Bread texture issues - please help!
Posted: 02 October 2012 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-10-02

I have only recently started making my own bread, and so far I’ve just stuck to plain white loaves made by hand (i.e. not with a mixer).

I’m only using a very basic flour-water-yeast-sugar-salt recipe while I get the hang of things.

I’m happy with the shape and flavour I’m getting, and the rise seems OK, but the texture of the finished bread is quite disappointing - rather spongy (not like cake sponge, like a bathroom sponge!) and not at all fluffy inside.

What is the most likely factor that could be causing this? I would really appreciate any help.

thanks!

Patrick

Posted: 03 October 2012 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

If you could post your recipe amounts, that might help.

I’m not sure if your sponginess is too much gluten (are you using bread flour?) or if it’s too little kneading and structure (how long are you kneading, do you autolyse or retard, do you perform stretch and folds?).

Have you checked for a gluten window at the end of kneading?

Could also be a dough that is too dry or too wet- a little extra water in the dough can produce a more open crumb, but only if sufficient structure is in place.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 03 October 2012 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2008-09-27
ArtisanalNovice - 02 October 2012 10:18 PM

but the texture of the finished bread is quite disappointing - rather spongy (not like cake sponge, like a bathroom sponge!) and not at all fluffy inside.

I’m not really sure what “spongy” means.  Do you mean tough? dry? dense?

Also, if you’re comparing your results to the white bread from the store, you’re not likely to get that without some kind of fat in the bread.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 03 October 2012 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-05-17
ArtisanalNovice - 02 October 2012 10:18 PM

I’m only using a very basic flour-water-yeast-sugar-salt recipe while I get the hang of things.

I’m happy with the shape and flavour I’m getting, and the rise seems OK, but the texture of the finished bread is quite disappointing - rather spongy (not like cake sponge, like a bathroom sponge!) and not at all fluffy inside.

Patrick, I’m a newbie to baking breads myself. I’ve been ‘experimenting’ for over a year now.
If your bread is fully risen, but not fluffy inside, it may be because of over-proofing.
(What’s “over-proofing” you ask)

It’s when you allow too much time for rising.
OR when the bread needs too much time to rise fully.
You may be getting the correct size, but if it takes 3 hours to get there, the resulting characteristics of the crumb (inside the loaf) is messed up.
Over-proofing results in air holes that are larger and the bread is kind-of tough.
The desired flavors might be okay, but the feel and texture are disappointing.
One possible problem (and remedy) is the yeast may be a tad old.

Others have mentioned some kind of fat (lard, veggie oil, butter).
Your one-liner recipe does not mention any fat, although you may have actually used it.
Not trying to BASH you! Just asking for more complete info.
As suggested, list the recipe, including oven temp and time.

Help us to help you, and we’ll all learn.

Posted: 06 October 2012 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2010-11-15

Maybe your dough is too wet and not kneaded enough.
Can you post pictures of the bread?