questions about silk meringue buttercream
Posted: 16 October 2012 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2012-10-14

Hello, I’m new here on this forum. I enjoyed Rose’s book “heavenly cakes’ so much!
Now I have 2 questions about Silk Meringue Buttercream. I tried to find the answer on the forum, but couldn’t find it yet. Hope I don’t ask a questions what has been asked before..

How long can this buttercream last in de frigde and how long on a shelf? Because the creme Anglaise in it, is the weakest link for the durationtime. I was plannig 2 frigdecakes, with the same batch of buttercream and hoped that the bc would last in the frigde for at least 2 days for the second cake. How long would it be good outside the fridge for showing?

Is the bc firm enough so it can be used as a frosting under fondant / marzipan? I usually put the frosted cake in the fridge to firm up, before I put the marzipan on, but it still requests a firm buttercream.

edit:
uhmm… for some reason this post ended up in an other forumpart than I thought. Sorry!! Don’t know my way here yet. Should this be removed?

Posted: 16 October 2012 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Welcome!

According to guidelines in the Cake Bible, silk meringue buttercream lasts 6 hours at room temp, 7 days refrigerated and 8 months frozen.

Not sure about fondant, I don’t use it.  Hopefully others who do will chime in!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 16 October 2012 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-14

Thanks for your answer Julie!
I just asked for the book ‘cakebible’ for my birthday next week, hope someone might give this as a present. I understood that is has much more information like this on storage. Can’t wait!

Posted: 18 October 2012 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

I have used it many times under fondant.  I just chill the crumb coated cake before I apply the fondant.

Posted: 19 October 2012 03:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-14
moderncake - 18 October 2012 07:52 PM

I have used it many times under fondant.  I just chill the crumb coated cake before I apply the fondant.

Thanks moderncake. I started to get uneasy just trying it out (although it is just a home cake) , but now I will give it a go today.

Posted: 23 October 2012 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-14

The cake turned out wonderful. The SMBC was quite soft, but it had enough butter to firm up in the frigde to get a smooth surface. The taste was dilliscous! Thanks guys!

Ending up in this site of the forum I’ll show the first cake: for my own little one, who turned 2. Marzipan made with natural food coloring. Raspberry filling and frosted in yeh (!) silk meringue buttercream

Posted: 26 October 2012 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Great looking cake, you do wonderful work!  Glad the silk meringue worked out smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 21 January 2013 04:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-14

I am sorry, the cake has no icing. It is covered in marzipan. It looks shiny bacause it came out of the fridge and I remember not all the condensation was evaporated yet when I took the picture.

‹‹ Autumn Pies      How to make rose macarons ››