cake batter related.
Posted: 14 November 2012 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2012-11-12

How much cake batter should I put in a 8 inch(20cm) cake tin (as in, how high). I intend to bake a chocolate cake. I have a recipe based on tablespoon of flour, I would also like to know, how many grams or tablespoons of flour will be required for an 8 in cake tin.

Please help!
Thanks smile

Posted: 14 November 2012 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

Hi Priyanka!
Hmm, it depends on the recipe- some recipes require you to fill the pan 1/2 way up, some 2/3 and some 3/4 or even all the way!
Basically, an 8 inch cake tin contains 4 cups.
What is the original recipe’s pan? I always find it easier to convert cake sizes [or- how much does the original recipe specify to fill the pan? if it’s halfway, then you will need 2 cups etc..].

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 14 November 2012 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1357
Joined  2008-09-27

As McBrownie says, it depends on the recipe, but I think 1/2 the height of the pan is probably a good first guess.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 15 November 2012 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-11-12

Hi McBrownie! nice screen name LOL any chance inspired by McSteamy? smile

This is really embarrassing! red face I am new to baking oh oh and I just purchased one 8 inch pan to bake a chocolate birthday cake. I used to bake a basic chocolate cake in the microwave before.. I used Nigella Lawson’s Mug Cake recipe by doubling the ingredients. Now, I wish to use this very recipe for baking the birthday since I trust it a lot and that is the only recipe that I have ever baked! My cupcakes too use the same recipe. One set of mug cake consisted of 4 tbsp of flour and 2 tbsp of cocoa powder and one tsp baking powder n one egg n milk. For 12 muffins I multipled the quantity to 12 tbsp of flour and so on.. 

The thing is that there is this trend of Chocolate-Oil cakes lately which dont appeal to my mom at all..she says “why oil when butter! big surprise ” lol
tongue laugh (just a shortened version of a debate!). Other than that since I used salted butter whilst baking (since it is very difficult to attain unsalted butter.. it is available..but it is called Nutrilite..it says that they have the least amount of salt and recommended it for baking…but it scares me to use that butter and then add the tspn of salt given in the recipe. I also worry about the recipes that have bi-carbonated soda.. I once used it in my mug cake recipe and the cake turned out bitter! sick Since then.. I always steered clear from it..and just increased the proportion of baking soda slightly. And a lot of chocolate cake recipes have coffee in it too. Hence.. couldn’t really find a tested recipe.. which has butter, no coffee, no bi carb soda for an 8 inch tin. All the recipes called for two 8 inch tins. It is really tough to halve the recipes when something of 1/4 is to be halved! I also like the idea of baking two layers (since I have one 8 inch tin..have to do it one after another) but wanted to know how high should I fill the tin.. and how many tbsps. 

would love it if you could recommend me a chocolate cake recipe! I dont want the cake to be too big just as big as an 8 inch tin. smile

Thanks a lot McBrownie for your response! smile

Hi Charles! smile

I agree with you.. I too instinctively felt that I should fill it half way and if it doesn’t rise as much..then i’ll bake another batch and make a layer cake.

This is my first time baking a birthday cake! Im so!! nervous!!  oh oh

Thanks a lot Charles! smile

Posted: 17 November 2012 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

Actually it wasn’t smile
Hmm, as a rough guideline, one 8-inch cake pan makes 12 cupcakes. So if you want to make that mug-cake as an 8 inch-cake, just use the quantity you have used for the 12 muffins!
Tough I’m not sure how well it will bake in a cake pan..

If you measure carefully and read the recipe correctly, then you shouldn’t worry about baking! I reckon the reason for the bitter taste is that the bicarb didn’t mix well in the batter. be sure to mix the dry ingredient first well [that’s what most of the recipes specify, preferably with a whisk.

Do you have any of rose’s books? Do you have a scale and/or measuring spoon? Rose’s recipes are excellent- just be sure to follow them exactly. Let the recipe guide you!

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 17 November 2012 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-11-12

8 inch 12 cupcakes! I’ll keep that in mind!

Really? I hope i’ll use bi carb some day smile

No..I dont have any of Rose’s books as of yet! Yep..I have a scale and 3 sets of measuring spoons smile and one set of cup measure too smile

I was thinking..instead of making one 8 inch cake..i will go through the pain (maybe smile ) and bake a minimum of two layers and make a layer cake..

thanks for all…......your tips, McBrownie! smile

Posted: 19 November 2012 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-11-19

I’ve gathered together a lot of guides and conversion calculators here in my mission to subtract (sorry smile) the maths from baking:

http://sugarandcrumbs.com/wheretostart

Hope that helps. smile