What frosting to use with fondant toppers
Posted: 02 November 2012 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-11-02

Hello,
I have gone through all the buttercream recipes from the cake bible.
I usually place the fondant toppers on top of cakes frosted with the buttercream made using butter and icing sugar. So the fondants are just safe and do not change shape and texture.
But I dont like the flavour of such buttercream they are way too sweet to eat with the cakes.
Can anyone tell me what frosting from the bible can be used so the fondant toppers are safe for few hours say 4 to 6 hours.
Thanks in Advance…

Posted: 02 November 2012 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  592
Joined  2007-11-27

I would make a small placque from gum paste or fondant and let it dry; use whatever shape will let your figures sit on it with a little room to spare.  This way, you can use whatever your favorite frosting is and your figures are protected from direct contact with it.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 03 November 2012 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-11-02

Thanks. Thats like a great idea. I thot of it too. But was wondering if the base we prepare will start sagging into the frosting and would that disturb the topper?

Posted: 05 November 2012 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

I would also make a fondant/gumpaste mix plaque ahead of time and let it dry.  You can then put a dowel in the bottom of your topper and then through the plaque and then into the cake.  That way, it is secure into the cake but not coming into contact with the cake.