Corn Syrup vs. Glucose Syrup for modeling chocolate
Posted: 17 November 2012 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2012-11-12

Which ingredient is most recommended for making modeling chocolate?
Will the modeling chocolate be better if corn syrup is used. Will glucose syrup give the exact effect as corn syrup?

Posted: 18 November 2012 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2010-01-24

I used the recipe for modeling chocolate from TCB which is used corn syrup. It is easy to make and easy to use. If the modeling chocolate is hard, you can put it in the microwave to soften the mc a little bit.
I don’t use glucose syrup so I don’t know how it will turn out.

Posted: 18 November 2012 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-11-12

ok! Thanks Bean…
i’d also like to hear from someone who has tried glucose and how it turned out. I wanted to know whether it more manageable with corn syrup. I have both the ingredients but a big jar of glucose that I wish to use up..but since most of the recipes have corn syrup in it.. I was wondering whether i should be taking this risk and ruining some chocolate with glucose! 

Thanks again Bean! smile

Posted: 18 November 2012 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

In general LOL there is not much difference between the two products. Corn syrup is mainly glucose which is made from corn starch where as glucose syrup is mainly glucose which can be made from many other starches. There are no standards for consumer syrups so manufacturers can do pretty much what they want. It should be fine but just in case do a small amount as a test first.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 19 November 2012 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  675
Joined  2012-01-12

I have always corn syrup,  the lighter colored one when I made my chocolate clay..aka molding chocolate.. these cakes are covered and deocrated w/ modeling chocolate.. really is there a big difference ? don’t think so.

Image Attachments
guittardcake-1.jpgvalentinewrapcake.jpgbluewrap.jpg

Posted: 19 November 2012 01:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-11-12

Thanks Gene! smile and yes..I will do a small test batch.. i do that for anything I make for the first time smile thanks again! smile

Posted: 19 November 2012 02:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-11-12

Prettycake! loving all your cake designs! totally adore the blue one.. the draping is amazing! almost like a real dress! smile

The thing is that, I just felt that since glucose it thicker than corn syrup.. and that it needs to be microwaved to be incorporated.. I wondered if it would stiffen up once it cools down in the chocolate… that was my concern.

I also had thought about adding glycerine to it to make it more pliable. Would anyone recommend that?

I also wanted to know.. If I covered my cupcakes with modelling chocolate a day before i gave them to someone, will it stay well?. What all things do i need to know. How do I store the cupcakes (overnight)? I do not wish to refrigerate the cupcakes. I hope there is an alternative.

Posted: 19 November 2012 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  675
Joined  2012-01-12

Thank U

Do not add anything else but the corn syrup.. after you add the corn syrup,  like instantly it would look like it is a mess…  but don’t worry it will get smooth after kneading a few minutes.  I freeze mine for about 15 minutes before I start working on it.  good luck.

Posted: 20 November 2012 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-11-12

Ok. Thanks for all your tips! smile