: 27 July 2008 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-07-23

I haven’t tried to bake bread again….yet.  Have to wait until my next days off from work but I kept on with the 12 hour feedings using KA all-purpose flour and the bottled water and it finally not only doubled but actually ran out of the quart jar and onto the bottom of my oven (it took 14 days after beginning my starter).  So I would say - don’t give up!  I think some just take longer to reach their full potential.

Posted: 28 July 2008 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2008-07-18

Thanks, WM. Joiner

Actually, up to a few days ago, I’ve been using bottled spring water, and then switched to a Brita filter (with the counter-top container).
I’ll give the Brita a few more days along with the organic flour and will try the distilled water if there’s no progress.

Posted: 28 July 2008 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-18

lesanne17,

I was tempted, a few times during the past week, to feed it every 12 hours instead of every 24 hours as I’ve been doing, however, thought it best to stay on The Bread Bible’s recommended 24 hour cycle.
But hearing of your spectacular results, I’ll definitely give the 12 hour feeding cycle a try if nothing happens by the end of this week.
Since it is the middle of the summer, the starter may have been over-fermenting between feedings.

Thanks a Bunch

Posted: 02 August 2008 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-18

IT’S ALIVE!!!!

Finally!!!!

After changing over to organic bread flour and following lesanne17’s lead of feeding the culture every 12 hours, instead of every 24 hours over the past 5 days, it almost quadrupled in size.

Now, I can start baking!

Thanks again everyone!!

Posted: 02 August 2008 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Congratulations!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 02 August 2008 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-23

Yes! Congratulations!
I have baked bread twice since my last post….the first one was barely ok….it rose fair.  I don’t think I kneaded it enough -abt 10 min. Should I have kneaded it longer? (I don’t have a bread mixer so it’s by hand) Meanwhile my KA starter came so I got it going and tried a loaf with it…it rose quite a bit more than the one from the starter I began.  I baked it in my dutch oven after 2 rises. I think my dutch oven is a 7 qt -  is that too big? I did a cold start oven to 450 for 35 min.
I think I will try regular bread pans tomorrow. 
Thank you for any advice!

Posted: 02 August 2008 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-23

PS: When I was researching sourdough on the internet to see what I could do to improve the “wild” yeast in my homemade starter I came across the advice that you can even feed the starter every 8 hours - I’ve done that a couple of times and it did in deed improve the rising ability of the starter (in the jar). 
I was also wondering since the homemade starter that I began (I call it Lulu) is so young (started 7/10) should I keep it out for several months before storing it in the frig?  I have seen varied tips regarding that. I’m also kind of confused as to when to actually make the bread when to starter is rising - after it doubles in size or after a certain set # of hours?  Thanks for all advice!

Posted: 04 August 2008 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-18

lesanne17,

Since I lent my Bread Bible book to a relative until next week, I can only suggest that you refer to the book for your questions about rising times, baking in a
dutch oven, oven temperature, etc. It’s a fairly involved process from what I remember, but much simpler using the book’s concise instructions.
The only thing I can tell you about storing your homemade starter at room temp for several months is that you would have to feed it every day if you did that.
Of course, refer to the book to see if it’s necessary to keep it at room temp in the first place. I’m sure refrigeration with less feedings would be recommended.

I still can’t get over the beauty of having a fully active starter!
Next week, when I get my Bread Bible back, I’ll be referring to Rose’s instructions on expanding the starter in order to make sourdough pizza.

Best of luck and thanks again!

2 of 2

‹‹ sourdough question      Sourer Sourdough ››