Lower % chocolate for RHC moist chocolate raspberry genoise?
Posted: 27 October 2012 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2012-10-14

I am planning to make the ‘moist chocolate raspberry g?noise’ from RHC. The picture looks to good not to make it wink
Earlier I bought a lot of chocolate, a nice belgium chocolate, but now I saw that the recipe askes for 60-62% of chocolate for the genoise as well as for the raspberry ganache. What will happen when I put my 46% chocolate in there? Will the ganache be firm enough, or can I expect a problem? The ganache askes for some white chocolate as well.. could I substitute if with my 46% dark chocolate to gain the same result?

Posted: 27 October 2012 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

For the cake, it will be milder and sweeter with the 46% chocolate but should still work as intended.  If you want to compensate, you can sub a little cocoa powder for a small amount of the 46% chocolate by weight, calculating the amount so that the grams of cacao mass and sugar come out about right. 

For the ganache, same thing: milder and sweeter if you use the straight 46%, or sub a little cocoa powder as above.

Sounds like a nice project, hope you’ll post a picture!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 27 October 2012 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

I use a 50% dark chocolate and it works fine.  I find it a little thicker than the dark chocolate ganache and it sets up really quick.

Posted: 29 October 2012 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2012-10-14

So I tried.. Did not work out the way I had in mind:-(  Only at the end of making my ganache I realised my scale was defect. Too late.. I was a bit tired en was weighing the cream. I had a cup of 250 ml cream and used my scale to get 232 gram.  Put the ful 250 ml into it, still no 232 gram.. With my dull brain I just thought ‘Hey, strange,  this cream is so much lighter than water, never realised that it takes so much cream to get to 232.”  Yes, need some sleep…. And then added to much raspberrysauce as well.
Then finally some light shone trough and realised it was the scale.. “@*&^$(*)^%”  Too late.
Let it firm up overnight and it was indeed too thin the next morning.

Used it anyway, but I couldn’t get my cake covered in a smooth way, even when refrigderated. The cake ended up looking very ‘home-made’ (understatement).

Anyway. The taste was excellent. Really really good. First time to make a g?noise, turned out nice as well, needs some more practice to get the best bakingtime/ temperature. The combination of the cake was heaven in cake. The layers looked very pretty, even with the thin ganache. 

Then the good news: I was given the Cake Bible book this weekend! So happy!
Then the strange thing; I saw the raspberry ganache recipe is in this book as well, but there it says a different % chocolate. Max 53 %, in stead of the 60-62 in RHC???  So according to CB I had the right % after all. ????