My polenta bread
Posted: 14 November 2012 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

I thought it was time I revisited this recipe. Rose talked recently about using the food processor for bread mixing. I have ignored the food processor for years because I was focused on rustic breads and I considered the results inferior. After reading Rose’s comments I have been experimenting with the machine and it does produce some remarkable results. I especially like to start the dough in the food processor because it seems to achieve much better hydration. Here are the results of my latest efforts.

Polenta Bread Recipe
200 g yukon gold potato peeled and cut into @1” cubes.
In small sauce pan combine potato and 1 cup water.
Bring to boil, cover, and simmer 20 mins.

100 g polenta
In small sauce pan combine polenta and 1 cup water.
Bring to boil, cover, and simmer 20 mins.

In food processor combine the cooked potato with
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp salt
200 g all purpose unbleached flour
1 egg yolk
1 pkg yeast
Process until smooth then add 1/2 cup grapeseed oil slowly with machine running.
Add polenta and process to distribute the polenta.
Add 200 g all purpose unbleached flour 1 cup at a time until dough ball forms.

Dough will be sticky. Scrape dough into large mixing bowl and knead by hand in bowl adding 200 g more all purpose unbleached flour about 1 cup at a time.
Let dough rise to double twice.
Divide dough in half for final rise in 5x9 bread pans.
This dough remains very sticky throughout it’s life. Use a scraper to gently deflate between rises. The final shaping is best done with wet hands. Make sure the bread pans are well greased.
Bake 350 until loaf reads 205 @ 40 minutes.

Image Attachments
DSCN1215.jpgDSCN1217.jpg
 Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 15 November 2012 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Wow, Gene, that looks amazing!  The crumb is so glossy- when I first glanced at it I thought it had melted butter on it because of the shine!  With potatoes, buttermilk, polenta and oil it sounds like an amazing flavor and super-tender texture.  Must get this on my “to-bake” list.

So glad to hear you are having good results with the food processor.  I must confess to being somewhat food processor-challenged, I never seem to get the right degree of gluten development when I use it.  Perhaps I just need to be a bit more systematic and do a series of trial runs.

Have you ever used the FP for sourdough?  I wonder how the delicate microbes would react to all that vigorous cutting and slashing.  I think the LAB don’t like to be tossed around too much, which could make it great for breads where limiting acid is a goal… so many test bakes, so little time smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 15 November 2012 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

It looks fabulous. I’ve got to try that recipe.

Posted: 15 November 2012 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-11-23

Oh, I agree. That is truly beautiful…

Posted: 15 November 2012 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

Ditto! Beautiful!

Posted: 15 November 2012 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

Thank you all. I am perhaps inordinately proud of this recipe I would really love to know if others can reproduce it and like it as much as I do. It is truly magical as toast or grilled cheese sandwiches.
I haven’t been baking with sourdough in a while. I think it might be a good way to break up the ropy strands of gluten that sourdough can develop. I still don’t like the FP for kneading either. I prefer to scrape the dough out just as it balls up and knead by hand for a bit.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 16 November 2012 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

Very nice work Gene! It looks delicious!

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway