Rum Cake w Rum Icing
Posted: 16 November 2012 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

I don’t usually like to share non-Rose recipes on this site, but since Rose mentioned Bouchon Bakery on her blog, I felt it would not be too rude to post a picture of one of the recipes I made from that book.

This is the Rum Cake with Rum Icing on page 106.  After baking, it is soaked in a rum-simple syrup.

I haven’t tasted it but how can it be bad. After all, it contains more than a pound of butter and a dozens eggs. Not to mention almost 3 cups of sugar.

I’m not going to be having it, for sure; but, if it tastes as good as it looks, I might make one for Thanksgiving.

I also made the pumpkin jumbo muffins on page 86. Aesthetically, they were the most perfect muffins I ever made. As for taste, they were good.

Happy Thanksgiving friends!

Image Attachments
IMG_5694.jpg

Posted: 17 November 2012 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

It looks picture-perfect, Flour Girl!  Hope you’ll report back on how it tastes (maybe just a little taste?).  I love pumpkin muffins, good to know it’s a nice recipe smile

For Thanksgiving this year, I’ll be using plenty of Rose’s recipes (pie crust, Gougeres, turkey/stuffing), but also a few of my own.  Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 17 November 2012 01:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you Julie. I tasted a crumb and my husband had a piece and he loved it. He told me to add it to his list of favorites. I will be making it again for Thanksgiving.

One thing about this recipe, as Thomas Keller noted, if the eggs are over beaten the cake will rise then deflate.  I thought that was going to happen to me because the cake baked taller than the bundt pan.  The half-inch which was taller than the pan was a little more baked than the rest of the cake.  Thomas Keller provides mixer speed settings for the Kitchenaid Artisan. I have the Pro600 and used the beater blade. Perhaps that is why my cake rose higher than the pan. I will fill the pan a little less next time.

I liked the pumpkin muffin recipe.  There are several nice muffin recipes in the book I am looking forward to making.  What I liked about the muffin recipes is that he tells you how many grams of batter to fill each cup. He puts the muffin pan on a scale and tares after each cup is filled.  I thought that was very helpful because my muffins are never consistent.

Posted: 17 November 2012 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Julie - 17 November 2012 04:02 AM

For Thanksgiving this year, I’ll be using plenty of Rose’s recipes (pie crust, Gougeres, turkey/stuffing), but also a few of my own.  Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

Thank you.

I read you were developing your own recipes. I think that is very cool! I hope you post pictures when you get a chance.

Posted: 17 November 2012 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2012-11-12

Looks great…... Flour Girl! smile

Posted: 17 November 2012 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

grin Thank you so much!

Posted: 19 November 2012 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Beautiful!  Glad to hear it’s delicious as it looks!!!

Posted: 19 November 2012 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you! It is really amazing. My husband is making everyone at work taste it.

Posted: 19 November 2012 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you Flour Girl for the post.  I have been looking for a rum cake.  However, I do wish it had rum in the batter….somehow.  I may have to check that book out

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 20 November 2012 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi CRenee,

There is rum in the batter.

After the batter is mixed you take 1 cup of the batter and mix it with rum and then combine with the rest of the batter.

There is also a rum-simple sugar syrup. The cake is soaked after baking.

The icing also has rum in it. It is nice and thick and delicious.

Posted: 20 November 2012 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

New work from Flour Girl! It looks delicious!

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 20 November 2012 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you Cookie Monster grin

Posted: 21 November 2012 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

You ‘re welcome as always! :D

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 21 November 2012 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I have a new one baking in the oven now. It is always stressful, for me, until it is unmolded. I’m bringing it to my MIL for Thanksgiving dinner.

I’m also making Bobby Flay’s Pumpkin Bread Pudding w Spicy Apple-Carmel Sauce.  I’ve already baked the pumpkin bread. Tomorrow I cube it, toast it and use it in the recipe.

What is everyone else making?