Lemon Cake with Honey Pistachio Frosting
Posted: 13 November 2012 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

I think this is one of my favorite cakes yet!!!

The cake part is Rose’s All Occasion Downy Yelllow Butter Cake with the zest of 3 lemons whirred into the sugar.  You could use any yellow cake, I’m sure—the key is the zest/sugar whir.  The final cake was so permeated with lemon aroma and flavor, it was amazing.  I wasn’t sure if it would taste like a true lemon cake using only zest, but it did.  It was a Lemon Cake—very delicious—needed no oil.  Thanks to everyone who helped me here with their suggestions!

The frosting is some leftover of Rose’s “plain” mousseline, to which I added pistachio butter, butter and raw honey.  I “lightened” it with a cup of milk thickened with 1/4 c. flour, which I allowed to completely cool before beating into the frosting.  It’s incredible how “whippy dippy” this made the frosting—almost like whipped cream in lightness and texture.  Everyone commented on how light it was, evern though, in reality, it was very heavy—it just had the illusion of lightness because of the milk/flour stuff.

Image Attachments
photo 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto.jpg

Posted: 14 November 2012 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4822
Joined  2008-04-16

Anne, it looks amazing- lemon is one of my favorite flavors, and pistachio-honey-milk frosting sounds like a perfect complement.  Must find time to try your flour/milk technique, it sounds like something I would like smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 14 November 2012 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1615
Joined  2011-02-17

It looks scrumptious! It looks so moist. Really yummy-looking.

Posted: 15 November 2012 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, ladies!  It was, indeed, very yummy.

Julie, I usually make, somewhat randomly, about 1-1/2 cups of milk worth of the milk stuff, and then add as much as I want to the frosting.  It’s okay if there’s a few lumps, they somehow disappear in the frosting, although Wondra keeps them down considerably.  Obviously, make sure it’s not at all warm when you add it, so you don’t melt the frosting!  I think you’d love it if you try it—you can use it in any type of buttercream.  Lots of frostings are based on it—google “Flour frosting.”

Posted: 16 November 2012 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

It looks yummy, well done Anne!

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 30 November 2012 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2012-10-06

Sounds very delicious. It looks moist and soft. Good job smile

Signature 

Booya! Like what you smell?
See my baking blog on cupcakes and macarons!!