May I substitute potato water instead of warm water in a recipe to make my bread softer?
Posted: 15 November 2012 03:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-08-01

Hi Everybody

I have a really nice recipe for Rosemary Olive Knots which is a lean dough…I want to make my bread softer, may I add warm potato water to the yeast to get softer results?

The recipe mentions 1 1/2 cups warm water to which active dried yeast is to be added…will my rolls turn softer if I were to substitute potato water instead of warm water? Kindly revert, thanks…

Posted: 15 November 2012 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Hard to imagine that the potato water will have enough starch in it to make the texture noticeably softer.  It might be quite tasty, though smile

For a softer, more tender bread you can do one of three things: use a lower-protein flour (like GM unbleached AP instead of bread flour or a stronger AP like KAF), add some butter or oil to the formula, or boil some potatoes and use both the water for the liquid in the recipe and substitute some of the cooked potato for some of the flour + water.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 15 November 2012 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-01

Thanks Julie, would do that…my dad has requested for it again, so will get back with the results soon, smile.

Thanks once again.

Posted: 15 November 2012 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27
Sharon Vinod - 15 November 2012 03:36 PM

Thanks Julie, would do that…my dad has requested for it again, so will get back with the results soon, smile.

Thanks once again.

Or you can use instant potato flakes. (But don’t tell Julie…she probably wouldn’t approve.)

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 16 November 2012 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2012-11-12

agree with Julie.. Ligurian Bread recipe calls for a couple of mashed potatoes.. for a soft bread. smile

Posted: 17 November 2012 12:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-01

Yes Charles/Priyanka…

Going to add mashed potatoes…in a day or two…will get back on the results….thanks a bunch

Posted: 27 November 2012 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-01

Hi, reporting back on the Rosemary Olive Oil Knots…

Yes, i did add a mashed potato and that solved my chewy bread problem! Thanks so much…kindly chek my new blog for detailed pix and a write up, the link is

http://flavorrules.wordpress.com/2012/11/21/rosemary-olive-oil-knots-my-take/

Thanks once again everybody!!